Post Spring Update - QB Battle

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Post Spring Update - QB Battle

Vad Lee - I was throughly impressed with the leaps and bounds that Vad has improved to be where he is at now. This Spring was the first time I saw Vad and thought he looked comfortable in our offense. He is starting to improve a lot in the option game and actually reading the triple option pretty well...I saw a few missed reads in the Spring game on the midline but overall much improved. He threw a beautifil ball to Darren Waller that would have been a TD if it was not dropped. Vad still has things to work on but overall I am happy with the progress he is making.

Justin Thomas - I love the accerlation and quickness he brings to the table...he is also very cool, calm and collected to only be a redshirt Freshman. He does not want the job handed to him as he wants to earn it...have to respect that. When things blow up Thomas does a great job of making a negative play into a positive one. He is slippery and hard to tackle. Has a good arm and what impressed me the most was his fundamentals as a QB...He is not just an ATH playing QB, He is a QB. 

Final Thoughts - I am very happy at where we are with this position. We have two guys fighting for the job that both can be elite. They both bring some great things to the table. Vad entered the Spring with the starting job and I think he still has done nothing to lose that title. He had a overall good spring. A final starter will not be named until right near the season starting. 

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice write-up. fwiw, I agree. Waller needs to learn that hammy hop Hill used after a bad drop like that one in the endzone.

Vad definitely shows the comfort level of someone who's played. His footwork also looks much better than during the season last year, much smoother. The triple-option series that he took down the field until he went play action for the TD was probably the best I've seen him run that bread and butter play.

The Spring Game was the first time Justin's put on the white and gold in a real game environment. He had some center exchange issues and a bad pitch that might be related. However, for the most part I thought he played really well. His passes have a real zip. He looks a little more comfortable running the triple option than Vad did last year, imo. However, he occasionally broke up field with the ball like a loaf of bread in one hand.

I expect that both guys will play real minutes this year, but Vad's leading comfortably right now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't sleep on Byerly. That kid can play some football as well. Great insurance policy against multiple injury. Anybody remember Calvin Booker trying to run our offense???

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
AE 87 said:
Nice write-up. fwiw, I agree. Waller needs to learn that hammy hop Hill used after a bad drop like that one in the endzone.

Vad definitely shows the comfort level of someone who's played. His footwork also looks much better than during the season last year, much smoother. The triple-option series that he took down the field until he went play action for the TD was probably the best I've seen him run that bread and butter play.

The Spring Game was the first time Justin's put on the white and gold in a real game environment. He had some center exchange issues and a bad pitch that might be related. However, for the most part I thought he played really well. His passes have a real zip. He looks a little more comfortable running the triple option than Vad did last year, imo. However, he occasionally broke up field with the ball like a loaf of bread in one hand.

I expect that both guys will play real minutes this year, but Vad's leading comfortably right now.

I remember the "loaf of bread" run and remember seeing that a lot on his hs tape. Kids have a hard time breaking bad habits when they're under duress. Same goes for Vad throwing off his back foot.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Byerly won't be the starting QB. It's Vad or Thomas. Byerly is a great third stringer.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Byerly looked consistent when he was in the game. Agreed definitely not a starter, as he lacks the game breaker ability of his two counterparts. A lesser version of tevin IMO. Solid backup though, he could win in this offense against some of our weaker opponents if we had to use him. He looked a lot less likely to make a bad play outta tryin to make a great one. That's one thing our two legit starters are goin to have to work on, still have a lot of time to do so though.