Post Game

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The time to play cover 0 was on the last UNC drive. I agree it is sometimes better to risk it and let them score quickly.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I would rather get beat over the top and put try to put pressure on the qb than just let them march down the field

If our soft coverage was stopping big plays I could understand the bend but don't break scheme , but we are still giving up long pass plays to good QBs and good WRs. We should try something else as status quo is not working.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Oh my god....he has neglected to recruit blue chippers at every position. Is that your tongue in your cheek or a crack rock?

Why is this considered laughable to imagine Tech doing, when Georgia, Clemson, and Florida State expect this every year? Have you given up on Tech's ability to compete in the recruiting world?

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
This is all we can do. We have to rebuild. This was the last straw. We have to take our medicine now and try to get maybe for 4 wins for the next 3 years. That's all we can do.

I just don't see how we are going to get rid of a coach now. We still have to pay Hewitt's contract for another year. We would have to pay CPJ. Given that Coach Gregory program is not on the up and up I just don't see where the cash is going to come from. I think whether you are on the fire or not fire scale we need to ride out the CPJ era until cash free's up.

shockwaveGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Atomic Jacket post: 90473 said:
Why is this considered laughable to imagine Tech doing, when Georgia, Clemson, and Florida State expect this every year? Have you given up on Tech's ability to compete in the recruiting world?
Yes. Duh. To think otherwise is completely delusional.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

With our admission standards and lack of sports medicine majors, I think it is unreasonable to expect us to recruit a top 10 class every year. I don't think it is in unreasonable to recruit a top 10 class every 5-7 years though.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see how we are going to get rid of a coach now. We still have to pay Hewitt's contract for another year. We would have to pay CPJ. Given that Coach Gregory program is not on the up and up I just don't see where the cash is going to come from. I think whether you are on the fire or not fire scale we need to ride out the CPJ era until cash free's up.
This is not an accurate forecast of our financial situation, but this isn't the time or place for that discussion.

Atomic Jacket

Banned

The same argument was made when there was talk of Chan Gailey needing to be replaced. They said, "Where's the money going to come from? We're already in debt." All those ignorant naysayers were shocked when Gailey got fired and the cash appeared out of "nowhere" to pay Gailey's lucrative buyout and hire Johnson for what was a premium salary at that time. If it becomes time to fire Johnson, the money will appear.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Terrible loss no other way to put it. This basically ended any chance of this being a special year. Hope we beat UGA but I have better luck of walking to my mailbox and finding a million dollars inside. Different year SOS!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The same argument was made when there was talk of Chan Gailey needing to be replaced. They said, "Where's the money going to come from? We're already in debt." All those ignorant naysayers were shocked when Gailey got fired and the cash appeared out of "nowhere" to pay Gailey's lucrative buyout and hire Johnson for what was a premium salary at that time. If it becomes time to fire Johnson, the money will appear.
What's all this "if" stuff? I thought you were cooking up the tar and cutting up the feather pillows at half time?

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
I for one am still quite pleased with the season based on the defections we faced on the dline. We frankly have done amazing record wise and I credit some extraordinary coaching that we have 5 wins. Our d is going to improve next year. Let's hope we can scrape together another win or 5! Very proud of the effort tonight on offense. We are basically even with all the other coastal teams. It's a weird year in that respect. It will be interesting to see it play out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I for one am still quite pleased with the season based on the defections we faced on the dline. We frankly have done amazing record wise and I credit some extraordinary coaching that we have 5 wins. Our d is going to improve next year. Let's hope we can scrape together another win or 5! Very proud of the effort tonight on offense. We are basically even with all the other coastal teams. It's a weird year in that respect. It will be interesting to see it play out.
Good post, welcome to the board and keep posting!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Going to be interesting to see what happens this week. CPJ is fighting for his job now.
What do you mean by "this week"? As in during this week things could happen? Upon what basis is he "fighting for his job" this week? Because of a close loss on the road? You expected a win for some reason and upon what grounds?

Clearly, CPJ needed to use this year to cement himself for the following 2-3 years with Bobinski. They were always going to have a serious review coming at the end of this year and Bobinski would have a decision to make at that point. The only way there was going to be any sort of mid-season or in season firing would have been if the team tanked from the outset. But instead they had a great first half including really seriously good wins over VT and Miami which they had lost to repeatedly for years. So the post-season review will still take place, nothing has changed on that front and it never was going to change anyway.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What do you mean by "this week"? As in during this week things could happen? Upon what basis is he "fighting for his job" this week? Because of a close loss on the road? You expected a win for some reason and upon what grounds?

Clearly, CPJ needed to use this year to cement himself for the following 2-3 years with Bobinski. They were always going to have a serious review coming at the end of this year and Bobinski would have a decision to make at that point. The only way there was going to be any sort of mid-season or in season firing would have been if the team tanked from the outset. But instead they had a great first half including really seriously good wins over VT and Miami which they had lost to repeatedly for years. So the post-season review will still take place, nothing has changed on that front and it never was going to change anyway.

Sorry, should have been more clear...Meant interesting to see how the team reacts to the loss and how we bounce back...Yeah, nothing will happen during the year.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
He should be. That 5-0 start doesn't mean squat now.
I respectfully disagree.

We beat VPI and Miami, two teams we had not beat in years. Duke played dirty in several spots (not to mention the officiating), and everything I read this week on UNC felt disorienting because I kept thinking the writer was talking about UNC when discussing us, or vice versa! Two powerful offensive teams, two defenses with some work to do.

Many of us knew it might very well come to a shootout/winner is the one with the ball last, and many of those felt we would be on the losing end of same. That takes NOTHING away from the VPI and Miami wins.

I want to see what happens at Pitt. I just hope it's not freezing cold and sleeting or something. I think that'd be the only thing that could really throw us off, if we can otherwise buckle down, keep our self-respect, do our best to make improvements where they can be made, and rationally, realistically come back from these last two games.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I for one bashed JT inappropriately last week which I should not have done, but I thought he responded well and did not try to force things this time around. Sad to see Laskey go out. Pitt is 2-1 in the division so I hope that they do not let it get to them to much.
Pitt is better team than UNC and so is UVA. We all know that Clemson and UGA are tough. Which means that every game for the rest of the season is a struggle.

You simply cannot lose as many players as we did this past summer on defense without it hurting you. We're seeing that now.