Portal Watch 2022-23

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing we don't miss a beat. We got players that can and will step up and this could be something of the norm over the next couple years. I'm guessing we improve our recruiting these next couple classes. The new system works both ways. Competition will determine the outcome. I've always wondered just how stable and successful the program would be if it is just about the money, not sure those are the type kids I would want. We may want kids that have other things that are important also, looking at the long term when they're in their teens early 20s. I could be wrong, we'll see. A kid graduating and playing their last year else where does make a lot of sense to me at times and circumstances.
Are you saying we won't miss Walton? If so I'll take the other side.This guy got 3 solid yrs of experience (making mistakes and soaking up changes needed)at CB which may be the most important position for exp (besides QB).if we have someone that can match him it seems last yr he would have emerged.Maybe, but I'm not aware of a guy. Oh--Someone WILL play the position but just not as well probably..

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Yall sayin' I'm.... funny?

Well...... sometimes....... I laugh about things, but in Swarmy kinda way.
Cat Fail GIF by JustViral

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
Hearing that all of the major schools in Florida have reached out to Zamari Walton, plus Ala., Ga., SC and Ole Missy. In demand to say the very least!
Because he is a NFL caliber corner. He has the measurables and from what I’ve seen with my own eyes, he’s pretty damn good. The other poster saying he will have to go the free agent route needs to stop listening to articles that don’t take into account combine etc… cuz Zamari will kill it there. He’s in the portal to get more exposure, and NIL opportunities

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I googled it. There is actually an organization called on3.com that produces an estimated NIL value for college football players. What that is based on, I have no clue. They may not as well. But hey, it seems they have found a nitch for the cyber surfers. As for the NFL, I looked at a couple of projected NFL draft sites that rate all 6 or 7 rounds of the NFL draft, and his name does not appear on them. I think if he thought he would be drafted he would not be coming back for another year anywhere.
Have you been watching the games? Wanna make a bet he’s drafted before the 7th round? Stop downplaying this loss as nothing, Zamari was nice.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
Are you saying we won't miss Walton? If so I'll take the other side.This guy got 3 solid yrs of experience (making mistakes and soaking up changes needed)at CB which may be the most important position for exp (besides QB).if we have someone that can match him it seems last yr he would have emerged.Maybe, but I'm not aware of a guy. Oh--Someone WILL play the position but just not as well probably..
Facts

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm asking because I have never heard this about the CB position - what are you basing that on?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. On downside to Walton is his production. 3INTs in 5 season is a head scratcher
I always felt like he struggled to get his head around. Felt like he was in the right position almost always but just late to find the ball.
Does anyone else find it odd that Key retweeted and liked Kelly’s tweet about Walton transferring? Not sure I’ve ever seen that from a head coach before.
This could be evidence that he couldn’t get into our grad school as others have mentioned.

Definitely a big loss. He’s been our best corner for a while. I think this one hurts worse than McCullom.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The MBA program is notoriously difficult to get into due to the experience requirements. I've noticed most Graduate SAs usually go into Masters of Construction Management...seems to be our version of "Masters of <insert liberal arts degree>".
Every former college athlete that I have met in my career has been in construction management.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Certainly I would rather have Walton than not, but just a gut feel that people are going to step up this year, gonna be different IMO. Too many times I have watched changes like we are making(I think this is going to work and we're going to see it fairly quickly) and people just come forth and perform that you did not think would do as well as they do. We should have a pretty good idea I'm guessing by mid-season. It's obvious the kids like playing for Key. He's a leader IMO. Putting together an interesting staff, young, hungry, given opportunity to show and perform, I just like how it all feels now. We shall see. Do I think we go undefeated, NO.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Because that’s how the system defines an athlete who has graduated but still has eligibility. So I’m referring to him using proper terminology.
I think Richard was accentuating the difference between transferring because of a lack of playing time, NIL, etc. and transferring because of graduate school considerations.
They're both transfers, but for quite different reasons. The latter is much more a transfer of necessity.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think Richard was accentuating the difference between transferring because of a lack of playing time, NIL, etc. and transferring because of graduate school considerations.
They're both transfers, but for quite different reasons. The latter is much more a transfer of necessity.
So what happens when a young man has eligibility remaining, has graduated, either wants to go to grad school elsewhere or wasn't accepted at his current school, AND wants more playing time and more NIL? Do we need yet another word for that? ;)

The motivation really isn't accounted for by the terms used. In all cases the student-athlete is "transferring" his/her remaining eligibility to another school. I think, though I'm not certain, we have a specific term for when that student-athlete has actually earned his/her degree (graduate transfer) because it used to be one of the only ways you would be immediately eligible to play even if you transferred to another school of the same level.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Uga doesn’t like to take them either. Kirby said he would rather develop players than hit the portal. Makes sense when you build a culture the rotation of players can be good but if you take a few of the wrong transfers it may kill your locker room
Kirby isn’t an idiot tho. He recruited Caleb Williams hard out of the portal and they have 3 portal WRs coming in this year. He doesn’t use it the same as much but he definitely understands its value.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Kirby isn’t an idiot tho. He recruited Caleb Williams hard out of the portal and they have 3 portal WRs coming in this year. He doesn’t use it the same as much but he definitely understands its value.
One of uga te ( Arc) is joining Sims at Nebraska. Guess Rhule thinks he is worth the locker room risk.