#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Just going to share what I know and have been told.
Sims situation: Sims played hurt, was thought to be able to play through it but would have some limitations such as running the ball. Sims tried to come back into the game on his own, trainer walked up to him and told him he was done for the night, sims slammed his helmet when he was told he was done. Sims tried coming back in again after that but the staff took his helmet and pads away.
Gibson: He can’t run this offense, he’s a passing QB that’s a negative runner which in result gives you what you saw tonight. He can not run the spread option at all. Gibson was another bad evaluation by Collins, you could clearly see he wasn’t a spread offense QB.
Taisun Phommachanh: He sucks. He was once again another bad evaluation by Collins. I’ve seen him in practice (pre Collins firing) and he’s just straight up bad. He was the 2nd horrible evaluation at QB by Collins in 1 recruiting class which you can’t afford at all. I do know he had a pretty serious injury while at Clemson and hasn’t played for a while.
Zach Pyron: Staff wants to maintain his redshirt and knows he can’t be thrown into the fire with our OL situation. He is now QB3.
QB depth chart from what I’ve been told:
Sims
Gibson
Pyron
Phommachanh
There’s so many things I could say about the QB room and how it’s gone down over the years.
I saw Pyron play a couple games for Pinson his senior year. He is definitely a better player then the other two backups. Has a good arm and decent mobility. I doubt they burn the redshirt, but he has a chance to be a pretty good player for us in the future.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I saw Pyron play a couple games for Pinson his senior year. He is definitely a better player then the other two backups. Has a good arm and decent mobility. I doubt they burn the redshirt, but he has a chance to be a pretty good player for us in the future.

Yea, my hope there is that Baylor tends to know pretty good passers.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO the defense was about a C last night.
Yes, UVA did not score alot, but this is a bad UVA offensive team and it had over 400 yds of offense and frankly shot themselves in the foot alot.
They dropped an easy TD pass, they missed a chip shot FG as well as a second longer FG and an XP. They had a slew of penalties and quite a few drops and 3 TO's.
The defense got very little pressure on Armstrong - he simply was inconsistent, missing some easy throws and also having the WR's drop catchable passes.
A good offensive opponent would have put up 30 easy last night.

Our O was bad with Sims (24 plays, 81 yds, 5 1st downs, 0 points) and got worse after he left.
We had the one good drive with Gibson in the 2nd quarter (9 plays, 70 yds, FG). The second half was tough as GT had awful field position for alot of that half and frankly without a threat of the QB run our rushing attack is pretty poor. We avg 1.5 yds per rush and even if you take out the sack yardage it was only about 3 yards per rush.
Gibson played well on the FG drive and had that great 11 yd run where he leaned into the defender. But he clearly got shell shocked as the game went on. Clearly an F.

Special teams was about a C as well.
We had the one punt partially blocked, but it actually rolled for 42 yds - got lucky there. We had the blocked punt we caused. Made our only FG, missed an XP. UVA had a couple of nice returns, including a 22 yd punt return and another for 10.

Our offense is really bad. We now have 6 TD's in 6 games against FBS opponents. We have 3 TD's in the red zone against FBS opponents (13 yd pass to Jenkins against Clemson, 18 yd run by Sims against Pitt, 18 yd pass to McCollum against Duke). Sims is currently 101st in QBR among FBS QB's and 13th out of 14 ACC QBs (ahead of only BC's QB). Our RB room isn't even close to what it was last year (and we don't really play to their strengths much - why do we run Hall between the tackles?), the WR's are mediocre at best and the OL is one of the worst i've seen at GT. GT is averaging 13 ppg against FBS opponents (12.5 if you exclude the OT FG, and of course 6 pts came in the INT TD as well). If we hadn't made the switch to Stewart attempting FG's (8-8) we might be avg less than 10 ppg against FBS teams.

slugboy

Staff member
gibson isn’t going to be more mobile just because he’s on the field more. he has no speed, no wiggle and no size to run people over. in college the qb has to be able to run

all posters that wanted him to play raved about his accuracy at akron and he missed plenty of the same gimme passes sims misses regularly

also the kid is a quitter and admitted it in the post game presser. he’s just not the guy
Here’s what he said:

He screwed up. This is why you have coaches--to coach a player, to teach him to have game awareness.

Some of the posters here want to burn the player, but it looks obvious that the coaches don't have a plan B for when Sims goes down, and Gibson was the guy who had to go out and make the best of it.

We put a player on the field when he wasn't ready for it. He's taking a lot of heat for it, but it's the coaching staff's job to have the players ready, and to have the backup ready.

It's the player's responsibility to be ready too, but it looks like he wasn't getting many reps in practice. He started the game with almost no timing between him and his receivers, and his timing got better as the game went along.

I also understand why a backup wouldn't get many reps. When Payton Manning played for the Colts, the reporter asked the OC why the backup never got any snaps in practice. The OC answered "If Payton goes down, we're losing the game". We may be in the same position. (I'd love to have Manning's passer efficiency here, though)

Earlier in the year and over the summer, there were a lot of people here saying that he'd push Sims for starting time. A former player said he'd just be holding a clipboard and calling in plays--and that looks like what he was readier to do.

Now, we also want to put in the transfer from Clemson (Taisun Phommachanh). If Gibson wasn't ready, how ready do you think the players that the coaches DIDN'T put in are?

Last year, we had a gutsy kid in as backup. He didn't have the right "measurables" but he played his heart out when he got in. There was a huge amount of griping from some people here about whether he deserved a roster spot. He transferred out. Now, it doesn't look like we have a ready backup at all.

Now we gotta figure out what to do.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Aren't they allowed to play four games without burning their redshirt? Also who cares about redshirting these days? Why are we worried about five years from now? He may not even be here then. I am sorry, but if he is the second best option, then play him. Again, another coaching fail for this staff.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My eyes are bleeding from watching that game. This sealed the deal for This staff and made batts decision very easy. The rest of the season is going to be seeing who stays on the team or not.

Defense played their heart out and I give them all the respect in the world. I wish we had this defensive effort when Paul was here, we would have won a lot of games.

Sims is an ok QB at best, but with that said, what’s behind him is…searching for a word to describe it…well you know why he is still starting. My question is if Pyron can’t beat out Gibson…then what does that say?

Will be an entirely different team/look next year with a new coach with new schemes and with players transferring in and out. I don’t expect to be good next year with all new changes, but hopefully 2024 is our year!
If the new coach keeps Coach Key in some capacity, we may not see alot of transfers.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Here’s what he said:

He screwed up. This is why you have coaches--to coach a player, to teach him to have game awareness.

Some of the posters here want to burn the player, but it looks obvious that the coaches don't have a plan B for when Sims goes down, and Gibson was the guy who had to go out and make the best of it.

We put a player on the field when he wasn't ready for it. He's taking a lot of heat for it, but it's the coaching staff's job to have the players ready, and to have the backup ready.

It's the player's responsibility to be ready too, but it looks like he wasn't getting many reps in practice. He started the game with almost no timing between him and his receivers, and his timing got better as the game went along.

I also understand why a backup wouldn't get many reps. When Payton Manning played for the Colts, the reporter asked the OC why the backup never got any snaps in practice. The OC answered "If Payton goes down, we're losing the game". We may be in the same position. (I'd love to have Manning's passer efficiency here, though)

Earlier in the year and over the summer, there were a lot of people here saying that he'd push Sims for starting time. A former player said he'd just be holding a clipboard and calling in plays--and that looks like what he was readier to do.

Now, we also want to put in the transfer from Clemson (Taisun Phommachanh). If Gibson wasn't ready, how ready do you think the players that the coaches DIDN'T put in are?

Last year, we had a gutsy kid in as backup. He didn't have the right "measurables" but he played his heart out when he got in. There was a huge amount of griping from some people here about whether he deserved a roster spot. He transferred out. Now, it doesn't look like we have a ready backup at all.

I've got four years of eligibility left and played JV QB back in 1979. Maybe I should enroll and give it a shot! ;) j/k

I don't blame the young man for not being ready near as much as I can't stomach giving up when there's an ounce of breath left in you.

slugboy

Staff member
I've got four years of eligibility left and played JV QB back in 1979. Maybe I should enroll and give it a shot! ;) j/k

I don't blame the young man for not being ready near as much as I can't stomach giving up when there's an ounce of breath left in you.
You do miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and the end of the game is the time to take any shot you've got.

I think we tell the players "how you do anything is how you do everything". In that regard, against Pitt, when we punted at the Pitt 40 was almost as bad; it might be worse, because it was the head coach making a bad decision, and that's teaching everyone how to make a bad decision. Every down is a rehearsal for making the right decisions, giving yourself a chance to win. The way the game ended was the cherry on top, we had so many screw ups throughout the game.

I also wonder what we practiced over the last 10 days before last night. That was a discombobulated performance on offense last night, starting on the first series where we turned a 3rd and 1 to a 3rd and 6. Attention to detail and doing the right thing were missing last night.

JacketFan137

Banned
Here’s what he said:

yeah i don’t think yates was good enough either but he was certainly better prepared than gibson looked. guts only takes you so far but i think he at least could at least have a shred of pocket presence and maybe would have gotten a few decent runs

i agree about taisun as well. if he hasn’t shown enough to at least get a shot in the game last night i’m not sure he ever will

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The game last night was unexciting and the players did not look to me to be prepared or engaged
I thought the same thing. But why? How can you be riding a two game win streak, playing on national TV at night and not be up for the game? Baffles me

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’ve never been a “bench Sims” guy, but I have been a “why aren’t back ups getting reps when we are getting blown out” guy. Really wish a back up would have at least seen the field in some of the earlier games. Clemson was running out their back up qb for game reps and we kept doing the same thing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If this is true and Sims can’t play then this dude has four games to play without burning his redshirt and we should use them.

kalld12

Banned
Our offensive coordinator should resign after last night, he did NOTHING to help Gibson out. No quick screens, no quick slants, nothing creative to try to open up the offense. Gibson didn’t do much to help himself but Chip ultimately called the worst game I’ve ever seen. He never adjusted until the last series and then it was too late. I’m just so ready to clean house after season and move on!

JacketFan137

Banned
Our offensive coordinator should resign after last night, he did NOTHING to help Gibson out. No quick screens, no quick slants, nothing creative to try to open up the offense. Gibson didn’t do much to help himself but Chip ultimately called the worst game I’ve ever seen. He never adjusted until the last series and then it was too late. I’m just so ready to clean house after season and move on!
to be fair gibson looked so limited and lost im not sure that long could have called anything that would have worked. i think this was more of a personnel issue and not x’s and o’s. i would question the preparation more

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
The dude was missing screens and holding onto the ball.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I actually was thinking at one point in the game...."Could Long be throwing this game for some reason?" I'm sure it isn't true, but the fact that it crossed my mind speaks volumes about my thoughts on how well the game was called.