Portal Watch 2022-23

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

247 High school scouting report:

High-volume playmaker from a talent-laden private school who put up big numbers as a prep standout. Adequate receiver frame with average height and enough space to add bulk in college. Can line up outside or in the slot. Could provide special teams value in the return game. Shows good run-after-catch ability. Light-footed and agile in the short area. Owns above average long speed. Instinctive receiver who runs to open space. Willing to work the middle. Flashes encouraging high-pointing ability and body control in the red zone. Outstanding production. More than 2,000 receiving yards and 20 TD's in final two high school seasons. Must add bulk and strength to combat Power Five defensive backs. May be more quick than fast. Rounds off routes at times. Will be asked to run a full route tree after getting a ton of touches in the screen game in high school. Faces notable jump in competition going from Texas private school level to P5. Intriguing receiver prospect with the athleticism and instincts to become a Power 5 starter.

College production:

1670891980381.jpeg

1670891992872.jpeg

No paywall info btw

Last edited:

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
247 High school scouting report:

High-volume playmaker from a talent-laden private school who put up big numbers as a prep standout. Adequate receiver frame with average height and enough space to add bulk in college. Can line up outside or in the slot. Could provide special teams value in the return game. Shows good run-after-catch ability. Light-footed and agile in the short area. Owns above average long speed. Instinctive receiver who runs to open space. Willing to work the middle. Flashes encouraging high-pointing ability and body control in the red zone. Outstanding production. More than 2,000 receiving yards and 20 TD's in final two high school seasons. Must add bulk and strength to combat Power Five defensive backs. May be more quick than fast. Rounds off routes at times. Will be asked to run a full route tree after getting a ton of touches in the screen game in high school. Faces notable jump in competition going from Texas private school level to P5. Intriguing receiver prospect with the athleticism and instincts to become a Power 5 starter.

College production:

View attachment 13784
View attachment 13785

No paywall info btw
Not much production. Seems like a reach, but we had a lot of spots open up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A much needed addition to the team. Any quarterbacks needing a spot inquire at : the Georgia Institute of Technology. Ask for coach Key.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We definitely need some experience in the WR room.
Lane suffered a season ending injury in 2021 during game 7.
Best year by far was the COVID year with 29 catches for 409 yds and 2 TD.
Played in 8 games this season with 7 catches for 79 yds (was tied 8th in receptions and 10th in rec yards).

I don't see him being a one for one replacement for McCollum but he at least adds a little depth and experience to the WR corps.

Given he will have a Masters when he departs A&M have to think this is at least partially an academic move.
One disappointment from a football perspective is due to him finishing up his Masters (which he absolutely should be focused on) means he won't be at GT for Spring practice so he won't have the opportunity to start working with the Zach's until the summer.

Just looking at who is leaving have to think we are looking at WR, RB, QB, DE, LB in the portal.
I'm assuming since Smith walked on Sr day that he is not returning which means we are basically completely rebuilding both the WR and RB rooms (We lose 86% of our rushing yards and 10 of 13 rushing TDs and 74% of our receiving yards and 8 of 10 receiving TD's).

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Played in 8 games this season with 7 catches for 79 yds (was tied 8th in receptions and 10th in rec yards).

I don't see him being a one for one replacement for McCollum but he at least adds a little depth and experience to the WR corps.

Given he will have a Masters when he departs A&M have to think this is at least partially an academic move.
One disappointment from a football perspective is due to him finishing up his Masters (which he absolutely should be focused on) means he won't be at GT for Spring practice so he won't have the opportunity to start working with the Zach's until the summer.

Just looking at who is leaving have to think we are looking at WR, RB, QB, DE, LB in the portal.
I'm assuming since Smith walked on Sr day that he is not returning which means we are basically completely rebuilding both the WR and RB rooms (We lose 86% of our rushing yards and 10 of 13 rushing TDs and 74% of our receiving yards and 8 of 10 receiving TD's).
Smith is likely returning. Priorities are WR, LB, QB. I think we will likely add another TE, OL, DL from the portal as well if there is a good fit.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Smith is likely returning. Priorities are WR, LB, QB. I think we will likely add another TE, OL, DL from the portal as well if there is a good fit.
What’s Hall eligibility? Is he back as well? I really liked what I saw from Felix and Martin is right there too. RB room should be good

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Blackburn should see a bit more usage too next season.