Post Practice 4/14

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Dead on ferensic buzz... that's why the games are played... remember App. St. vs. Michigan and -as already noted - MTSU vs GT?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Freeman was my pick as #1 def recruit last yr- he dominated some in a tough league
I can't see how Bostic or Zenon come back- limited PT if Hill returns
btw -Eric,
do you know what format is planned for Spg game?Do we split team?
I believe uM actually ran a 7-7 game! no linemen

Yep, same as always.

We will split teams and have 1's vs 1's.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Will be very surprised if we drop the Southern game. Won't be surprised if they hang around for two or three quarters though. Really hope I don't have to eat crow over this one.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Did G S beat a team with lots of 4-5 star recruits. Fla Gators.

florida was down to its third-string walk on QB - and I think Tech fans can remember just how bad an offense can look when you go that far down the depth chart to go up against a FCS team, be it a good one like Southern or a run of the mill one like Gardner Webb. And Florida still had a chance to win that game, and would have if not for Matt Dobson's pass break up in the end zone on the next to last play (a very, very overlooked play. As great as McKinnon's last TD was, if Dobson doesn't come from nowhere to knock away that pass, it's over).

Florida was in the midst of a long losing streak because injuries had just decimated them. Now, Southern had its share of injuries going into that game, too. And Southern's kicking game is still a mess. They lost a lot on defense and they weren't real good on defense last year (re: Samford and App games. Awful. Just awful). They'll have some good QBs but I also think their O line might be a little thin. They lost two starters on the line. Do bring back some guys who have had some time other than starters, tho. But I still think losing McKinnon will have a huge impact in a lot of ways.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
florida was down to its third-string walk on QB - and I think Tech fans can remember just how bad an offense can look when you go that far down the depth chart to go up against a FCS team, be it a good one like Southern or a run of the mill one like Gardner Webb. And Florida still had a chance to win that game, and would have if not for Matt Dobson's pass break up in the end zone on the next to last play (a very, very overlooked play. As great as McKinnon's last TD was, if Dobson doesn't come from nowhere to knock away that pass, it's over).

Florida was in the midst of a long losing streak because injuries had just decimated them. Now, Southern had its share of injuries going into that game, too. And Southern's kicking game is still a mess. They lost a lot on defense and they weren't real good on defense last year (re: Samford and App games. Awful. Just awful). They'll have some good QBs but I also think their O line might be a little thin. They lost two starters on the line. Do bring back some guys who have had some time other than starters, tho. But I still think losing McKinnon will have a huge impact in a lot of ways.

FL's "3rd string QB", skyler mohrningweg, wasn't a walk on. he signed a schollie with FL out of HS turning down offers from tennessee, stanford, and penn state. http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2012&player_id=346

southern's starting QB was a redshirt freshman with exactly zero FBS offers.

the word "decimated" could be used to describe the eagles as well! it's a bit of an understatement to say, "southern had its share of injuries . . .". they walked onto the field in gainesville with around 45 scholarship players available for monken to use versus an SEC team that's allowed 85 schollies. they were without their best back, one of their best CBs, and mckinnon was 75% on a bum ankle. otherwise, he wouldn't have been caught on a few instances. the FL and SEC-homers like to play up the injury excuse.

you're certainly right their kicking game was ugly last year. have to see how that improves. koo has the leg. he might have been forced into action a little sooner than one would have liked last year as true freshman. mckinnon will certainly be hard to replace. he was like the eagles version of joshua nesbitt. a warrior. those guys are never easily replaced. with a new HC who not only brings a different offense but an entirely new philosophy/style of coaching in comparison to monken's previous regime, it's going to be interesting to see how the eagles improve for next season. as i've mentioned before, a lot of questions to answer.