Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I generally like what TStan says, though — being paranoid as I am – I read "knows who we are" as if he is saying "went to GT." Hope not.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I generally like what TStan says, though — being paranoid as I am – I read "knows who we are" as if he is saying "went to GT." Hope not.

Collins "knows who we are" too, as he had two separate stints working here.

I think it's mostly reassuring. It should put to bed the rumor that it is Whisenhunt's job to turn down, as TStan says the interviews (plural) are ongoing.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know it’s not happening, but if Saban said you know what I need a new challenge I want to go to GT you would turn him down. Cause he is at the summit. Collins in my opinion would need to have a great season at temple for me to want him.
I would, but not for that reason only. (I mean, we should let out minds careen, but Tech providing Saban what he needs to win? I am not that wild.) As lawyers say, I will stipulate Alabama wins. And wins. And wins. No argument from me. They win. It is also the most controlled, mind-numbing, rigid, fear-driven college football atmosphere in America. There is a reason the Saban "model" has not been adapted, and that even Smart -- his most successful acolyte -- and Pruitt have veered away from such an oppressive atmosphere in their programs. (I mean, Alabama coaches not even speaking to one another?) You argue they win? I agree. They win. If that is the goal, they win.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From TStan:

Dear Georgia Tech community,

Wow – it’s been an eventful week, to say the least. I know from your emails, phone calls and social media that you have questions about our search for a new football head coach and the announcement that we have been selected to participate in the Quick Lane Bowl vs. Minnesota on Dec. 26. I will try to answer those questions in this space.

FOOTBALL HEAD COACH SEARCH

First and foremost, I would be remiss if I didn’t take the opportunity to once again thank Paul Johnson for all that he’s done in his 11 years here on The Flats. He’s the winningest coach at Georgia Tech since Bobby Dodd, he’s led us to more first- and-second-place finishes in ACC divisional play (7) than every other program besides Clemson (9), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7) and his players are graduating at an 86-percent clip (after the football program’s NCAA Graduation Success Rate had been as low as 48 percent prior to his arrival). I’m saddened that he will no longer be leading our football program but am happy for him to be able to spend more time with his wife, Susan, and his daughter, Kaitlyn, after 40-straight years of coaching. We are planning to have a public event to give everyone the opportunity to show our gratitude to Coach Johnson and his family – stay tuned for details.

Since Coach Johnson told me of his intent to step down last Wednesday, I have been actively working to identify the very best fit for Georgia Tech. That person will be someone who knows who they are, knows who we are, understands that Georgia Tech isn’t a “plug-and-play” situation and has a plan on how to be successful here. The only way to learn who best fits is through the interview process, which is ongoing.

While the search is ongoing, I know that there have already been media reports concerning this potential candidate or that potential candidate, and that those reports will continue throughout the process. While I don’t intend to conduct the search publicly, I do ask that you don’t put too much stock into the media reports – some might be accurate, but many will be inaccurate. I can assure you, however, that there is great interest in becoming the next football head coach at Georgia Tech and we will continue to work diligently to identify the very best person to lead our football program, compete for championships and develop and graduate young people who will change the world.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
collins is around 2 million

elliot around 900k or so

imo collins would come here for the same salary with incentives tied into performance...thats how I would negotiate it. However at tech we tend to blow our loads

If Collins is at 2Mill, then that does not give us a lot of room, if we want to pay his assistants more. I would think we would have to offer him a base of at least 2.3 or so, and like you said, then tie in some extra incentive pay for conf championship, bowl, beat UGAG, etc. Before he left Florida, he was making 1Mill as a DC.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
so here is the thing about geoff. I remember him well. He is a bigtime GOL tree guy. He loved tech, and being on that staff. I remember him as a GA, talked to him a bit he worked on O; BOB was our RB coach. It was a really solid tree. When GOL left he did, he kinda had too. Chan kept BOB; but wanted to do some different things. Geoff probably would have gone with GOL to ND.

After a few years he kinda begged/badgered/borrowed and stealed to get back here on Chans staff. So he got kinda an admin job. He was a really strong recruiter; did a good job; but couldn't turn down Bama. He made a bad choice trying to pull kids from us there, gave it a bad taste in everyones mouth. I wouldn't say he burnt bridges so much as didn't need to do it. But he was a young dude, trying to make a splash, fiery type. Very ambitious.

Geoff wants to be here. For sure.

The only problem is this. He has a track record of it too. He was tech Dr of personnel. left after one year for the same position at bama...school upgrade.
He was DC for Miss St for a short time. Left, to UF for same position. School upgrade.
He went to temple, short time, HC, maybe now Tech in same position, school upgrade.

He has lived in more cities in the Southeast than most I know of over a short tenure.

So if this is our coach, IF, then tech needs a hefty buyout on his end. Because either way we will be stuck with his pricetage if we fire him. Otherwise...he could do ok here for 2 years and make a splash and be gone in a heartbeat IMO.

Very insightful. Thanks for posting this.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From TStan:

Wow – it’s been an eventful week, to say the least. I know from your emails, phone calls and social media that you have questions about our search for a new football head coach and the announcement that we have been selected to participate in the Quick Lane Bowl vs. Minnesota on Dec. 26. I will try to answer those questions in this space.

First and foremost, I would be remiss if I didn’t take the opportunity to once again thank Paul Johnson for all that he’s done in his 11 years here on The Flats. He’s the winningest coach at Georgia Tech since Bobby Dodd, he’s led us to more first- and-second-place finishes in ACC divisional play (7) than every other program besides Clemson (9), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7) and his players are graduating at an 86-percent clip (after the football program’s NCAA Graduation Success Rate had been as low as 48 percent prior to his arrival). I’m saddened that he will no longer be leading our football program but am happy for him to be able to spend more time with his wife, Susan, and his daughter, Kaitlyn, after 40-straight years of coaching. We are planning to have a public event to give everyone the opportunity to show our gratitude to Coach Johnson and his family – stay tuned for details.

Since Coach Johnson told me of his intent to step down last Wednesday, I have been actively working to identify the very best fit for Georgia Tech. That person will be someone who knows who they are, knows who we are, understands that Georgia Tech isn’t a “plug-and-play” situation and has a plan on how to be successful here. The only way to learn who best fits is through the interview process, which is ongoing.

While the search is ongoing, I know that there have already been media reports concerning this potential candidate or that potential candidate, and that those reports will continue throughout the process. While I don’t intend to conduct the search publicly, I do ask that you don’t put too much stock into the media reports – some might be accurate, but many will be inaccurate. I can assure you, however, that there is great interest in becoming the next football head coach at Georgia Tech and we will continue to work diligently to identify the very best person to lead our football program, compete for championships and develop and graduate young people who will change the world.
Would you please post the link to this? Thanks.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
so here is the thing about geoff. I remember him well. He is a bigtime GOL tree guy. He loved tech, and being on that staff. I remember him as a GA, talked to him a bit he worked on O; BOB was our RB coach. It was a really solid tree. When GOL left he did, he kinda had too. Chan kept BOB; but wanted to do some different things. Geoff probably would have gone with GOL to ND.

After a few years he kinda begged/badgered/borrowed and stealed to get back here on Chans staff. So he got kinda an admin job. He was a really strong recruiter; did a good job; but couldn't turn down Bama. He made a bad choice trying to pull kids from us there, gave it a bad taste in everyones mouth. I wouldn't say he burnt bridges so much as didn't need to do it. But he was a young dude, trying to make a splash, fiery type. Very ambitious.

Geoff wants to be here. For sure.

The only problem is this. He has a track record of it too. He was tech Dr of personnel. left after one year for the same position at bama...school upgrade.
He was DC for Miss St for a short time. Left, to UF for same position. School upgrade.
He went to temple, short time, HC, maybe now Tech in same position, school upgrade.

He has lived in more cities in the Southeast than most I know of over a short tenure.

So if this is our coach, IF, then tech needs a hefty buyout on his end. Because either way we will be stuck with his pricetage if we fire him. Otherwise...he could do ok here for 2 years and make a splash and be gone in a heartbeat IMO.
Unless by some miracle we are in the CCG and pushing into the playoffs each year - basically doing what Clemson has done, I think just about any coach could get poached from Tech with consistent 9 win seasons. There's always gonna be a bigger program that has more money and more focus on football.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
My sources are telling me Paul Johnson feels bad about iLoveTheOption leaving and has decided to sign a new 30 year contract. Wiz is going to be the new offensive line coach and Calvin Johnson is going to be the new T-shirt cannon guy on the sidelines. TStan stressed the importance of a “Tech Guy” shooting shirts into the stands. You heard it here first.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Who would Collins bring in as the offensive coordinator? Friedgen?????? Bring back the buffet!!!

Petrino went back to Loserville.
Mack’s back at UNC. Texas Tech apparently wanted to offer Leach their job, but he publicly announced he wasn’t interested. The Fridge back at The Flats isn’t completely asinine considering college football the last few years. This is the sport that gave us a defensive Hesiman candidate with an imaginary dead girlfriend, after all.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
From TStan:

Did this get cut off? He didn't say anything about the quicklane bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.