Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Leaving emotion out of this and looking at it pragmatically, I don't see any way CGC is let go before year 5 at the absolute earliest. Several reasons for this:

1. The buyout is steep and we aren't in great financial shape.
2. It was always known that this transition would be painful. TStan will give him a real chance to right the ship.
3. Every other future coach is watching this transition. If we don't give CGC time to correct, it will hurt our chances with future hires.
4. Progress in recruiting so far is nothing short of phenomenal. It was expected that we would improve once we started recruiting for a more "normal" offense, but I don't think anyone reasonably predicted the chance we could end up top 20. (I still think 23-28 range but top 20 is in play atm)

If we continue to recruit well for several years, and we quit getting demolished by the better teams on our schedule, I am sure that TStan will give CGC room to maneuver. IMO, I think between 4-6 wins next year and 5-8 wins in 2021 are very possible, and we need to expect that we will win in 2021 & 2022. If we fall short on some fluke plays similar to several of our recent games against Pitt & Miami with CPJ, then I think we can extend grace. If we lose to VT like we did this year in 2021 then I think there will be some heat applied. As long as progress is being made, I see 4-5 years as a minimum.
5 wins in 2021 is a fail. 8 means we are getting legit and he will likely get an extension in 2022 if we maintain 7 at a min. 2023 should be a 9 win season, if in fact we made the right hire.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a crazy thread. Some are saying we can't get rid of CGC because we can't afford the buyout, others are saying we can easily double is salary if we wanted to.
It all depends on the deep pocket donors. In my opinion, "selling" paying a loser not to coach is a harder sell for Todd than "selling" paying a winner more to coach.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The coastal is full of teams that are basically even. The team that usually wins it has 2 things to point to - 1) stellar playmaking QB (this year it was Perkins at UVA), and 2) wins the close ACC games and turnover battle.

If, however, GT’s recruiting continues to take steps forward then we’ll get to the point of having more room for error. Our defense is gonna be loaded with talent and as much as we whine about Patenude we should be praising Thacker. Our defense will win us a lot of games. I was thoroughly impressed with our defense who was massively depleted up front. Our offense was historically bad but having no QB and a depleted OLine will do that. We will be muuuuuch I proved on offense next year.
I agree, I like the coaches on defense. I should have been more clear earlier I am concerned about P-nut in general and CGC's in game decision making. I also like the job our O-line coach did as well as the running backs coach.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree, I like the coaches on defense. I should have been more clear earlier I am concerned about P-nut in general and CGC's in game decision making. I also like the job our O-line coach did as well as the running backs coach.

I may like Thacker, but the defense ranked next to last in the ACC. http://theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2019 Not much better than the offense which ranked last.

We may like the coaches, but the stats do not paint a pretty picture.

Lots of room for improvement.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok, here's a hypothetical.

CGC starts out 3-9. Let's say each of his next six seasons (the length of his contract) are the following:

5-7
9-3
10-2
8-4
8-4
5-7

Do you keep him or not?

Ok, here’s the punchline to this little hypothetical. The record above is basically Bobby Dodd’s first six seasons as coach, adjusted to a 12 game schedule.

Food for thought.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I may like Thacker, but the defense ranked next to last in the ACC. http://theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2019 Not much better than the offense which ranked last.

I would like to see these stat totals with Clemson factored out for the teams that played them. That would give a better idea of where we stood with the opponents we’ll be competing with. I would also like to see how many possessions each team defended. I may be wrong, but I definitely think GT had to defend more possessions overall, and more starting at the opponents 40 and inside than anyone else in the conference. The offense basically provided no help for the D.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

As the above stated, all our numbers are skewed because we totally sucked on offense which caused us to punt at near record levels. No defense can overcome giving teams as many possessions as we did. That’s the beauty of sports, especially football. Every part of the team effects another part. Basketball isn’t like that. Give the ball to your stud and get out of the way. Baseball isn’t like that. But football is a total team sport. In my opinion our issue two fold - no QB and an injury riddled offensive line. We started to make strides with Graham and the OLine got better, but towards the end we ran into a VT team that was rolling and a UGA team that is loaded. I really expect one of the two freshmen QB’s to take the reins. If we simply cut the 3 and out by the offense by 30% the defensive numbers will start to look a lot better. We simply could not get first downs the entire season.

Deleted member 2897

A big reason our defense ranked at the bottom is because our offense did. Our offense averaged 12 points a game in regulation against FBS teams. Harvin punted 13 times against Georgia. How would ANY team do on defense if you played the entire game on the field? Not to mention all the injuries. We lost something like 6 guys on the defense this year for the season.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We are still going to struggle on DEf as long as we don't have two real 300lb ROCKS in the middle to stop the easy rush. That will allow DEs and LBs to roam,which then helps DBs on passes.If we get them sooner we will get back to a bowl sooner.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We are still going to struggle on DEf as long as we don't have two real 300lb ROCKS in the middle to stop the easy rush. That will allow DEs and LBs to roam,which then helps DBs on passes.If we get them sooner we will get back to a bowl sooner.
This! Only caveat I'd add, is that we need 4 to have 2 fresh ones at a time and to account for injuries. Even with an impressive class coming in, we have few true DTs among them. It would really help if Jones comes on board. Stackhouse and others who were priorities no longer seem to be likely.