Portal Watch 2022-23

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't begrudge what these guys make. Nor what CEO's or baseball players or actors or entertainers or entrepenuers make. It's all just economics and free markets and supply and demand. None of them took the 9 to 5 route to get there.
i don’t mind how much they make, i just get the vibe like the coaches that publicly complain about some of this stuff all the time are basically mad someone else is getting their DESERVED piece of the pie. coaches have spent decades leaving programs high and dry over night. complaining about the players doing the same thing is just funny to me

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Mods - this is a good discussion...of note, I started a separate thread on this and related topics a couple of weeks ago to try and keep other threads on topic. In case clean up is warranted.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Athletics aren’t the “working” world. Professional sports leagues have rules about tampering in order to retain competitive balance. If college players want to be paid like professionals they should be put under similar restraints as professionals.
The athletes accept those restrictions in exchange for other things like minimum salaries and so on. Some leagues are more player friendly than others (fully guaranteed contracts, for instance), it all comes down to what their union and the league bargain for. Unions are much more similar to the working world than they are to schools traditionally, although grad students are pushing more and more for unionization and better pay too. Same sort of deal - more professionalization or the field, more $$ captured by administrators and such for research or entertainment done by students.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
But they aren’t under contract. Zero college athletes have a contract. In the working world, I don’t have a contract and even if I’m not actively looking for a new job, any company could offer me more money and I can make a decision to listen or not.
I did put "contract" in quotes for a reason. They do sign LOIs which can be construed as a contract.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Nope but, as you suggest, that's not the world we're operating in.

Man, how you admit there are no rules in one post, then quote all this ... mishe-goss... in another post?

And ... (the screeching sound is me moving the goal posts) ... good luck enforcing any of these supposed rules you're quoting. :whistle:
Sorry, I was not clear in articulating that "there are no rules" was in reference to what you were advocating. Obviously, based on the other post, there are some rules and offering players who are not in the portal is a clear violation of one.

MySouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When you sign with a school out of high school, it’s a guaranteed 3 year commitment. If you transfer early, you sit a year. After 3 years … go wherever you want after.

And start making nil contracts go that 3 year term.

I think that solves a few problems …

1) any elite prospect at a non-blue chip school is leaving after 3 years anyways, so it eliminates a lot of talent piaching
2) kids that do it right can get their undergrad done in 3 years. So allows for them to transfer wherever for a masters degree or for a different opportunity.
3) way less chaos in the portal.
4) hopefully Keeps kids on a guaranteed scholarship too, eliminating a large % of the “processing”

Kids still get their money. College football im has more continuity and also is a step closer to a level playing field.
Pretty sure all athletic scholarships are technically one year commitments but i could be wrong.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
So you think that colleges should be allowed to offer kids a bunch of money to come play, even when they aren't in the portal?
Should colleges be allowed to offer coaches a bunch of money to come coach at their school, even if they’re not unemployed?

Should LSU have been able to offer Kelly all that money while he was coaching at ND? Or what about USC while Riley was coaching at OU?

If it’s okay for the coaches, it should be okay for the players. That’s the way I see it.

College football is a business now. The NCAA wasn’t prepared (go figure) for what it’s become, so it’s going to be wild for a few year until something forces a change.

Kelly will make $100MM while at LSU to coach 18-22 football players.

JacketFan137

Banned
College football is a business now. The NCAA wasn’t prepared (go figure) for what it’s become, so it’s going to be wild for a few year until something forces a change.
it’s a business now? i think it’s been one at least since the 90s/2000s. i’m too young to remember anything before that though

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's been a business for a long time, but it has really exploded in the last 10-15 years.

I have become alot less invested in college football and basketball over that time as you could see the bifurcation coming where just a handful of programs are truly competing for championships.
I used to live and die by how GT FB and MBB did, now, if they lose I don't get that upset - I just get on with life. If they win there is a little momentary excitement, but it doesn't last very long either.

NIL was not supposed to be a pay for play program (which is still against NCAA Rules), but that is what it quickly became at the highest levels - especially with the transfer portal with the free transfer coming online at the same time.
Interestingly, this has not really been a big issue for college basketball - it has largely been bypassed by NIL and shoe companies are still the primary driver there.

I'd probably have more interest if there was a break in college football between those who just want to drop any pretenses that the sport has anything to do with a University and those programs that want to operate under a more student-athlete model. It would be easier to get into if you knew you were competing against other programs that had similar ideals.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree with you, my suggestion would be to make incredibly harsh punishments, i.e loss of many scholarships, or giant sanctions, or any number of things, but I think the only way to really enforce it is have very tough consequences for anyone involved.
I’ve been totally on then periphery of all of this but I chuckle everytime someone mentions scholarship limits (or reductions) as a penalty. Given what we’ve seen so far, scholarships are about irrelevant.... especially to factories.
If I were them, I’d start by taking your top 20 guys and getting them NIL deals that covered “college expenses.” Then I’d give the next 85 guys “traditional scholarships” against my “limit.” Penalize me 5 schollies? Who cares?!?

The whole impetus is dollars. The only penalty that will work is monetary. There is no enforcement agency, league or group in college athletics to impose financial penalties. The entire premise has changed for the revenue sports at big time universities, so none of the “traditional” penalties will apply. If it doesn’t get reined in considerably (and I don’t think any party exists who can do it), then college athletics is going to have to rethink everything.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Should colleges be allowed to offer coaches a bunch of money to come coach at their school, even if they’re not unemployed?

Should LSU have been able to offer Kelly all that money while he was coaching at ND? Or what about USC while Riley was coaching at OU?

If it’s okay for the coaches, it should be okay for the players. That’s the way I see it.

Kelly will make $100MM while at LSU to coach 18-22 football players.
If a college coach breaks a contract there's usually a buyout, at least some sort of penalty. Players nowadays can just move to wherever the money is with no penalty.

Coaches are also professionals being paid as professionals. If the players are now supposed to be professionals, then create a salary cap, remove scholarships and class requirements, and go the whole way. As it is right now, any school could in theory purchase all the top 100 players and "win" championships every year.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
JT Daniels to Rice. School #4.

Despite his decent numbers, I would never sign him. He's soft as baby $**t. Has never stood up to adversity. Always on the run. I mean the guy had tons of pressure on him from middle school so I don't know what the mental aspects of that are, few if any of us do. This will get worse now that college football has opened the wallets and are paying these guys. Combine that with the tremendous influence "digital connections" vs face to face interaction, the end result is not good for anybody.