Poll: Where Do We Finish In The ACC?

Where Do We Finish In The ACC in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where do you think we finish in the 14 team ACC? Not just Coastal. In 2022, we were 15-15 and tied for 7th with two other teams. D1 picked us to finish 9th this year or about the same.

ACC play starts next Friday with ND @GT. The poll will close on Thursday.

I kind of see the same performance with 7th to 8th. My hopeful case is that we take a month to figure out pitching and then come on hot at the end of the season. Of course, history sides with a Hall swoon, but I'm hopeful that we'll do better once we get two more starting pitchers.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just don’t have the starting pitching to be competitive this year. And lost just too much offensive talent to make up for it.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I went 9th. I think UVa, UNC, Miami, NC State, Wake, FSU, and Louisville are looking to be the top half. We could grab that 8th spot, but I'll go with 9th mainly based on the lack of starting pitching. The team that we are fielding right now is probably not that high, but I'm thinking (perhaps hoping) that some of the injuries will sort themselves out over the next few weeks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The combined records of the Atlantic teams we do not play is 29-2 right now. FSU, NC State & Wake Forest. The ACC schedule looks to be as helpful as possible right now.

If we can get healthy really quick (No idea if we can) & really nail down the best rotation, then we'll see. Need to improve in most key areas.

Here's Warren Nolan projection (https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/conf-prediction?conference=ACC ) as of Sunday morning. It has us 10th which makes sense to me; like others I think we'll get somewhat better as our injuries "normalize".

It also shows your point that not drawing WF, NC State and FSU helps. Of the others who I think are clearly better than we are: UVa is awesome so far this year; another shutout yesterday, Miami is stacked with talent and took down Florida and I always respect L'Ville. So at reasonable best (what I voted for) we are at 7th.

1678020894372.png

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's Warren Nolan projection (https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/conf-prediction?conference=ACC ) as of Sunday morning. It has us 10th which makes sense to me; like others I think we'll get somewhat better as our injuries "normalize".

It also shows your point that not drawing WF, NC State and FSU helps. Of the others who I think are clearly better than we are: UVa is awesome so far this year; another shutout yesterday, Miami is stacked with talent and took down Florida and I always respect L'Ville. So at reasonable best (what I voted for) we are at 7th.

View attachment 14083
I'll go out on a limb and take the under on Wake going 55-1;)

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I picked 5th or 6th. Traditionally we never do as well as we are supposed to when we are picked near the top. Likewise we usually finish much better than predicted when picked near the bottom. We lost a lot of talent off last year's team but still have a lot of talent on this year's team. If we can nail down another starter with either Hill or McGuire I like the back end of the bullpen. Maybe the one weekend start ends up being a staff day where we mix and match depending on the other teams' strengths unless one of the young guys can play up to their talent level.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

View attachment 14083
Well, it looks like Wake took their one loss for the season tonight. I must've missed where Coastal joined the ACC, though.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I tried to predict how I think we would do against the teams we play.

Home: ND: 2-1, Clemson: 2-1, UNC: 1-2, PITT: 3-0, UVA: 1-2
Road: LOU: 0-3, BC: 2-1, VT: 1-2, MIA: 1-2, DUKE: 2-1

That turned out to be 15-15 in conference.

I then looked at where 15-15 would land in the ACC in past years, and it was pretty consistent. 2022: T7; 2021: T6; 2020: N/A; 2019: T7; 2018: 8; 2017: T8. And T7 (tied for 7th place), or T8 could be 7 to 10. I did not try to determine tie breakers.

I made no account for 15-15 versus 14-14, etc., if a team was 0.500 I considered that equivalent to 15-15, other than 2020.

So my guess is 7th to 8th in conference. I'll predict 8th, so we hopefully perform better than that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I tried to predict how I think we would do against the teams we play.

Home: ND: 2-1, Clemson: 2-1, UNC: 1-2, PITT: 3-0, UVA: 1-2
Road: LOU: 0-3, BC: 2-1, VT: 1-2, MIA: 1-2, DUKE: 2-1

That turned out to be 15-15 in conference.

I then looked at where 15-15 would land in the ACC in past years, and it was pretty consistent. 2022: T7; 2021: T6; 2020: N/A; 2019: T7; 2018: 8; 2017: T8. And T7 (tied for 7th place), or T8 could be 7 to 10. I did not try to determine tie breakers.

I made no account for 15-15 versus 14-14, etc., if a team was 0.500 I considered that equivalent to 15-15, other than 2020.

So my guess is 7th to 8th in conference. I'll predict 8th, so we hopefully perform better than that.
Really? .500? That's what you came up with?
I'll go with 16-13 (one weather cancelation)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Really? .500? That's what you came up with?
I'll go with 16-13 (one weather cancelation)
Yes it is!

I just tried to predict who we were playing and where. I hope we're better than 2-1 at home against Notre Dame to start the ACC season, but our starting pitching...

And definitely hope we're better than 0-3 at Louisville, because I plan to be there. Let's Go Jackets! Who else is coming to Louisville?