Portal Watch 2022-23

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It has nothing to do with what you or I think as regular fans. However, we're talking big dollars for championships. Players are starting to get paid for their play. Boosters are starting to pay huge dollars and if a player costs his/her team a championship, there are going to be some big issues.
This.

We're close to reaching that tipping point where it becomes obvious that "you can't have it both ways." Either these players are professional "employees," responsible for generating millions of dollars in revenue, or they're college kids.

If the former, they're accepting a higher level of accountability for results - and if someone doling out NIL money is interested in winning championships (not that that sort of pay-for-results would ever happen, since this NIL money is only about advertising, right?), then the NIL organization should have the right to contractually obligate the person representing them to play in any bowl games, unless an injury is present. And of course, the player is fine to not accept that NIL money.

Of course, this would only happen in a world where teams' donors weren't ready and willing to light ridiculous amounts of cash on fire, just to get someone to their school (irrespective of results).

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This.

We're close to reaching that tipping point where it becomes obvious that "you can't have it both ways." Either these players are professional "employees," responsible for generating millions of dollars in revenue, or they're college kids.

If the former, they're accepting a higher level of accountability for results - and if someone doling out NIL money is interested in winning championships (not that that sort of pay-for-results would ever happen, since this NIL money is only about advertising, right?), then the NIL organization should have the right to contractually obligate the person representing them to play in any bowl games, unless an injury is present. And of course, the player is fine to not accept that NIL money.

Of course, this would only happen in a world where teams' donors weren't ready and willing to light ridiculous amounts of cash on fire, just to get someone to their school (irrespective of results).
Why does every one seem to assume the NIL contracts don't have terms and conditions? At the end of.the day it's on those companies to say we pay by the game, playing time, etc. They could say we pay a lump sum at end of.season based on games played. Lot's of ways to protect the company's investment.

JacketFan137

Banned
Why does every one seem to assume the NIL contracts don't have terms and conditions? At the end of.the day it's on those companies to say we pay by the game, playing time, etc. They could say we pay a lump sum at end of.season based on games played. Lot's of ways to protect the company's investment.
also who cares what happens to the companies and their money. these are pretty large businesses/alumni with INSANE money. if they were in the business to make money i don’t think NIL was ever the path

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But a bowl game versus a play-off game? Now we're talking about a game with meaning. Does that change the calculus? What if there's a NIL deal in place...?

Hate to break it to people who think of college football as a student-athlete endeavor, but it's not for most of the elite players IMHO. It's the only path to the NFL. Via the state sponsored NFL farm league. (tic - everyone on here knows this)

So for a player every game is a risk calculation of enhancing stats and getting experience versus injury. Playing in a CFP game gets lots of exposure and would probably be worth it. Playing in one of the other bowls doesn't matter (I haven't watched one of the 41 total bowls yet this year.)

As to the NIL, the terms and conditions of the NIL to play in bowls will get tightened up as the schools/big donors get experience with the system and how to structure NIL contracts. But other than with holding funds, I don't think there is a way to force a "student-athlete" to play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
also who cares what happens to the companies and their money. these are pretty large businesses/alumni with INSANE money. if they were in the business to make money i don’t think NIL was ever the path

As with anything to do with $$$, someone will find a way to make money from NIL (outside of the SAs themselves)...then watch NIL become BIG business in college sports.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There are insurance policies for disability/loss of value. On the one hand I can understand shutting it down for the bowl game, but you aren't any more likely to be injured in that game than any other. Unless your performance affects draft stock, why not sit out regular season games? I think it's a bit more about timing to prepare for the draft and what is already seen as kosher instead of abandoning the team. I'm not sure if the insurance policies suck, people are foolhardy thinking nothing could happen off-season or what. I imagine if I were a top prospect I'd be thinking about $$$ beyond my signing / rookie contract even though the likelihood of stardom is objectively low. That may make them more risk averse for getting injured in the bowl game since insurance companies are going to be very skeptical about projected earnings being the rookie deal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are insurance policies for disability/loss of value. On the one hand I can understand shutting it down for the bowl game, but you aren't any more likely to be injured in that game than any other. Unless your performance affects draft stock, why not sit out regular season games? I think it's a bit more about timing to prepare for the draft and what is already seen as kosher instead of abandoning the team. I'm not sure if the insurance policies suck, people are foolhardy thinking nothing could happen off-season or what. I imagine if I were a top prospect I'd be thinking about $$$ beyond my signing / rookie contract even though the likelihood of stardom is objectively low. That may make them more risk averse for getting injured in the bowl game since insurance companies are going to be very skeptical about projected earnings being the rookie deal.

I think the extra month of time closer to the combine is why I'd stay out. You get lots of small injuries playing CFB and need to let your body recover as much as possible before the combine (which is a really big deal for the NFL as people here know). I know from triathlon / cycling that you focus on peaking for certain races during the season and would imagine it's the same for the combine; you want to be at peak performance at that time.

It's all about maximizing your draft chances.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Wasn't there a time not too long ago where the better players, knowing they were going to be 1st rounders, had insurance policies taken out on themselves?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You don’t want this guy. He wouldn’t make it one semester.
You may be right, but neither of us knows how well, or poorly, he might do at GT. He has some issues, that is certain, and he is apparently unhappy in Athens. I wonder if his expectations as a 5* recruit were a lot different than the reality he found and what we see is a very disappointed young man.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair. I think one of the reasons people assume there aren’t performance-related terms and conditions is that, IIRC, the NCAA prohibits them.

Which was pretty much the point of my post. There’s a time coming soon when the question will be forced, and the line of what’s acceptable for performance-related contracts and what’s not will likely shift from murky gray to more black and white.*

*With exceptions for the blue-blood programs and the “best story” programs, like uGA, for whom the NCAA will turn a blind eye.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You may be right, but neither of us knows how well, or poorly, he might do at GT. He has some issues, that is certain, and he is apparently unhappy in Athens. I wonder if his expectations as a 5* recruit were a lot different than the reality he found and what we see is a very disappointed young man.
What we should keep in mind is that these players are still kids, sort of. I still had some issues I was working through at that age myself, so I can relate.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I mean if they are getting paid to play through NIL, and they don’t play, then some of the money should be given back. Now if they don’t want to play in a random bowl game, that’s still their choice.
NIL money is specifically Not pay for play, well that’s the guideline. It’s for using the players Name, image or likeness for corporate advertising.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This.

Your ZM contract is actually the one thing NIL agreements are prohibited from doing

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
NIL money is specifically Not pay for play, well that’s the guideline. It’s for using the players Name, image or likeness for corporate advertising.
That's what it's supposed to be. We'll see what happens when a guy getting $1MM NIL money from a State U booster decides not to play in a playoff game. Will the booster come back and say that not playing has damaged the reputation of the player or decreased the NIL value of the player by not playing and demand money back? Where's the popcorn?