#POSTGAME uga 37 - GT 14

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Actually, even the SEC homers on ESPN said that our coverage was excellent. Yeah, there was one long pass, but other than that it was d*mn good. I don't know what game you watched. There were a couple of blown plays, but all in all not bad on defense at all considering. I'll be interested to hear what Sed has to say about the coverage.

And I always hate "they weren't playing well." Lazy biased take in my opinion. Maybe, just maybe, we had something to do with it. It's a mental game too, after all.
I’m not sure my post said anything about pass coverage so that is a weird rant. As for how well they played, that is subjective. If you think that is one of the best games they have played this year, I’ll just say that you are entitled to that opinion.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Guys writing $100,000 checks aren't out there betting on games. The drunk frat guys are.
At least not the guys writing $100,000 that earned it. The ones who inherit it or get it by dumb luck are exactly the types who go to Vegas to burn through their cash. Easy come, easy go...

I thought it was a bit classless to go for it, but whatever dude. We are on our way back and will be a thorn in his side going forward.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Too many mistakes to win. Oth, the plays that led to them weren't too bad and you can't blame the game plan for drops. The coaches had obviously watched the Ugag - UK game and we tried to do the same. But the guys who were open often didn't cooperate. A few observations:

• Given the time to throw, Gibson is a pretty good QB. It would have been interesting if Pyron had played, however. Having to bring in a QB who could run instead of having a decent passer who could run on the field made life too easy for the Ugag D. I think the run game would have worked better if there was a real threat of an RPO, but Ugag's D is rated 1st for a reason. Unfortunately.

• Again, the D played better then the score indicates. The hype about Ugag's OL is not hype, those people are good. And their RBs are as well, though we've seen better this year. Still, a decent performance for the most part. You can't expect a D to respond effectively to a pretty good team when the O is not holding the field. Again, imho the big stat for the game is that the Dwags were on the field 3 minutes longer then Tech was. Tech had to win TOP to have a chance - however small - to win.

• I suppose the big question is did this performance get Key the job as HC? I don't think so, but I'm not Batt. I think the two things Key has in his favor are that Tech can afford him and the team pulled together well when he was coach. Imho, the talent was there for a 6 - 7 win team if he had the helm from the first. Maybe. But losing to Ugag by 23 points only looks good when you consider last year's complete breakdown. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision, but I'd go after Chadwell, provided I had the money.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure my post said anything about pass coverage so that is a weird rant. As for how well they played, that is subjective. If you think that is one of the best games they have played this year, I’ll just say that you are entitled to that opinion.
What I was saying that parts of the team played well enough that a call to "clean house" is baseless. That's all, not a 'weird rant' at all. But nice try! ;)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What I was saying that parts of the team played well enough that a call to "clean house" is baseless. That's all, not a 'weird rant' at all. But nice try! ;)
If you ignore the post you are responding to and just post whatever random things you want then it is a fairly weird response but you do you bro.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
Guys writing $100,000 checks aren't out there betting on games. The drunk frat guys are.
Yes, you are correct.
Kirby and Dabo for sure like to cover for the drunk great guys!

When Switzer coached OU, I called my guy, asked line on OU vs Kansas.
OU -59.5, I said give me OU for a 1.00.

Final score: OU 63 Kansas 0

Switzer always covered if he had the chance!

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, you are correct.
Kirby and Dabo for sure like to cover for the drunk great guys!

When Switzer coached OU, I called my guy, asked line on OU vs Kansas.
OU -59.5, I said give me OU for a 1.00.

Final score: OU 63 Kansas 0

Switzer always covered if he had the chance!
Frat guys

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Extremely impressed in the 1st qtr only to be disappointed that we reverted back to classic tech. Either way though we didn't win be happy that we looked competitive for a bit

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sorry dude. I'll draw the lines between the points for you next time!
Next time someone makes a comment about about the disparate talent level of the two teams and your response is to rant about the pass coverage in the game, yes, please connect the dots on that nonsense if you don’t want to look like an idiot.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Next time someone makes a comment about about the disparate talent level of the two teams and your response is to rant about the pass coverage in the game, yes, please connect the dots on that nonsense if you don’t want to look like an idiot.
Okay. Whatever. Have a nice day.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
He actually said, needs two feet down, secure the ball, and make a football move for it to be a catch.
The only problem is that is not the rule. The rule states the player must catch the ball, touch the ground, then maintain control long enough to perform an act common to the game. For example he could run, try to avoid a tackle, dive forward for a 1st down, etc. Nowhere does it say 2 feet down unless the rule book changed this year and I got an old copy.

The mutt caught the ball, touched the ground with both feet even though it's not required and made a move to avoid a tackle. It was a fumble by the rules.

The TD catch was not a catch per the rules. The receiver must catch the ball and gain firm control before it touches the ground, not simultaneously with touching the ground, it has to be caught in flight first then it can touch the ground. The TD catch was not caught before it touched the ground.

This ref crew need not ref another game this year. Doubtful they do because this was likely at best the #5 SEC ref crew doing this game & could be the #7 if the Egg Bowl and/or Mizzou-Ark crews were ineligible to ref games this weekend. Basically we got the guys that normally cover the 1-aa games and it showed.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We played hard and I credit the coaches for having a good game plan as well as having the team ready to play. Key deserves to stay but I don’t think he is ready to be head coach.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The only problem is that is not the rule. The rule states the player must catch the ball, touch the ground, then maintain control long enough to perform an act common to the game. For example he could run, try to avoid a tackle, dive forward for a 1st down, etc. Nowhere does it say 2 feet down unless the rule book changed this year and I got an old copy.

The mutt caught the ball, touched the ground with both feet even though it's not required and made a move to avoid a tackle. It was a fumble by the rules.

The TD catch was not a catch per the rules. The receiver must catch the ball and gain firm control before it touches the ground, not simultaneously with touching the ground, it has to be caught in flight first then it can touch the ground. The TD catch was not caught before it touched the ground.

This ref crew need not ref another game this year. Doubtful they do because this was likely at best the #5 SEC ref crew doing this game & could be the #7 if the Egg Bowl and/or Mizzou-Ark crews were ineligible to ref games this weekend. Basically we got the guys that normally cover the 1-aa games and it showed.
We also got super fortunate on the missed pass interference call in the end zone that resulted in a FG. And the facemask/no horse collar that probably took 7 off the board.