Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
don't understand what you are trying to accomplish by constantly ranting against CGC and the portion of the fanbase that supports him (as any good fan of a FIRST YEAR head coach should be doing).

He wanted the option to remain, is pissed that it isn't, and is taking his frustration out by taking any shot he can at the new staff.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
I see your point on his overall record and think it’s fair. I mean, for the 60 min of the game, he was excellent for clock management, play calling, etc. sometimes you don’t win ... but that’s what I was referring to.

He definitely was good at clock management and play calling...when we were ahead. However, it was a given that if we were behind by more than 7 points, it would take a defensive miracle to make up the gap. That was one of my most frustrated issues with CPJ, he wouldn't change no matter what. His way was always the best way, but it didn't work all that well in a hurry up offense. He definitely added a nice bit of relevancy a few seasons and I like having a few 3-4 loss seasons but the lows were pretty bad. Note that the low season weren't much better than this year, with his players.

My main point is not where Johnson ranks per se as much as it is that it is way too early to make any kind of decision about CGC. It feels like most of the folks that are still highly loyal to CPJ are ready to send out CGC on a rail and that is why I brought up the win averages. If we were to make decisions based on the first few games of a coach, Bobby Dodd should have been fired year 1...on one season, CPJ should have been canned after his 3-9 season, etc, etc and we would have the largest payroll of not-coaches ever.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
So it looks like we’re relitigating this issue. The calculus is this: if you think we can be consistent 10-12 game winner, Johnson was likely not the coach for you (though he was damn close to that). I get that, and that’s fine with me. If you think the likelihood of us ever getting to that level is remote (as I do), then you look for something that maximizes your boom years. I think Johnson did that. The interesting thing about 2008 and 2009 is that with Chan we were mediocre with a handful of NFL players, but with Johnson we were #elite. This may show that it’s going to be difficult to get a critical mass of NFL guys to reach the level we all want, but you might think Chan just wasn’t the right game day coach to maximize the players he had. I also think the winning percentage in the absence of distribution is lacking. It comes down to personal preference, but I would prefer going 11-3 and then 3-9 to going 7-6 both seasons, and since I don’t think 11-3 every season is likely, I prefer the coach who gives me the 11 win season twice a decade to the one who never gives it to me. Can Collins do it? I don’t know, but the early returns aren’t great.

Augusta made a really good point earlier, though, that we may have needed to change our offense because the pool of people needed to coach it was smaller. I hadn’t thought of that, but that’s really smart. Maybe we didn’t have a choice.

I think the boards would agree that an 11-3 season is fun but they would never tolerate the 3-9 season, look at the vitrol for a 2 win (so far) coach playing with another person's players.

Not that it matters all that much since the real issue to discuss is how long Collins should coach... However, I disagree that Johnson was damn close to a consistent 10-12 game winner. In his 11 year tenure, 2-11 win seasons (I like that!), 2-9 game seasons (close to your range, good seasons for sure), 1-8 game season (not stellar but not bad), 3-7 game seasons (eh, kinda break even plus), and throw in 6 and 5 and 3 game seasons. So 4 seasons were in your range, 1 was close and the rest were not close. That doesn't make someone close to consistently 10-11 program. You can't say, if only this had not happened in that game etc, because we are not doing that for Collins. Given above, you had to be pretty disappointed that over half of the season were at or worse than the 7-6 season you mentioned you don't care much about.

Again, I go back to the fact that we are judging a coach on a handful of games like we are FSU or the like (which we are no longer) with someone else's players. We have "used" tight ends doing their best, we have a smaller than average line (I only included the size of the SEC/Clemson OL as an indicator to why their QB and running game has success). We can all complain about what we don't like about Collins and it is natural. I think he deserves a chance to get a few years of his players in to see what he can do. If he sucks it for several years, then we bite the bullet on his contract and try to find the next up and comer.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Of course, this poll closes Jan 16, 2020, so it will be a while...
Oh crap I only have 5 beers can I not buy any beer till the polls close ? I can't even vote cause it didn't register. My neighbor is a Miami fan can he buy beer for me ? Someone really needs to let us know ahead of time when we have to vote , no beer till the polls close is a killer.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's not that hard to figure out, given the length of contract, and how "rebuild" situations are generally handled (Yeah, I know some don't like to hear it, but that's how the AD sees it). Year one is a complete freebie. year 2, you expect to see progress. Year 3 is the start of judging the win-loss record.
I think we’re talking past each other. You’re saying what he will get; I am saying what he should get.

And it probably bears repeating, no one is saying he should go 10-2 next season. But it’s reasonable to expect progress.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Keep in mind if GT decides to fire Collins before year 5 GT is on the hook for 100% of the contract value.

That's even better.

Then, typical complainin' a** GT fans would be able to complain about paying the old coach, complain about paying the new coach, complain about the new coach, complain about the new coach not doing the old stuff the old coach did well, complain about the old coach not doing the new stuff the new coach does well, complain about firing the old coach since now we have to still pay him, complain about the other coaches we're still paying, complain about the AD, complain about the coaching search, complain about not hiring a "Tech man", complain, complain, complain ...

.. are y'all pickin' up what I'm puttin' down or need I go on?

Frickin' complainin' a**es.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the boards would agree that an 11-3 season is fun but they would never tolerate the 3-9 season, look at the vitrol for a 2 win (so far) coach playing with another person's players.

Not that it matters all that much since the real issue to discuss is how long Collins should coach... However, I disagree that Johnson was damn close to a consistent 10-12 game winner. In his 11 year tenure, 2-11 win seasons (I like that!), 2-9 game seasons (close to your range, good seasons for sure), 1-8 game season (not stellar but not bad), 3-7 game seasons (eh, kinda break even plus), and throw in 6 and 5 and 3 game seasons. So 4 seasons were in your range, 1 was close and the rest were not close. That doesn't make someone close to consistently 10-11 program. You can't say, if only this had not happened in that game etc, because we are not doing that for Collins. Given above, you had to be pretty disappointed that over half of the season were at or worse than the 7-6 season you mentioned you don't care much about.

Again, I go back to the fact that we are judging a coach on a handful of games like we are FSU or the like (which we are no longer) with someone else's players. We have "used" tight ends doing their best, we have a smaller than average line (I only included the size of the SEC/Clemson OL as an indicator to why their QB and running game has success). We can all complain about what we don't like about Collins and it is natural. I think he deserves a chance to get a few years of his players in to see what he can do. If he sucks it for several years, then we bite the bullet on his contract and try to find the next up and comer.
I mean, there’s a few things. First, I was speaking on a game-level basis. I’d be willing to do the same for Collins, but mostly we’ve been getting blasted every week. We’re not even competitive. As to Johnson’s record, I said it was a matter of personal preference if you would trade a 3 win season to get an 11 win season. I would. I would happily make that trade for Collins. If he goes 2-10 this season but gives me 11-2 in 2021, I’m fine with that. But you have to deliver the boom years. I think we are an average program at best, with some especially sh—ty fans. I don’t think we’re going 10-2 every year. Assuming that, do you prefer 7-5 every year or 7-5 three years, 4-8 one year and 10-2 another year over a five year span. I want the variance because the years we’re really good are fun. If you think we can win 10 games a season, I understand being disappointed by Johnson. What I don’t understand is the unyielding loyalty to Collins, who has done nothing so far and has given no indication that big seasons are on the horizon.

And really, I’d be super happy if we stopped analyzing how good a lineman is by his size. There’s not a shortage of 300 pounders out there. Freaking Toledo can get those guys. What there is a shortage of is big dudes who can drive block and dance like a ballerina. Maybe we’ll get our share of them. I sure hope so. But supplies are limited, and it might make sense to have a system that isn’t totally dependent upon having a couple of them. I mean, if FSU and Miami can’t recruit them, I’m not optimistic about our shot.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
What would be interesting would be if we listed our screen names related to how we voted. This would clear up our coach loyalty in post issues. 7 people want him gone now !
Is there anyone loyal to a coach? If so, I’d appreciate if they would go root for someone else, which shouldn’t be a problem since they’re not loyal to the team. I root for the Jackets and couldn’t give a rip who the coach is.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I said two years, but that's because I didn't see 2.5. If Tech wins 2 - 3 games next year (likely, imho, though not really Collins's fault), and we start bad in 2021, then I expect he'll be gone. That's what we did with Bill Lewis, though who we would get to take over is a query.

But … maybe we'll win 4 next year and start well. If so he'll get until the end of the 2012 season and we'll see what happens. It is up to Collins. Tech really improves or he's gone.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He will get 5 years no matter what as long as this AD is still on the job. ( sorry to those who want him gone) From that point for him to still be here the last 2 years he will need to beat uga once the first 5 years ( sorry to those who want him ) if not he may get year 6 but the big money guys will turn on him after losing to uga 5 years. ( history )

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I mean, there’s a few things. First, I was speaking on a game-level basis. I’d be willing to do the same for Collins, but mostly we’ve been getting blasted every week. We’re not even competitive. As to Johnson’s record, I said it was a matter of personal preference if you would trade a 3 win season to get an 11 win season. I would. I would happily make that trade for Collins. If he goes 2-10 this season but gives me 11-2 in 2021, I’m fine with that. But you have to deliver the boom years. I think we are an average program at best, with some especially sh—ty fans. I don’t think we’re going 10-2 every year. Assuming that, do you prefer 7-5 every year or 7-5 three years, 4-8 one year and 10-2 another year over a five year span. I want the variance because the years we’re really good are fun. If you think we can win 10 games a season, I understand being disappointed by Johnson. What I don’t understand is the unyielding loyalty to Collins, who has done nothing so far and has given no indication that big seasons are on the horizon.

And really, I’d be super happy if we stopped analyzing how good a lineman is by his size. There’s not a shortage of 300 pounders out there. Freaking Toledo can get those guys. What there is a shortage of is big dudes who can drive block and dance like a ballerina. Maybe we’ll get our share of them. I sure hope so. But supplies are limited, and it might make sense to have a system that isn’t totally dependent upon having a couple of them. I mean, if FSU and Miami can’t recruit them, I’m not optimistic about our shot.
THIS. As well as the need for those same people to constantly try to tear down CPJ in order to make Collins look better. Then top it off with this mystic belief that recruiting ranking is the be all to end all.

Animal02

Banned
He will get 5 years no matter what as long as this AD is still on the job. ( sorry to those who want him gone) From that point for him to still be here the last 2 years he will need to beat uga once the first 5 years ( sorry to those who want him ) if not he may get year 6 but the big money guys will turn on him after losing to uga 5 years. ( history )
I disagree. Yes he will get 5 if he shows some competitiveness and gets to .500 or real close in year three. Two more years of the product he put on the field this year and if TStan doesn't can him, they will have the pitchforks out coming for him.