Postgame Press Conference #USFvsGT

Milwaukee

Banned
I love the fact that he is so dialed into the special teams units. Nice hearing him mention the gunners by name and what their responsibility is based on keeping everyone back to protect Harvin so he can boom.

Sucks hearing him talk about the qb situation. Sounds to me from hearing this is we are going to always and forever just rotate qbs every other play while he is our hc.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I love the fact that he is so dialed into the special teams units. Nice hearing him mention the gunners by name and what their responsibility is based on keeping everyone back to protect Harvin so he can boom.

Sucks hearing him talk about the qb situation. Sounds to me from hearing this is we are going to always and forever just rotate qbs every other play while he is our hc.
Til we have one guy who can do it all we probably will continue to see alternating QBs. What is your alternative?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Against
clemson - use guy that can run - burn clock. TOBIAS
Usf - 300# dl - try conservative passing LUCAS
Citadel- against crazy d GRAHAM.
Temple- final audition for season.

From then on( subject to flame out ) the top guy gets 80% or more playing time. The others are ready to do their thing in case of injury or special need.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Til we have one guy who can do it all we probably will continue to see alternating QBs. What is your alternative?
You do understand alternating QB's is very hard on the OL and WR's. Also other teams are not dumb they will notice which QBs run which plays then it starts to make us easy to defend. ( not that are having a hard time now )

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
You do understand alternating QB's is very hard on the OL and WR's. Also other teams are not dumb they will notice which QBs run which plays then it starts to make us easy to defend. ( not that are having a hard time now )
That’s assuming we continue to do the same thing every week and not improve. I didn’t see Oliver in the slot with Graham at QB up at Clemson, but my seats were further from the field and I was having a hard time reading the jersey #’s.

We talk a lot about the 3 QB’s but aside from that, I’m seeing a lot more rotation of players on D with pretty consistent results. Aside from the QBs and the TEs, we aren’t seeing as much rotation on offense. JP has established himself as the guy. I think we are just going to have to be patient and roll with what we’ve got.

I’m rewatching the game right now, and I see why Collins loves Cottrell as a gunner.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The negativity of "Grumphy Old Men of Tech" (aka gtswarm) forced me to look at gt football twitter.
#2 Tq carpenter posted on dl coach knights s twitter "- thanks for changing my life" . Near that coach knight - tweets - to recruits that at GT u will get on field - look today we played xxx freshmen.

Perhaps cgc has long term goals that require him to give the 3 totally green qb s plenty of opportunity before he picks one. We are headed UP.

Stay negative - Grumphy Old Men of Tech.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The negativity of "Grumphy Old Men of Tech" (aka gtswarm) forced me to look at gt football twitter.
#2 Tq carpenter posted on dl coach knights s twitter "- thanks for changing my life" . Near that coach knight - tweets - to recruits that at GT u will get on field - look today we played xxx freshmen.

Perhaps cgc has long term goals that require him to give the 3 totally green qb s plenty of opportunity before he picks one. We are headed UP.

Stay negative - Grumphy Old Men of Tech.
You’re no spring chicken yourself so speak for yourself throwing around “old men”. Grumpy... lol. If having an opinion makes me grumpy, then you got me.

Btw, your scenarios aren’t congruent. Rotating a whole bunch of defenders including freshmen on a scorcher against an incompetent offense has little to do with solidifying the most important piece of the whole damn puzzle.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
One of the criticism from Temple fans was their inability to ever decide on a qb. It seems like an platooning is our future.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re no spring chicken yourself so speak for yourself throwing around “old men”. Grumpy... lol. If having an opinion makes me grumpy, then you got me.

Btw, your scenarios aren’t congruent. Rotating a whole bunch of defenders including freshmen on a scorcher against an incompetent offense has little to do with solidifying the most important piece of the whole damn puzzle.

not to derail, but cheese, you need to step back and take a breathe and look at your posts. They are all negative, sarcastic eye roll types, and yes, grumpy and bitter is how they are coming off. Collins derangement syndrome has hit you the hardest. You can deny it or be defensive or whatever. But I read you in chat, and on this board and its all so negative. So if posters feel that way; there is a reason for it. I have no dog in this fight, lately I ignore your posts because they are negative and trolly and I would rather not bother. But its true.

Take a break and step back to cure your CDS

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
One of the criticism from Temple fans was their inability to ever decide on a qb. It seems like an platooning is our future.

so is this just BS? in 2018 temple basically only played Russo. There were 250 passes thrown all year, 200 was russo. As I understand they started out 0-2, using Nutile, he got benched. Russo played the rest of the year.

that sounds like deciding on a qb to me; and making a change when needed

in 2017 they used 2 qb's all year, Collins first year. But, what you will notice is one QB got all the reps in half the games, and the other in half the games. Again, it was a case of deciding on a starter, and benching him after a handful of games for the other guys due to results.

It looks to me, in both cases the complaint is probably each had a QB change during the season. But; in both years, they started out with 1 guy basically, and switched to the other guy.

Temple wasn't doing what we are doing. What we are doing I don't expect to happen beyond this year. I think eventually we have a bulk of the starts guy, and maybe have wildcat packages etc like anyone else does. If a guy isn't performing then yeah he can get benched

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Look no further than the running back position if you think that Collins and Patenaude don’t believe in going with one guy. JP Mason is the guy. Lucas got the majority of the work on Saturday, but we are trying to win the game too. Jeez.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Look no further than the running back position if you think that Collins and Patenaude don’t believe in going with one guy. JP Mason is the guy. Lucas got the majority of the work on Saturday, but we are trying to win the game too. Jeez.

I was going to say the same thing about Mason. Remember he is being coached by one of the younger and least experienced coaches too. Tashard is one of my favorite on staff (and we took classes together and had a shared friend group) but there is no way he is over ruling the OC and HC to have settled on a guy.

The QB situation will settle in the next few games. We are just getting game film to help evaluate the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

At temple the issue was that both year the QB who started the year as the starter turned out not to be the first choice. It wasn't an issue of deciding on a QB but rather than deciding on the wrong one. Last year they started with Nutile initially then went with Russo. It wasn't a rotation. They just changed starters. Year before it was similar except with Nutile being the one taking over for Marchi.

I imagine that experience is one reason why the staff is slow playing making a decision.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
At temple the issue was that both year the QB who started the year as the starter turned out not to be the first choice. It wasn't an issue of deciding on a QB but rather than deciding on the wrong one. Last year they started with Nutile initially then went with Russo. It wasn't a rotation. They just changed starters. Year before it was similar except with Nutile being the one taking over for Marchi.

I imagine that experience is one reason why the staff is slow playing making a decision.
The tea leaves are pointing toward Lucas IMO, but we’re trying to win games too. The Oline injury situation is a bigger issue than the QB situation right now. Just my opinion. Those who say that having 3 QBs just means you don’t have ONE are right, but the situation is fluid. One game at a time still holds true.

Anyone recall when Friedgen rotated Crenshaw with the Goose against FSU? If that’s what it takes, then just roll with it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The tea leaves are pointing toward Lucas IMO, but we’re trying to win games too. The Oline injury situation is a bigger issue than the QB situation right now. Just my opinion. Those who say that having 3 QBs just means you don’t have ONE are right, but the situation is fluid. One game at a time still holds true.

Anyone recall when Friedgen rotated Crenshaw with the Goose against FSU? If that’s what it takes, then just roll with it.
I could live with 2 the next 2 games but not 3

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I agree with everything, especially the OL in general (not just injuries. However I think the tea leaves point towards Graham. My gut tells me the staff wanted to give all three QBs an extended chance, and instead of just doing it in one game, they decided to give each extended time in separate games. I think they gave Oliver Clemson because he is the one that had game experience, best fit the running attack we'd want to do anyways against them, but also because I think they had an idea of him being at a different position in the future going in. I think Graham's play against Clemson reassured the staff that Graham can eventually be the guy at QB and so started incorporating Oliver at other other positions in anticipation. IMO LJ had his opportunity against USF to show that he can do what it takes to help cover for the limitations of the team, but came up short. Now it was just one game, but I think put the ball in Graham's court if he does start against Citadel.

Of course I could be completely wrong and we just end up with Oliver playing most snaps from the QB spot.