#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

JacketFan137

Banned
Zach was asked specifically about this in the post-game interviews. According to him, he "got a lot of practice with the 1's", and "had two great weeks of practice". He also said they "had a lot of plays that were there, we just didn't execute."
Based on his statement it appears that our coaches knew he might have to go in for Sims, and did what they could to prepare him. It obviously wasn't enough.
if this is true that’s even more concerning tbh. about the best excuse people can give him is that he lacked reps with the 1s

stigs02jrt

Banned
Gibson looked awful. HOWEVER, he never got playing time when we COULD have played him (e.g., garbage time vs Clemson and Ole Miss). For whatever reason, Collins/Long didn't let Gibson get some mop up action. It's basic coaching, empty the bench when the game is out of hand, let them get experience, but it seems like Collins was afraid to bench Sims for any reason. Not gonna pin Gibson's unpreparedness on Key, though.

Maybe we should have tried Pyron if he is even remotely mobile due to our lousy OL (plus Gibson was a statue with 5.0 40 speed and two left feet). But serious question, where was Gibson gonna throw it on that last play? I didn't see an alternate angle to show where the receivers were, and mind you, he was running left so a righty will have trouble putting anything on the ball.

stigs02jrt

Banned
Also, for folks asking why he didn't spike it: why didn't the coaches signal for him to spike it? They must have signaled in that last play, right? Or did Gibson just go it alone and tell everyone just to get open?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Last year, it seems they had a big, I mean huge, tight end that was a security blanket of sorts for Armstrong. I don't think they have him this year. The changing of coordinators and offense has clearly frustrated Armstrong. Imagine over 4,000 passing yards in a year. That is really something.
So 4000yds in say 12 games is 333 yds/g.
Against gt = 500 yds

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So 4000yds in say 12 games is 333 yds/g.
Against gt = 500 yds
Well, I didn't break it down I just happened to see it on the season chart from last year for UVA. The number of catches by Kemp, Wicks, and Thompson were way higher than what they have this year. Armstrong is a good quarterback but he can't do anything without a line blocking for him. He and Jeff should get together and share memories of hearing Ole' as the matadors let them through.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Taisun won’t play this year for tech. He’s horrible. From watching him in practice, the dude just can’t throw the ball at all. A few of our walkon QB’s were throwing better balls in practice and for being a running QB, his reads on running plays weren’t good either.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

“pure conjecture”. you’re just incorrect my man. full stop.

I haven't read most stuff posted but my take is the D played a great game and never let up at all. I'm really proud of the team overall.

The O without a healthy Sims was not competitive since the UVa D Line owned our O line all night. A true killer from our O was Sims INT in the EZ.

ST was a disaster on both sides. Blocked punts, missed EPs, missed FGs. The blocked punts are arguably due to the receiving team too, but the missed FG and EP were just sad.

I think we have less than 10% chance to win 6 games this season and go to a bowl since UVa was the worst on our schedule and Sims will not fully recover for quite a while. His strength is his legs and not his arm. But the big picture is very positive given the changes we have made and will make in later seasons. GT was NOT an embarrassment on Thursday like we were against Ole Miss and UCF.

I'm ok with whoever is selected as HC since I think we have a good process in place from all we've seen. Then go to the portal and make a team. What we really need is a lot of NIL money to pay the players and SEC wage.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What adaptations rectify "can't block"?

That's the big problem. Right there for everyone to see. The OL ain't good. Fix that and lots of other things look 1000% better.
That helps, but in the gun you have a couple of seconds even when no one is blocked. We need a short passing game. Screens. Misdirection. Lots of things can be done to neutralize a defense.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That helps, but in the gun you have a couple of seconds even when no one is blocked. We need a short passing game. Screens. Misdirection. Lots of things can be done to neutralize a defense.

Misdirection requires someone to hold a block for a second or two while the play develops. We tried (and couldn't execute) screens. We had one open for a long play, maybe a TD. Did we drop it or miss the throw - I don't remember. I don't know why we were mostly lining up Gibson under center. Truthfully, that's the go-to formation if you need to run the ball, so maybe we were trying to use play action. Unfortunately, it wasn't working.

The other thing I saw with Gibson was a reluctance to pull the trigger. People were open, but maybe not "open enough" for him to cut it loose. I've seen the same thing with Sims, time and time again. There are guys who have learned to throw on anticipation, and there are guys who can't cut it loose until they see the WR running free. We seem to have the second type of guy. The first type is pretty rare, but our guys may be on the wrong side of the bell curve, even for the ones who need to watch a guy come open before releasing the ball.