Postgame Press Conference #USFvsGT

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My critique for Lucas = Inaccurate passing and seems to have jumpy feet, wanting to scramble away from the pocket too soon ... could just be rusty and need some more reps, but he wouldn't be my #1 choice.

Deleted member 2897

Rotating key players like the QB isn't just hard on OL/WR, its also hard on the QB. Its hard to get into a rhythm if you only get 1 series. I'm not going to second guess CGC until we get another couple games under our belt. It could very well be he gave TO (QB1) most of game 1, and LJ (QB2) most of game 2, and then we'll see if James Graham gets most of game 3, or if TO does again. It could be that's CGCs goal here - give 1 guy most of the time as a live bullet audition, and let others get some spot time.

In my ignorant peanut gallery view, TO can play a run-heavy offense and run it well. LJ to me still looks tentative and off a step (from his injuries?). JG twice to me has looked good enough to warrant more time. TO was green last year and when they brought him in at first they'd run literally 2 plays over and over. I'm sure they can come up with something similar for JG to simplify what he has to do.

If you look at Jordan Mason, he had 20 of the 21 carries from the RB position. Certainly looks like getting into a rhythm helps him.

Our defense to me continues to do extremely well. We gave up 52 to Clemson, but 21 were from turnovers inside our own 25. We gave up 10 to USF, but 7 was from a turnover inside our own 25. So in 2 games, absent those bad turnovers, we've given up 17 points a game on average, which includes playing the National Champion.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything, especially the OL in general (not just injuries. However I think the tea leaves point towards Graham. My gut tells me the staff wanted to give all three QBs an extended chance, and instead of just doing it in one game, they decided to give each extended time in separate games. I think they gave Oliver Clemson because he is the one that had game experience, best fit the running attack we'd want to do anyways against them, but also because I think they had an idea of him being at a different position in the future going in. I think Graham's play against Clemson reassured the staff that Graham can eventually be the guy at QB and so started incorporating Oliver at other other positions in anticipation. IMO LJ had his opportunity against USF to show that he can do what it takes to help cover for the limitations of the team, but came up short. Now it was just one game, but I think put the ball in Graham's court if he does start against Citadel.

Of course I could be completely wrong and we just end up with Oliver playing most snaps from the QB spot.
My buddy at the game thinks Graham moves like a certain legendary QB who played for OLeary and Friedgen and I don’t disagree. I don’t think Graham did much this week to stake a claim though, but again I think the OL is our biggest problem.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
so is this just BS? in 2018 temple basically only played Russo. There were 250 passes thrown all year, 200 was russo. As I understand they started out 0-2, using Nutile, he got benched. Russo played the rest of the year.

that sounds like deciding on a qb to me; and making a change when needed

in 2017 they used 2 qb's all year, Collins first year. But, what you will notice is one QB got all the reps in half the games, and the other in half the games. Again, it was a case of deciding on a starter, and benching him after a handful of games for the other guys due to results.

It looks to me, in both cases the complaint is probably each had a QB change during the season. But; in both years, they started out with 1 guy basically, and switched to the other guy.

Temple wasn't doing what we are doing. What we are doing I don't expect to happen beyond this year. I think eventually we have a bulk of the starts guy, and maybe have wildcat packages etc like anyone else does. If a guy isn't performing then yeah he can get benched
Thanks for the additional context. I didn’t really look into it but had remembered reading it. I don’t really have a problem with playing multiple qbs and was mainly trying to help with expectations.