#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just going to share what I know and have been told.
Sims situation: Sims played hurt, was thought to be able to play through it but would have some limitations such as running the ball. Sims tried to come back into the game on his own, trainer walked up to him and told him he was done for the night, sims slammed his helmet when he was told he was done. Sims tried coming back in again after that but the staff took his helmet and pads away.
Gibson: He can’t run this offense, he’s a passing QB that’s a negative runner which in result gives you what you saw tonight. He can not run the spread option at all. Gibson was another bad evaluation by Collins, you could clearly see he wasn’t a spread offense QB.
Taisun Phommachanh: He sucks. He was once again another bad evaluation by Collins. I’ve seen him in practice (pre Collins firing) and he’s just straight up bad. He was the 2nd horrible evaluation at QB by Collins in 1 recruiting class which you can’t afford at all. I do know he had a pretty serious injury while at Clemson and hasn’t played for a while.
Zach Pyron: Staff wants to maintain his redshirt and knows he can’t be thrown into the fire with our OL situation. He is now QB3.
QB depth chart from what I’ve been told:
Sims
Gibson
Pyron
Phommachanh
There’s so many things I could say about the QB room and how it’s gone down over the years.
can't a freshman play a few games without losing his redshirt? we have to try somebody else than gibson

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Horrible all around. 2 weeks off and we revert back to the Collins way if playing. We know now why Sims is our starter.
I still think Key will be fine though

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
i will say it is a bit unfair to compare the team from duke and pitt vs tonight. gibson is frankly the worst qb we’ve seen at tech in decades and was a massive drop down from sims. any other position and it’s not THAT big of a talking point but a qb injury is a different ball of wax

we aren’t as good as some may have thought. i think a large portion of key’s hype was basically built on “at least he isn’t collins”. if sims is hurt long term and key can pull together something the rest of the season i’ll be ok with him but that seems like a tall task
It was more than just Sims going out though. We missed an XP, had a punt blocked, gave up big plays on D. It looked a lot more like the team from the first few games than the one from the last two.

JacketFan137

Banned
It was more than just Sims going out though. We missed an XP, had a punt blocked, gave up big plays on D. It looked a lot more like the team from the first few games than the one from the last two.
hard for me to hold any negativity to anyone outside of the offense and mainly gibson. we didn’t score a touchdown at home and had about 20 yards of offense in the second half.

we allowed 16 points on defense while being on the field pinned deep for a large portion of the game. while the tackling on that play was poor allowing 16 total points in a college game is an unbelievable feat. extra point miss was completely irrelevant.

we look like a better team in every aspect than we did previously, but our qb was the worst we’ve ever had. that is still on the coaching staff for having a guy so unprepared, but it is like 90% on sims going down

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Where I'm upset with the staff is that mistakes and looking so unprepared after 2 weeks off, special teams had issues again, but hats off to thackers D. With Collins out, thacker does seem more in control of the D.
Penalities sucked some of that was on the D and some on the crappy refs
On offense, Sims going out was really the story of the Game. He was clearly injured to start which was why the run game seemed off.
Our backup qbs clearly aren't good or at least ready yet. We need to recruit better badly here

I said after Keys first game. 1 game shouldn't make or break his career at tech, you have to evaluate everything at the end of the season.
He's really limited on what he can change mid season, other than how the team practices is preps.
I do think the team responds better to him than Collins , but last night was not a good look

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The product on the field now is infinitely better than it was a month ago. The only maddening thing tonight was the QB play. A month ago, we were incompetent at almost everything. Punt blocks. Missed kicks. Bizarre decisions from the sidelines. Heck, we got our butts kicked in our own press conferences because the Coach couldn't provide a cogent answer to any question beyond "What's your name?"
All of these things happened again last night. So I'm not seeing the progress...we regressed and absolutely $hit the bed again on national TV in a home game.

Whatever gains we saw from the last two games just got erased. Another blocked punt, OLine was a joke, terrible penalties...For any blame directed at players, we have to remember that we have adults that are being paid a lot of money to prepare the team to play. And that clearly didn't happen.

I want to like Coach Key. He seems like a nice guy. I thought I saw some improvement in the team, but now I'm left wholly disappointed. I don't see anyway that you keep much of the staff. I suppose we could see something drastically change and salvage the season, but I feel deflated.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
At the start of the season, I was like most thought Long was the one who would save us, and thought Thacker was a joke. But now I see it the other way. I really think CGC hurt us in more ways than we thought, would not let the coaches coach like they wanted and was a poor recruiter and could not evaluate players to sign.
I was also high on Key to be the next head coach, but unlike most of you I still have not given up on him. It's not his fault we don't have a backup. And, yes, our OL is bad, but they are all very young. If we can finish and get to a bowl game, I would still look at Key. Problem now is the QB an ankle is a bad injury to get will be a problem the rest of the season. And now we know we have no backup QB.
I'm sure if we hire another Head Coach most will be happy, but I really didn't want to go and start a rebuilding all over again. I just feel like we are in a bad position and any good coach will look and this is not the job they want so we will have to settle for someone.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
For those of you saying this is the worst game you’ve ever seen Tech play, I guess you just started watching a couple of weeks ago?
I’ve seen much, much worse just this year and I can’t even count the worse games over the last 35 years with every coach we’ve had in that timeframe.
I’m disappointed, but wow let’s not go crazy with the hyperbole.

JacketFan137

Banned
For those of you saying this is the worst game you’ve ever seen Tech play, I guess you just started watching a couple of weeks ago?
I’ve seen much, much worse just this year and I can’t even count the worse games over the last 35 years with every coach we’ve had in that timeframe.
I’m disappointed, but wow let’s not go crazy with the hyperbole.
with gibson was the absolute worst we have ever seen the offense at least in my life time as a tech fan. i can excuse poor performances against top 10 teams like clemson, uga etc. but that was an awful uva team that has been run over by anyone with a pulse and we were completely ineffective

we’ve lost by bigger margins and in more heartbreaking ways but that was the most helpless i’ve ever seen us look on offense

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure if we hire another Head Coach most will be happy, but I really didn't want to go and start a rebuilding all over again. I just feel like we are in a bad position and any good coach will look and this is not the job they want so we will have to settle for someone.
This. I'm so depressed thinking we get to have another rebuild period of three to four years of meh.

The fact that we don't have a backup QB worth spit is sad. The fact that we tried to use said QB to pass our way to success is downright mind-boggling.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me get this straight- UVA threw a pick 6, turned the ball over 3 times, missed an extra point and 2 short field goals, dropped an easy TD pass in the end zone, had a punt blocked scored only 3 points in 2nd half (16 for the game) and still beat my Jackets? How can anyone on this board want to see this coaching staff here next year. Easily the worst played game on both sides I have ever witnessed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, this game was perhaps inevitable. For three years posters on here have argued that our backup QBs needed game experience and should not have to be thrown into a game without having felt real game-speed conditions. Instead we’ve spent three years going with one QB letting them work out all their mistakes and work for entire seasons on coordinating with the OL, getting timing down with receivers, and getting in sync with running backs. I’m not saying this was the wrong decision, just saying a choice was made that absolutely depended on the number one guy not getting hurt.

As for Tech’s overall play, we are better. We just aren’t a very good team. But we knew that. We would have had to have played a perfect game to win last night. As it was, Virginia played a poor enough game to keep us hanging around.

Bad football all the way around.

Glad the AD was present to see this. We have hope for the future.

JacketFan137

Banned
At the start of the season, I was like most thought Long was the one who would save us, and thought Thacker was a joke. But now I see it the other way. I really think CGC hurt us in more ways than we thought, would not let the coaches coach like they wanted and was a poor recruiter and could not evaluate players to sign.
I was also high on Key to be the next head coach, but unlike most of you I still have not given up on him. It's not his fault we don't have a backup. And, yes, our OL is bad, but they are all very young. If we can finish and get to a bowl game, I would still look at Key. Problem now is the QB an ankle is a bad injury to get will be a problem the rest of the season. And now we know we have no backup QB.
the path to being competitive is nowhere near as far as it was under collins. we aren’t where we should be but we have the athletes to at least make a bowl game with the right coaching

key frankly did the bare minimum and that is enough to win some hearts and minds. i wish he was the guy but i just don’t see it and holding onto him better include paying some very very highly touted coordinators cause i don’t see what he brings to the table alone as an HC to warrant keeping him. as the AD i would be looking elsewhere and fast

slugboy

Staff member
As a fan for many, many years, I wouldn’t have minded if my kid had a concert last night that I needed to go to.

Was it the worst game on the flats in memory? No. It was a game between the #81 and #83 team in FBS. We were worse last year. It could be the worst game of the week, though.

Where was the offense? I thought that the matchup between our offense and their defense could be a bad one. I didn’t think it would be THAT bad. We’re OK running the ball and bad throwing it. UVA is pretty good against the run, but is vulnerable to a running QB. They sold out against the run, blitzed hard, and dared us to pass. We couldn’t. We had two good drives in the first half, and ended one of them with an interception in the red zone.
The offense scored 3 points in the entire game. It was horrible in the red zone, but it also couldn’t get there very often.
I looked at the stat preview of the game on SI.com, and I thought it was the dumbest thing ever—they compared our offense to UVA’s, and our offense is never on the field against UVA’s. This morning, I think that the game WAS a battle of whose offense was slightly less ineffective. Armstrong running all over us was the difference in my mind.
3E425BE7-8587-4418-8F82-B9FEFD0A7AC9.jpeg

Our passing game in the first half, and our passing game in the second half were basically the same passing game—horrible. Sims played almost all of the first half, and Gibson almost all of the second. Gibson was unable to run, though.
Georgia Tech Passing
C/ATTYDSTDINTQBR
Z. Gibson10/2599007.6
J. Sims6/1147018.4
TEAM16/3614601--

How was the defense? On one hand, we got turnovers, and in the first quarter we kept giving our offense great opportunities and pulling the offense’s fat out of the fire.
EFA35E44-CE4B-48CD-BCD0-60BF4D96E346.jpeg

PFF is gonna have a field day marking up this game. We tackled badly, took bad angles, and while Armstrong didn’t look like Barry Sanders, he ran for many more yards than a guy like that should see in an entire season. UVA’s first touchdown was mainly one play where we looked like we were losing at flag football.

We got 0 sacks. UVA got 8 sacks. Our blitzes were ineffective. It looked like we were running right into blocks.

I watched our DL make athletic plays, but most of the game they were tied up with the linemen in front of them.

On the other hand, we got two fumbles and two interceptions from UVA, and scored a pick 6. The defense did enough to keep us in the game, if not to win it.

JacketFan137

Banned
Well, this game was perhaps inevitable. For three years posters on here have argued that our backup QBs needed game experience and should not have to be thrown into a game without having felt real game-speed conditions. Instead we’ve spent three years going with one QB letting them work out all their mistakes and work for entire seasons on coordinating with the OL, getting timing down with receivers, and getting in sync with running backs. I’m not saying this was the wrong decision, just saying a choice was made that absolutely depended on the number one guy not getting hurt.
im not sure that would have made one iota of a difference other than showing us that gibson didn’t have anything a few weeks earlier. his issues are not things game time would improve