#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

kalld12

Banned
to be fair gibson looked so limited and lost im not sure that long could have called anything that would have worked. i think this was more of a personnel issue and not x’s and o’s. i would question the preparation more
I was at the game at watched every snap. He actually made some decent throws our WR’s dropped, and the pass blocking has been anemic, and run blocking even worse yet we continued to try to run up the middle instead of to the boundaries and passes 20 yards down field. Gibson wasn’t great, but if play calling was better and the team helped him out the game was winnable.

JacketFan137

Banned
You must not have been at the game, please show me where one screen was called until the end of the game? There was none, all routes ran 10+ yard down field
no he definitely whiffed on at least one screen and had another short out route batted at the line. i was there as well and he looked awful. team needed to make plays around him but he very clearly wasn’t ready to play

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, I’ve never been a “bench Sims” guy, but I have been a “why aren’t back ups getting reps when we are getting blown out” guy. Really wish a back up would have at least seen the field in some of the earlier games. Clemson was running out their back up qb for game reps and we kept doing the same thing.
I agree. Why we didn’t get more players game experience in the second half against Ole Miss is a mystery to me.

Our offensive coordinator should resign after last night, he did NOTHING to help Gibson out. No quick screens, no quick slants, nothing creative to try to open up the offense. Gibson didn’t do much to help himself but Chip ultimately called the worst game I’ve ever seen. He never adjusted until the last series and then it was too late. I’m just so ready to clean house after season and move on!
Excuse Me Reaction GIF

Long called quick screens. Sometimes we even blocked one of the three defenders on the screen target. You might not want to run a slant when there is a mass of defenders in the box, since we had enough passes deflected last night for my taste, at least. Long tried something, it didn't work, then he tried something else which didn't work, and so forth. We didn't execute anything well.
The play calls weren't the biggest sin last night. Execution was. Blocking was horrible, especially on the outside where we were screening. Long may have had a plan A (that didn't work) and a plan B (that also didn't work), but playcalling yesterday isn't as big of a problem as game prep. We jumped, we lined up incorrectly, we got a ton of penalties in the first half. We shot ourselves in the foot repeatedly.
Tony Elliot used his 10 days of prep a lot better than we did.
We may have been nursing some injuries, but if that's the case then we should have prepped someone else to play. Starting an injured player and losing is losing twice--you lose the game and you bang up your injured guy more.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
After a long and miserable drive back home to the Augusta area last night, I'm going to give my first attempt at breaking down my thoughts on the game. I have refused to look at stats, so I am going from my hazy recollection with any I put out there.

Good first: The D showed up and showed out. Other than one long drive aided by the refs (and I rarely like to blame the refs) our defense held the Cavs to 16 points, even with a couple of short fields for them. The D got off the field a lot on third down. I seem to remember that there were like 7 or 8 straight drives by UVA that were three and outs. Special teams overall were good. I'll not be too harsh on the missed XP. That seems like a fixable mistake. Kickoffs were through the endzone or fair caught deep, which is an even better result. We blocked a punt and a field goal which was great, but punting needs to be fixed. While we didn't have any blocked we had a couple bad snaps and some bad punts. Had it not been for some good rolls, our punting average would have been horrific.

Bad: Punting, as mentioned 8 sacks and no lanes to run against one of the weaker DLs we will face this year. QB play was terrible. Throws were consistently behind or beyond there targets. UVA had 10 in the box against Sims early in the game and we couldn't make them pay. They completely sold out against the run and dared us to throw deep. We didn't oblige them. A couple of OL penalties again and the WR who covered up the TE late in the game negating a good catch.

My impressions are that GT is in need of a QB. It's obvious to me that Sims wasn't himself starting the game, after watching the second half, it's obvious there's a big drop off at the position after Sims. UVA has one of the worst offense in the ACC and they outplayed ours. Their D isn't great but looked like world beaters against us.

Lastly, Key made it really hard to keep this job. He can afford to lose two more games, uga and probably FSU and still be considered as a candidate. He has to have us in a bowl to even be considered. I don't see it happening.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I saw Pyron play a couple games for Pinson his senior year. He is definitely a better player then the other two backups. Has a good arm and decent mobility. I doubt they burn the redshirt, but he has a chance to be a pretty good player for us in the future.
We should play him in the next 4 games if he is even remotely ready. Sims played his first game on the road vs. FSU and won so while obviously not ideal it’s also not un-possible.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After a long and miserable drive back home to the Augusta area last night, I'm going to give my first attempt at breaking down my thoughts on the game. I have refused to look at stats, so I am going from my hazy recollection with any I put out there.

Good first: The D showed up and showed out. Other than one long drive aided by the refs (and I rarely like to blame the refs) our defense held the Cavs to 16 points, even with a couple of short fields for them. The D got off the field a lot on third down. I seem to remember that there were like 7 or 8 straight drives by UVA that were three and outs. Special teams overall were good. I'll not be too harsh on the missed XP. That seems like a fixable mistake. Kickoffs were through the endzone or fair caught deep, which is an even better result. We blocked a punt and a field goal which was great, but punting needs to be fixed. While we didn't have any blocked we had a couple bad snaps and some bad punts. Had it not been for some good rolls, our punting average would have been horrific.

Bad: Punting, as mentioned 8 sacks and no lanes to run against one of the weaker DLs we will face this year. QB play was terrible. Throws were consistently behind or beyond there targets. UVA had 10 in the box against Sims early in the game and we couldn't make them pay. They completely sold out against the run and dared us to throw deep. We didn't oblige them. A couple of OL penalties again and the WR who covered up the TE late in the game negating a good catch.

My impressions are that GT is in need of a QB. It's obvious to me that Sims wasn't himself starting the game, after watching the second half, it's obvious there's a big drop off at the position after Sims. UVA has one of the worst offense in the ACC and they outplayed ours. Their D isn't great but looked like world beaters against us.

Lastly, Key made it really hard to keep this job. He can afford to lose two more games, uga and probably FSU and still be considered as a candidate. He has to have us in a bowl to even be considered. I don't see it happening.
I still think we made a bowl this year, unless Sims can't play.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Last year, we had a gutsy kid in as backup. He didn't have the right "measurables" but he played his heart out when he got in. There was a huge amount of griping from some people here about whether he deserved a roster spot. He transferred out. Now, it doesn't look like we have a ready backup at all.
Too many are too worried about what our players "look like" instead of how they perform, how much heart they have, etc.

We used to have a gritty team that was brutal to play. We hit people and hit them hard.

When will we get that back as part of our football culture? Fancy pants, kids with measurables, media darlings that "look like" NFL players have either been a bust or for some reason this coaching staff has not been able to get the performance out of them.

Enough with this NFL BS, get me some kids that will suit up and come ready to play & get their uniforms dirty.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Too many are too worried about what our players "look like" instead of how they perform, how much heart they have, etc.

We used to have a gritty team that was brutal to play. We hit people and hit them hard.

When will we get that back as part of our football culture? Fancy pants, kids with measurables, media darlings that "look like" NFL players have either been a bust or for some reason this coaching staff has not been able to get the performance out of them.

Enough with this NFL BS, get me some kids that will suit up and come ready to play & get their uniforms dirty.

Thank Jeffrey for all that.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
After sleeping on it. I have a few thoughts.

1. I hope Sims heals quickly. He showed passion on the sideline after the injury and I hate to see a kid forcibly sidelined by injury.

2. The energy level in the stadium was lower last night than at any point since Ole Miss. Even when heckling refs, the crowd didn't feel into it.

3. Long is not the answer for this team as constituted. His play calling and personnel management are baffling. The OL is good enough to make a quick passing/power run game work, yet we call deep passes and slow developing run plays where players dance in the hole for 2 yds. Also, if blocking is bad, put in two rbs to chip, or go jumbo and stop playing with 4 and 5 wide.

4. Does anyone know what the student section added to the "fight, win, drink, get naked" chant?
They’ve been adding “Drink more! Get more naked!” For at least 6 years now as I yelled it plenty as a student