Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I doubt anyone here is that naive. But the comparison that really matters is how our SA’s academically compare to the mean NCAA football player. We routinely have one of, if not the, highest class SAT average in college football. That ain’t no coincidence. Relative to the rest of college football, we’re the smart kids.

True. Self imposed too

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there is a desire in the posts to 'educate' sidewalk fans. The whole discussion was started by a post claiming that there is not a difference in curriculum between Stanford and GT. I think all of the posts were down a rabbit hole(at least for this thread) from that assertion, not something aimed at being snobbish towards people who didn't attend GT.
Well, just for the record, I ain't the one who said Tech and Stanford are the same academically. I was saying we can have similar FOOTBALL success being attractive to top SAs, as opposed to the rent-an-NFL-draft-pick system at factories. The people saying our situation is TOTALLY different from Stanford's are overselling that, as if they are like UGA and Clemson. That's not true.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The thing is I'm guessing some of this microdetail is aimed to 'educate' the sidewalk fan peons who, frankly, don't need the education on it. Yes, I know Stanford and Duke have easier liberal arts degrees without calculus. Yes, I know Georgia Tech has much more limited majors. Yes, I know Georgia Tech requires a real world work ethic to get through. But the recruits we're poaching from UCF and USF because our top targets are going to South Carolina and Tennessee don't have any different of an academic profile than those higher ranked we lose out in, I guarantee. CPJ was able to get 86% of his players the academic support they needed to get through Tech. 'We can do that'.

While I personally didn't go to Tech my brother did. I understand. It took him 5+ years to graduate with ME. This is a guy with a 130+ IQ. He had to transfer to Auburn for a quarter to get his GPA back up. So I'm not ignorant of the things you're talking about.

I think our fans (sidewalk and alums) in general are very bright, so I am not sure "educate" is the right word, as I would not want to talk down to anyone. Everyone has value. Your synopsis is well versed, and for my part, I just wasn't sure that all of our fans know that a STEM school is really not comparable to a high end private college. But, if everyone already knows, my bad. :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Geoff Collins, if he becomes the guy, some interesting nuggets off the bat for 2019:
  • Assuming Collins is doing bowl prep, that means he's already started scouting Duke, whether he coaches the bowl game or not.
  • We play at Temple. That's an opponent who would have to transition, if the hire doesn't come from within.
  • We play at home vs USF. Collins knows USF already. Temple beat USF in Philly 27-17 just a few weeks ago. Temple lost at USF in 2017.

GT_EE78

Banned
Trevor Lawrence played plenty, and James Graham played very little. I don't even understand your point any more.
just that he would have surpassed the others to become starter if he was that good at that position. regardless of the new offense he's in a good spot and could star at any one of several positions.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Re: Geoff Collins, if he becomes the guy, some interesting nuggets off the bat for 2019:
  • Assuming Collins is doing bowl prep, that means he's already started scouting Duke, whether he coaches the bowl game or not.
  • We play at Temple. That's an opponent who would have to transition, if the hire doesn't come from within.
  • We play at home vs USF. Collins knows USF already. Temple beat USF in Philly 27-17 just a few weeks ago. Temple lost at USF in 2017.
Hopefully Coach Cutcliffe will retire following Duke's bowl game with Temple:)

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m trying to read the tea leaves like everybody else. What do y’all make of the fact it appears as if all the assistant coaches are still going full throttle on the recruiting trail and no commits have pulled back. On top of that, we added a commit. I think it leads to 2 possible candidates(not going to say who or why I think right now to get unbiased opinions). How do y’all read the assistant coach and commits. (Lead to candidate X or doesn’t mean anything in terms of the next HC.

I personally don't think it means anything, other than the coaches just making sure our voice is still out there while we're in this kind of limbo. To be honest, I would be ok with it if this is the route we chose, but all the other alternatives excite me a little bit more. Even if it means a few down years.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing the BOR controls curriculum?

We control sat levels of SA admission dude! Regardless of cirriculum. Then someone will bring in that our school is hard so we need higher sat. Yet. Retention has doubled in 10 years. Meaning its actually lightened up. Weed out is not the same. Therefore we can go back to what we recruited 15 years ago and still be fine. We were fine then. We will be fine now.

Plus we have a president that instagrams dont kill yourself over finals videos now. Tech has become a bear hug school. There is no way they will allow a underprivileged SA fail out anymore. Abuse the system. Gt athletics needs to get balls

Also to note. BOR doesnt control pre requisite and elective requirements. All college within the school mandated

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, just for the record, I ain't the one who said Tech and Stanford are the same academically. I was saying we can have similar FOOTBALL success being attractive to top SAs, as opposed to the rent-an-NFL-draft-pick system at factories. The people saying our situation is TOTALLY different from Stanford's are overselling that, as if they are like UGA and Clemson. That's not true.
We both go after smart kids. The big difference is they have more an easier majors. Believe it or not, all smart kids or not interested in stem. Another big difference is the prestige factor is heavily weighted in their favor. Another huge factor is their recruiting budget dwarfs ours. Add that all up and we have a much tougher row to hoe.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We both go after smart kids. The big difference is they have more an easier majors. Believe it or not, all smart kids or not interested in stem. Another big difference is the prestige factor is heavily weighted in their favor. Another huge factor is their recruiting budget dwarfs ours. Add that all up and we have a much tougher row to hoe.

And. We also cut over 50 percent of our recruiting pool off the bat. Add that in too!!!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We control sat levels of SA admission dude! Regardless of cirriculum. Then someone will bring in that our school is hard so we need higher sat. Yet. Retention has doubled in 10 years. Meaning its actually lightened up. Weed out is not the same. Therefore we can go back to what we recruited 15 years ago and still be fine. We were fine then. We will be fine now.

Plus we have a president that instagrams dont kill yourself over finals videos now. Tech has become a bear hug school. There is no way they will allow a underprivileged SA fail out anymore. Abuse the system. Gt athletics needs to get balls

Also to note. BOR doesnt control pre requisite and elective requirements. All college within the school mandated
The last few times we tried to go with academic exceptions we got bitten in the *** big time. I think that’s why CPJ went full bore towards the opposite end of the spectrum. I think that’s the way to go with maybe a few exceptions mixed in. either way we’re still going to need twice or three times the recruiting budget.

Getting our *** landed on academic probation has really scared the administration. It doesn’t matter whose fault it was. I highly doubt they’re going to loosen entrance requirements for SA’s anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.