Post-season/Pre-season Team Workouts

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Said this guy was Saban's secret weapon and said, "This guy builds beasts!"
I'm not sure that's the criteria. The Stanford program isn't based on trying to "build beasts". It's based on a series of programs tailored to particular positions and the first aim is not to build strength, but flexibility, again in ways specific to particular positions.

Well, I'm sure our S&C staff have studied what they are doing out there and acting accordingly. Hope so, anyway.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Probably not.
Alabama's program is widely heralded and for good reason look at them. They look carved from granite.

It amazes me how GT has all these technical advantages on campus but puts them to little use in the form of the athletic program. I read how I believe Bama was using drones and how GT wasn't. Why? because GT couldn't afford them. Well isn't GT an engineering institution, don't they have drone and robotics at their disposal. Hell a freshman can build a drone. The S&C at Stanford uses advance bio medical software engineered specifically for each player position, GT can't do that with Wallace H Coulter a block away on campus. GT players should look like they from Krypton.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sorry for being behind...what do these numbers represent?
Based on the info I found, The Prowler is a conditioning sled designed to develop strength in your legs, hips, and arms. I'm guessing the numbers represent the distance the sled is pushed. I found the following link www.prowleruk.com that has more specific info on the device. It's made out of cast iron and can be used with or without weights.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yoga is really really good for flexibility, balance, and endurance. The meditation aspects are great as well. I hope every athlete is currently incorporating it into their fitness, it should be manditory.
Not sure of the injury prevention benefits but it's sure been linked to do so.
http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/yoga-poses-to-prevent-the-top-sports-injuries

I thought this along with continual stretches would be a no brainer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Probably not.
Alabama's program is widely heralded and for good reason look at them. They look carved from granite.

It amazes me how GT has all these technical advantages on campus but puts them to little use in the form of the athletic program. I read how I believe Bama was using drones and how GT wasn't. Why? because GT couldn't afford them. Well isn't GT an engineering institution, don't they have drone and robotics at their disposal. Hell a freshman can build a drone. The S&C at Stanford uses advance bio medical software engineered specifically for each player position, GT can't do that with Wallace H Coulter a block away on campus. GT players should look like they from Krypton.

This drives me absolutely crazy. Folks've said before and I'll say it again, we're the dumbest smart school in the country.

Michigan State may have the best S&C coach in football. Pretty good results the past 4 years. I believe Saban brought him in when he was at msu.

Funny you mention that. I recall a few years ago I was looking at our DL size and was thinking we weren't very good mainly because we were relatively small. I looked at some of the top defenses in the country and noticed there were several on the list who were very comparable to us size-wise. MichSt was one. I could never put a finger on why they got so much better results (defensively) than we did. Perhaps the answer lies in the S&C dept. This was before we hired our new guy so hopefully he'll start paying dividends.

gtwin

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone that underestimates the value of a quality S&C program is clueless!

As for Cochran, he might be annoying, but the guy knows his stuff and is definitely not overrated!

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
This drives me absolutely crazy. Folks've said before and I'll say it again, we're the dumbest smart school in the country.

Funny you mention that. I recall a few years ago I was looking at our DL size and was thinking we weren't very good mainly because we were relatively small. I looked at some of the top defenses in the country and noticed there were several on the list who were very comparable to us size-wise. MichSt was one. I could never put a finger on why they got so much better results (defensively) than we did. Perhaps the answer lies in the S&C dept. This was before we hired our new guy so hopefully he'll start paying dividends.
He makes D'antonio look great. They don't get many 4 or 5 star recruits either.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's an idea. lets swap S&C coaches with bama and see where that gets us. Next, we keep our S&C coach, but get Bama 4 and 5 star recruits. I wonder which will produce the best results. Hmmmmm.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm missing something, our S&C coaches suck now?

I think the guy we had prior to Fisk did. That's who I was referring to in my post (it was kinda unclear).

Here's an idea. lets swap S&C coaches with bama and see where that gets us. Next, we keep our S&C coach, but get Bama 4 and 5 star recruits. I wonder which will produce the best results. Hmmmmm.

I think it's 2 different discussions. Clearly they get more raw talent than we do and that's why they're better than us. However, having an effective S&C program should not be underestimated as an additional factor. No, not THE factor but a factor nonetheless.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'm missing something, our S&C coaches suck now?

I don't think anyone has said they suck, but has anyone ever said they were really good? Have you seen many of our players get significantly stronger, bigger, faster (Gotsis is the only one I can think of)? It's gotta be because they're spending too much time learning Calculus, while other athletes are hitting the gym 24/7!!

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't think anyone has said they suck, but has anyone ever said they were really good? Have you seen many of our players get significantly stronger, bigger, faster (Gotsis is the only one I can think of)? It's gotta be because they're spending too much time learning Calculus, while other athletes are hitting the gym 24/7!!
I think you are onto something. I have not heard any negatives about our S&C coach.