Post Camp thoughts

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So camp is now officially over and Monday begins setting depth chart, scouts and UT prep. Here are my thoughts based on what I've heard.

Positions to feel very good about: OL, DL, Secondary, A-back, WR, P

Positions with talent but we'll see on who steps up and takes control: QB, B-back

Positions unsure about but we will definitely need a step up: LB, K

Overall the game is won in the trenches. PJ has said this could be his best OL ever. If they stay healthy we will move the ball. DL is deeper but will need some guys to step up. Simmons and Branch have had great camps. The Mills news sucks but based on all the other skill spots I'm not worried. I expect a top 3 team in ACC in scoring. May take a few weeks to get going so we will need D to step up and carry us at start. D has to create some turnovers which they have done much better this camp than previous.

So camp is now officially over and Monday begins setting depth chart, scouts and UT prep. Here are my thoughts based on what I've heard.

Positions to feel very good about: OL, DL, Secondary, A-back, WR, P

Positions with talent but we'll see on who steps up and takes control: QB, B-back

Positions unsure about but we will definitely need a step up: LB, K

Overall the game is won in the trenches. PJ has said this could be his best OL ever. If they stay healthy we will move the ball. DL is deeper but will need some guys to step up. Simmons and Branch have had great camps. The Mills news sucks but based on all the other skill spots I'm not worried. I expect a top 3 team in ACC in scoring. May take a few weeks to get going so we will need D to step up and carry us at start. D has to create some turnovers which they have done much better this camp than previous.
Yes, with the close of fall camp, we can begin a more traditional preparation that is focused on the first opponent. Many questions were answered in camp, but there are still a list of questions to be answered in the next two weeks. The timing of the Mills debacle at least allowed time to react/correct. It is even better than the usual mid-season injury to a starter where we'd have one week to coach-up the replacement. I think our DL will help our LB's play their way into "shape". Hope we can give them additional support by way of better schemes. Big things are expected from the back four. I know there is a lot of worry about the offense, but as in most of the last ten years, the defense holds the key to a successful season. If the defense can get incrementally better, we should be okay. If we win nine games, I will probably grouse that it could have been 10 or eleven with Mills, but nine wins, back to back would be outstanding.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mills gave us tslent with experience. Benson has the practice reps, but is missing game reps. Howard looks great, but 4 weeks is not a lot of reps. I think there is plenty of talent at BBack. Can that group come out firing on all cylinders? I sure hope so.

We are back to LB and K. We still don't know and will not know till the bullets start flying. Touch backs or will they get a chance to return. Game on the line and the field goal wins it... that is a often played out in football.

We all want a win, I am going to do my best just to enjoy the battle. Go Jackets!

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Any idea where UT's weaknesses are, and where we have a good matchup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I was reading on their forums they believe their DTs are talents but not deep and they have issues with talent at linebacker so I feel like if it's a close game late and the starting DT's and Linebacker are tired we should be able to pound it inside. Not having Mills will hurt here, but really if the Oline is doing what it should do the B-back or QB on a midline wouldn't be touched for at least 2-3 yards anyways.

As far as their offense goes their deep spot is their Oline. Their 2 deep minus the talented freshman all started last year at some point due to injury. They have turn over across all their skill positions though so a lot of the people handling the ball will be starting in their first big game.

DM was a kick in the nuts but I still feel good about the season.

They have been weak defending the run in recent years, but for the new year, who knows? I don't think anyone on their roster has seen the OBS. The other option offenses that they face aren't comparable to ours. I am sure their staff has been on the phone with Venables, Foster, and Uncle Rico to get hints, but I think they will be learning on the fly. Hopefully we can jump out fast--but we have had trouble in early season games ourselves with timing and mesh. I think they are basically a read-option team on offense, but they have a lot of new guys coming in, and their OL is banged up. Same old story, our defense has to defend their offense just a smidgen better than Tennessee defends our option. May be a pipe dream, but I kept thinking Miami game 2008 when their D was completely bewildered.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

From what I've read their secondary seems to be weak, they have some talented LB's, and the DL is kinda a ? OL is also a ? They already lost one OT and had to cancel the first scrimmage because of the OL not having enough depth. There has been talk, but nothing confirmed that they may lose another OT to suspension also a LB and DT might get suspended (all starters), it's just a rumor as of now though.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

QB, OL, RBs and secondary, They are starting a brand new QB with whoever they start. RBs have some experience but no proven starter, OL has lost both tackles, I think, one starter is out for you. Secondary is all new but experienced. D line and LBs are not deep with experience but they do have returning starters. WR two returning starters

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UT has way more questions than answers at this point. Both lines are question marks.

They have highly touted guys on the DL, but they got pushed around a lot last year. At the end of the year injuries took their toll, but even at full-strength they were getting manhandled by App State and Ohio. They lost their top three defensive ends.

Kirkland is a solid linebacker, but outside of him that position is weak and thin. Jumper is super slow.

Secondary is probably the strength of their defense.

OL is thin and I think their poor performance last year was masked by Dobbs' elusiveness. I don't think Dormady will be able to do that this year.

RB is thin. John Kelly is super fast but nothing behind him is proven.

QB is a huge ? for obvious reasons.

Their number one WR Juaun Jennings is a beast, but he is not a number one. No one else is proven. Their tight end is a decent pass catcher but a weak blocker.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm more worried about k than lb. I know this board gets a hate boner for Mitchell, but I don't think he's anything less than okay, and the other two linebackers are models we're both very familiar with. Short, Badger-like hitting machines? Alexander is just the next Harris or Nealy. Super athletic linebackers who are maybe a little bit soft but good in coverage? Terrell Lewis seems like a lower-middle-class man's Brandon watts.

But kicker...I remember with apprehension short kickoffs and long kick returns.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
What makes us feel very good about DL?

IMO they are in the same spot as LB -- graduated the most productive player in the position group, return the rest so it's wait and see against live fire.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo there is no excuse for a highly recruited starting lb core of vic Mitchell and lewis to not be good. Either then your talent development is eh or you are not hitting at recruiting. Lb should not be the issue it has been. I am sorry but this position has been more disappointing than the dl where we know it can be tough to recruit to at tech. Especially in a scheme that is lb friendly.

I think that we do have ? On the dl. Imo, i think it will be just ok. Part is scheme. Other part is freeman is a backup rotation talent that starts, or maybe has been injured too much. We will see. I think our best dl is simmons adams hendersen and st armour. I would like to see that combo. Imo with that lineup on 1st and 2nd downs our only challenge may be what we ask them to do. But with that lineup i think we can do it better. I say this based on fits. Adams fits a roof scheme. So does henderson. I think branch can be good but for space downs. He was an ideal tenuta 3tech. I actually like the dts. My worry is ends....and a bit of a dancing bear style at dl

In a more passing O branch can rotate in more with adams etc

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Imo there is no excuse for a highly recruited starting lb core of vic Mitchell and lewis to not be good. Either then your talent development is eh or you are not hitting at recruiting. Lb should not be the issue it has been. I am sorry but this position has been more disappointing than the dl where we know it can be tough to recruit to at tech. Especially in a scheme that is lb friendly.

I think that we do have ? On the dl. Imo, i think it will be just ok. Part is scheme. Other part is freeman is a backup rotation talent that starts, or maybe has been injured too much. We will see. I think our best dl is simmons adams hendersen and st armour. I would like to see that combo. Imo with that lineup on 1st and 2nd downs our only challenge may be what we ask them to do. But with that lineup i think we can do it better. I say this based on fits. Adams fits a roof scheme. So does henderson. I think branch can be good but for space downs. He was an ideal tenuta 3tech. I actually like the dts. My worry is ends....and a bit of a dancing bear style at dl

In a more passing O branch can rotate in more with adams etc
But Adams hasn't been first team since he's been here. I have been on team WillieBeamen, so I understand wanting a guy to be ready when injuries and development aren't there. But Adams was running with 2s in spring, has not been listed as a starter so is likely situational-to-rotational.

And I could definitely be wrong, but don't Adams and Henderson play the same 1tech spot? I think Glanton is Branch's backup now.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I feel more confused about what we have post camp than pre-camp. My biggest worry is the continued report of ball security issues.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Ted Roof plays Lewis, Vicious, and Mitchell at the same time, I'm actually confident they'll be a good group. If it's Roof is going to play a 2 LB set, we're f'd. Nothing against Mitchell, and I've said this multiple times, but he doesn't have the range to cover that much space. Lewis and Vicious can both cover a lot of ground, and if you let Mitchell patrol the areas between the tackles he's going to be a monster for us. He's very good diagnosing and getting to the ball, but he's a liability if he has to cover out wide.

From what I understand, Vicious is in the mold of PJ Davis...a guy who can rack up tackles, but he's a liability in pass coverage. We'll need to pay attention to that against UT because they spread the field and attack coverage weaknesses.

I'm still baffled why Lewis hasn't played more in his time at GT. This guy can cover a LOT of ground. The one game he started he played very well even when you factored in some of the mental errors he made.

I think the guys we signed in the 2017 class brings the size, range, length, and speed Lewis has, but they're freshmen. That group is going to be ballers.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think this DL will be one of the better groups we have had since 09. If our DTs can hold their ground we will be better defensively than we have been. Gamble was a good player, but he was more of a DE than a DT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think this DL will be one of the better groups we have had since 09. If our DTs can hold their ground we will be better defensively than we have been. Gamble was a good player, but he was more of a DE than a DT.

IMO, it's the best group CPJ has fielded that he was responsible for recruiting.