Portal Watch 2022-23

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
1673372282269.png

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The most disappointing one for me was the bama d-end transfer. Had high hopes for him
I wonder if he transfers again after spring. might depend on what sort of spring Gray Carroll or Noah Collins has. We have a lot of DLs that are not contributing much and could be getting looks going fwd at some better players, who knows. Also, where or do Lockett, Miles fit in? Lockett looks like a Biggers type role to me.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

"Personal: Born Dec. 2, 2000 … first name pronounced “eh-tee-OH-sah” with a silent “N” … earned degree in criminal justice in December 2022 … two-time ACC Honor Roll selection (2019 and 2021) completed microinternships with Synnex and Adobe in spring 2022."
It’s pronounced lev-ee-OH-sah not lev-ee-oh-SAH. 🤣

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
What is our headcount these days? I get the sense that is is well over 85.
Not necessarily responding to this, but since you mentioned scholarship limit, I’ll drop this here. Mods move if need be.

But I just had this thought…doesn’t an uncapped NIL limit essentially cancel the 85 scholarship limit if need be? Who’s to say big money schools won’t pay blue chip recruits to walk on? Is there a rule? (Not that it matters)

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily responding to this, but since you mentioned scholarship limit, I’ll drop this here. Mods move if need be.

But I just had this thought…doesn’t an uncapped NIL limit essentially cancel the 85 scholarship limit if need be? Who’s to say big money schools won’t pay blue chip recruits to walk on? Is there a rule? (Not that it matters)
Had a similar thought back when some of the NIL craziness first broke into the news. As I see it, the 85 limit still is in place but NCAA enforcement is essentially neutered by NIL. I recall one school (Utah?) announcing that their entire team had been given scholly-level NIL deals. At some point, a scholarship becomes relatively meaningless when NIL deals can equal or exceed its value.
Unfortunately, scholarship limits, and the threat of their reduction, were one of the few things the NCAA had left to try to maintain a semblance of parity.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Had a similar thought back when some of the NIL craziness first broke into the news. As I see it, the 85 limit still is in place but NCAA enforcement is essentially neutered by NIL. I recall one school (Utah?) announcing that their entire team had been given scholly-level NIL deals. At some point, a scholarship becomes relatively meaningless when NIL deals can equal or exceed its value.
Unfortunately, scholarship limits, and the threat of their reduction, were one of the few things the NCAA had left to try to maintain a semblance of parity.
It was BYU, and they have an NIL deal to basically pay tuition for their walk ons.

I think there is still a total roster count limit that includes walkons, but it's like 135 or something.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It was BYU, and they have an NIL deal to basically pay tuition for their walk ons.

I think there is still a total roster count limit that includes walkons, but it's like 135 or something.
You're correct it was BYU, and according to reports it attracted the attention of the NCAA (for what it's worth). https://kslsports.com/474620/byu-football-ncaa-built-bar-nil-probe/
Same article mentions a 123 roster limit but I don't know for sure if that's correct.

Point being, NIL can be a workaround to the current scholarship limits. Even if a school is being punished via scholarship reductions.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I think total is 105.
105 is camp number…85 scholarship players and 20 walk ons. FBS is 85 scholarship limit. FCS is 65 if I remember correctly, and they’re able to have 95 at camp. I can’t remember DII numbers.

I could be mistaken, but I believe schools may be able to have as many as they want on the roster? Back in my day we had somewhere in the ballpark of 120, more than there were lockers, as is the case at a lot of schools. I wouldn’t be surprised if some schools have anywhere from 130-150ish, the later being DII, NAIA.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Exactly...but the kid would have to use the money to pay for tuition.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I agree. If I had a program that could find the NIL funding, I’d load my top 15-20 kids with NIL deals that included tuition, room and board. Save the schollies for the next 85 kids.
I’ve made this claim every time someone offers scholarship limits as a possible solution / leveling of the field. I think scholarships are now wholly irrelevant or soon will be...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree. If I had a program that could find the NIL funding, I’d load my top 15-20 kids with NIL deals that included tuition, room and board. Save the schollies for the next 85 kids.
I’ve made this claim every time someone offers scholarship limits as a possible solution / leveling of the field. I think scholarships are now wholly irrelevant or soon will be...

Ncaa makes scholarship limits and only allows scholarship players.
No walk ons allowed.

What about that?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Ncaa makes scholarship limits and only allows scholarship players.
No walk ons allowed.

What about that?
What about no scholarships and no NIL?

"Man, I did love this game. I'd have played for food money. It was a game. The sounds, the smells. Did you ever hold a ball or a glove to your face?...I used to love travelling on the trains from town to town. The hotels...brass spittoons in the lobbies, brass beds in the rooms. It was the crowd, rising to their feet when the ball was hit deep. Shoot...I'd have played for nothing!"​
- Shoeless Joe Jackson