Portal Watch 2022-23

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll take Ken's word on it as stated McCollum was listed on that site before Key or the official transfer date and just based of his tweet. I'm sure theres some legal filing would've had to be submitted and I bet that is the part that Ken is speaking of meaning he's not official in the portal yet. He's able to do that at anytime in the next like what 25+ days so he definitely still can but the longer that goes on the more likely he's staying!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That site you linked isn't the official portal. It's like a recruiting website trying to keep track of who's coming and going.
Got it... thanks. That wasn't my link. It was provided in response to someone asking for an easy official list of who is coming and going... hence my confusion.

I'm glad he's still not in there. Hopefully that means no one outside of GT is filling his head with fantastical stories of life elsewhere...

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
McCollum is NOT currently in the portal.
Everyone keeps saying WR’s are easy to replace, but I think he’s a small outlier. I do agree talent for that position is abundant, but his combination of skills seems to result in an above average weapon. On top of his speedy route running /ability to get open, he has made plenty of catches in really tight windows. This earns a lot QB trust, and we like a confident QB.
A further developed Pyron, McCollum and Blackburn trio would create a lot of problems next year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Hearing a LOT of chatter that not only is McCollum strongly considering staying, but Dontae Smith is considering returning as well. IIRC, Smith walked on Senior Day, which is usually an indication a player is leaving.
Would be great to have both those guys back, that would really help build towards next season and have some experienced guys around Pyron.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Everyone keeps saying WR’s are easy to replace, but I think he’s a small outlier. I do agree talent for that position is abundant, but his combination of skills seems to result in an above average weapon. On top of his speedy route running /ability to get open, he has made plenty of catches in really tight windows. This earns a lot QB trust, and we like a confident QB.
A further developed Pyron, McCollum and Blackburn trio would create a lot of problems next year.
McCullum would be a big loss. We had no other reliable receiver last year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Hearing a LOT of chatter that not only is McCullum strongly considering staying, but Dontae Smith is considering returning as well. IIRC, Smith walked on Senior Day, which is usually an indication a player is leaving.

Dantae graduates this Dec. If he had had the season to set him up for an NFL career he might be gone for sure, but he may be considering an opportunity at GT in another year to enhance his NFL hopes, or another year elsewhere to have a big year..

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
McCullum would be a big loss. We had no other reliable receiver last year.
Maybe that's one reason we're looking for a new receivers coach.
I think Rutherford could step into McCollum's role. And there's still the Haynes kid from Grayson at the slot.
Now, there is no telling if they will be as good or productive as McCollum. But we are not without potential at the position.
What we desperately need is one of the outside receivers to take a big step forward.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I bet Choice isn’t going anywhere. I would imagine he got lots of NIL money to spread around there at Texas and I doubt we have enough to entice him to come back considering where we are. Plus unless the OC is Weinke (sp) how can Key be the one to fill out the rest of the new OC’s position coaches on his side of the ball?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I agree though we need a solid to great WR and TE coach who can develop players and be great at spotting potential “under the radar” talent.

budweisersong404

Georgia Tech Fan
If we can keep Pyron, McCollum, Blackburn, and Dontae Smith while bringing in a local former highly recruited receiver, I believe this offense could be really fun to watch next year.

Two names that come to mind currently in the portal are:
Daejon Reynolds, UF
Zevian Capers, Auburn

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think this year taught us that the OL is the critical piece. Glad to see we may bring back the starting 5 for the first time in ages.
I think Key, as a former OL, understands the curve of development. You are taking a lot of chubby, big framed boys, and turning them into 400-500 lb bench pressing men.

LawyersGuns&Money

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe that's one reason we're looking for a new receivers coach.
I think Rutherford could step into McCollum's role. And there's still the Haynes kid from Grayson at the slot.
Now, there is no telling if they will be as good or productive as McCollum. But we are not without potential at the position.
What we desperately need is one of the outside receivers to take a big step forward.

Alternatively, we need a coach who can scheme around using McCollum and Rutherford together as they seem to be the best of what we have.

LawyersGuns&Money

Georgia Tech Fan
An RPO spread getting Donate on the edge going north/south and using Pyron (who learns to slide some more) effectively running coupled with using both McCollum and Rutherford can score us some points.