Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
for those Kliff Kingsbury lovers/haters: : #USC set to hire former Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury. Sources have said the two sides have agreed to a deal in principle.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, IIUC, there is an interview period between the playoff games.

Can anyone confirm my faulty memory here?
You’re thinking of the NFL. A rule like that does exist there. College football is much more wild Wild West.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
After getting past the "majors" issue, they have to be academically qualified to get into Tech, stay eligible and advance toward a degree. Everyone thinks you just magically bring in a better "recruiter" and the problem is solved. That is delusional. The fact is, considering the limitations, CPJ was working miracles.
We can do better

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
By spending a lot more money. Not by just switching HC.
I disagree, his offense alone costs us talent every year on both sides of the ball. If we get the right guy in here, who appeals to kids, who has an offense that kids see as a possible path to the nfl we will get more talent period. We used to have those 1-8 players, CPJ won big with them in 08-09, it can happen again.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Whisenhunt was just asked about his interest in and if he's been contact about the GT opening at the 6:50 mark

Last edited:

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree, his offense alone costs us talent every year on both sides of the ball. If we get the right guy in here, who appeals to kids, who has an offense that kids see as a possible path to the nfl we will get more talent period. We used to have those 1-8 players, CPJ won big with them in 08-09, it can happen again.
Not sure that's quite it - it's an easy argument but not totally accurate. I think the bigger thing is recruiting has to be a passion. It has to be 24/7 - social media, texts, calls, visits, etc. The relentless nature of a proven recruiter like Tony Elliot will give you a bump. A great example in our backyard - Richt was a good recruiter, Kirby is a great recruiter. Both ran systems that produced NFL talent. Both were at the same school. Kirby's just relentless - and that's what we need if we're going to think about competing. Money and resources are nice and would certainly help, but those aren't the only variables.

Scheme may help with a player or two a year, but a change there with everything else remaining constant isn't going to get you to the next level.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not sure that's quite it - it's an easy argument but not totally accurate. I think the bigger thing is recruiting has to be a passion. It has to be 24/7 - social media, texts, calls, visits, etc. The relentless nature of a proven recruiter like Tony Elliot will give you a bump. A great example in our backyard - Richt was a good recruiter, Kirby is a great recruiter. Both ran systems that produced NFL talent. Both were at the same school. Kirby's just relentless - and that's what we need if we're going to think about competing. Money and resources are nice and would certainly help, but those aren't the only variables.

Scheme may help with a player or two a year, but a change there with everything else remaining constant isn't going to get you to the next level.

Thanks Capt. Obvious, of course he needs to be a great recruiter and has to have some go-getters on staff

Status
Not open for further replies.