Post Spring Practice Depth Chart

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think (and hope) we are gonna surprise some people on D this year.

Yeah, but what do you think about our quarterbacks tho .... :cool:

Seriously though, what makes you think we'll surprise some folks on D? Not saying I disagree. I just haven't paid much attention yet.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, but what do you think about our quarterbacks tho .... :cool:

Seriously though, what makes you think we'll surprise some folks on D? Not saying I disagree. I just haven't paid much attention yet.

HAHAHA ....well played..

Honestly....

I think we have a lot of talent and depth at QB and the best one will win the #1 regardless of who that maybe. That's a good problem to have.
I also stand behind whatever decision is made for QB 100%.

We have some experience returning on D and I think it's gonna "click" this year..

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My hope is that we start out this year the way we ended last year on defense. Although history doesn't make me optimistic. Our secondary should be better if only from experience and our pass rush can only get better. Elsewhere those returning hopefully show improvement as well. Mills piling up yardage will hopefully help. We will see but I am somewhat optimistic.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How do I feel about our defense? Well, I think Branch will be quicker than anybody we have had on the interior in a while. Adams will hold point better than anybody recently too, even if he can't pursue or rush the passer. Simmons will probably be better and Freeman will probably be about the same. LB is a big question. Will we be faster? I hope so. Will we remember assignments and take advantage of some physical gifts with the newcomers? I dunno. We'll find out. Secondary will be good.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
We really need some athleticism at linebacker. Mitchell and Lewis looked ok during the spring game but I'm disappointed we don't have a rangy headhunter at lb. tech used to consistently produce NFL linebackers.

Swilling has a real chance to get some minutes next year, I hope he's ready to come in and contribute.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
We really need some athleticism at linebacker. Mitchell and Lewis looked ok during the spring game but I'm disappointed we don't have a rangy headhunter at lb. tech used to consistently produce NFL linebackers.

Swilling has a real chance to get some minutes next year, I hope he's ready to come in and contribute.
I thought Mitchell looked a lot better in the spring game. The rest I worry about.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

yeah, we did have a headhunter--his name is Davis but he gone

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Always amazing to me how a coach should make small, slow defenders better than they are. Actually, I think our coaches do that. It is recruiting where we are getting killed, and if you want to hold the coaches responsible for that, then o.k., but to think the coaches can make a D with very little big fast LB's or DT's, that is kind of impossible.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is the year I get to eat crow when it comes to our D coaching staff. I am no fan of what I have seen for the past few years and I would love for CTR to shut me up.
I thought you guys looked good enough on D down the stretch last year. You weren't world beaters, but you also weren't awful. If you can play a whole season likke you played after the UNC game, you'lll have a great record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised no one has really discussed how we lined up during the spring. Looked kinda like a 4-4 at times, with the OLBs acting as DBs at times depending on which way the ball flowed. I said it before, Brant Mitchell will play well if he's bracketed by other defenders and doesn't have to cover too much space. He definitely played faster and closed a LOT quicker. Of course, playing our offense is different than playing other offenses, so it will be interesting to see how we look playing against UT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised no one has really discussed how we lined up during the spring. Looked kinda like a 4-4 at times, with the OLBs acting as DBs at times depending on which way the ball flowed. I said it before, Brant Mitchell will play well if he's bracketed by other defenders and doesn't have to cover too much space. He definitely played faster and closed a LOT quicker. Of course, playing our offense is different than playing other offenses, so it will be interesting to see how we look playing against UT.

We schemed against our O. We often play TDay in a base D.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
We schemed against our O. We often play TDay in a base D.
We played mostly base 4-2-5. Blitzed one LBer a time or two. I wouldn't call that scheming. Our DL played better. Mitchell looked better. Alexander hustled and was in the right place most of the time so we looked better. I don't make too much of a spring game though. We'll see when the bullets start flying for real.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I thought you guys looked good enough on D down the stretch last year. You weren't world beaters, but you also weren't awful. If you can play a whole season likke you played after the UNC game, you'lll have a great record.

That is what has me hopeful. I did see a couple games last year that the defense really seemed to click. I am hoping our coaching staff can build on that. It is just painful to watch our defense at times.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Always amazing to me how a coach should make small, slow defenders better than they are. Actually, I think our coaches do that. It is recruiting where we are getting killed, and if you want to hold the coaches responsible for that, then o.k., but to think the coaches can make a D with very little big fast LB's or DT's, that is kind of impossible.
It is much harder to scheme away lesser talent on D. You either have the horses or you don't.