Poll: What do you hope to see next season?

Which would you honestly prefer to see next season?

• Total voters

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, I'm greatly encouraged (and a little bit surprised) by the results, so far. Given all the negative talk, I really expected a lot more "fire CGC at all costs" sentiment.

I feel better. :)
But it's a loaded question. You can't choose firing without choosing Tech continuing to lose. You left out, "Tech has a good season and CGC is not retained".

I understand why you left that off, but I think only Dog posers or outright miserables would choose the Tech losing option. So far 4.7% have chosen that and I would guess that corresponds to the percentage of doggie saboteurs and misanthropes on this board.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with this for a variety of reasons:

1. These players want to WIN more than anything else. No player wants to actively go out on the field and lose a game. Especially after the past 3 years.

2. The players seem to love CGC. They all talk about how he and his staff are family and really feel close to one another. Now, that hasn’t translated to wins, but the culture and bonds are there.

3. Any player that would scheme to throw games and intentionally try to get a coach removed would probably get their scholarship revoked and kicked off the team. That’s a toxic culture, and that’s just a bad idea.
Good. That's what I thought, but I'm a "what if" guy. Never leave an option unexamined. ;)

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
But it's a loaded question. You can't choose firing without choosing Tech continuing to lose. You left out, "Tech has a good season and CGC is not retained".

I understand why you left that off, but I think only Dog posers or outright miserables would choose the Tech losing option. So far 4.7% have chosen that and I would guess that corresponds to the percentage of doggie saboteurs and misanthropes on this board.
I understand. I left out that option intentionally in order to draw out the truly negative Nellies. Happily, there are fewer of those than I suspected.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Wins and improvement, the coaching will work itself out. Maybe we can trend the program up and our new staff can turn things around. If not I hope to see a well thought out hire.

Jmonty71

Banned
5 is the decision point. Less than this definitely gone, greater definitely here. The decision at 5 depends on how good/ bad we look in losses and, more importantly, how recruiting is stacking up.
I agree. 5 is the cut-off with me too. However; it matters who we lose to. If we lose to Western Carolina, than that's it for me. End of story. Nothing will save him, other than a bowl apperance. That's if, he doesn't get fired after the Western Carolina game. Sad part? I cannot say 100% that we will beat Western Carolina. I wished I could... I really wished I could. But, we do have to recognize, next year is a rough schedule. It's going to be one of the top 10 toughest...

Jmonty71

Banned
I guess my question is..... who really wants us to lose, just to fire Collins??? You hate him THAT much??? I get it... He isn't the best. However; I cannot root against the team, just to out a coach.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
What I would like to see is our team become competitive against stronger teams, win 7 games and the fans return. So far Collins hasn't achieved none of that. I admit I'm bitter. I hope Stansbury and Collins can turn this mess around. I'd like to wear my Tech football shirts around in public without smart comments being made.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I would just like to walk in the stadium thinking we had a chance to win. I wasn't even sure we could beat Duke last year and barely did.
As someone who went to that game, I felt good for the first 5 minutes and the last 10 seconds of that game. The other 54 minutes and 50 seconds were unnerving and anxiety ridden

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who went to that game, I felt good for the first 5 minutes and the last 10 seconds of that game. The other 54 minutes and 50 seconds were unnerving and anxiety ridden
I was there. That was not a clash of the titans. We won because of three great plays by us and a stocking full of presents from Duke. Otherwise it was dreadful football. I grew up watching Div 1-AA and NAIA games in upstate SC and Western NC and that was the NFL compared to that game.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope to be able to visit a "fan" message board and not see every single thread not devolve into past coaches vs current coaches, and 500 page threads about wearing socks or not, skinny jeans, hair styles, or avatars of the coach with a clown nose.

No idea what that means in terms of wins/losses. I suspect that will never happen at GT though.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hope is not a plan. Collins needs to lay out a plan , with all the coaches to get better and to win a minimum of 7 games this season. If that doesn't happen he is let go. The remaining coaches are on their own.
This is a fan board. Fans don't do ANYTHING more than cheer and hope. They have no input on what happens on the field or in the meeting rooms. So, "hope" is absolutely appropriate here. NO ONE on this board is going to get to see a laid-out plan by any coach, anywhere.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
6 wins plus a killer recruiting class would certainly tilt the scale in CGCs favor
no it wouldn't.
six wins in a crap ACC coastal with four brand new coaching staffs? And 2020 was a "killer" recruiting class. We've gone backwards since then.
Talent accrual that doesn't add up to wins just means a talented yet disappointing team.
Miami and FSU have had good to great recruiting, by the rankings. And they really aren't very good.
It boils down to wins. Period. He will be judged on wins and wins primarily. Another metric? Fans in the stands. If he can field a team that draws people to watch, that might help. But if the attendance doesn't improve, that's a sign to the AD and The Hill that the fans have washed their hands.

As much I wish Collins to be gone, I went to NIU, Pitt, BC, UNC and UGa games this year. I generally miss one, maybe two, home games a year. But I go. I support the players. I want them to do well. In spite of their coaching.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
no it wouldn't.
six wins in a crap ACC coastal with four brand new coaching staffs? And 2020 was a "killer" recruiting class. We've gone backwards since then.
Talent accrual that doesn't add up to wins just means a talented yet disappointing team.
Miami and FSU have had good to great recruiting, by the rankings. And they really aren't very good.
It boils down to wins. Period. He will be judged on wins and wins primarily. Another metric? Fans in the stands. If he can field a team that draws people to watch, that might help. But if the attendance doesn't improve, that's a sign to the AD and The Hill that the fans have washed their hands.

As much I wish Collins to be gone, I went to NIU, Pitt, BC, UNC and UGa games this year. I generally miss one, maybe two, home games a year. But I go. I support the players. I want them to do well. In spite of their coaching.
We shall see…

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd will be a ghost town next season. You can’t treat your customers poorly and sell a bad product and expect them to come back. It’s up to the coaches and players to perform to get the fans back. If they actually coach and circle the wagons to become a tough team then 2023 should see an upswing. But for 2022, the die was cast in those last 2 games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
no it wouldn't.
six wins in a crap ACC coastal with four brand new coaching staffs? And 2020 was a "killer" recruiting class. I think we've gone backwards since then.
Talent accrual that doesn't add up to wins I think it just means a talented yet disappointing team.
It boils down to wins. Period. I will judge him on wins and wins primarily. Another metric? Fans in the stands. If he can field a team that draws people to watch, that might help. But if the attendance doesn't improve, that's a sign to me that the fans have washed their hands.

I helped you a little. I know it doesn't reflect what you wanted to say, but I think it better reflects reality. Just my opinion.

We don't really know whether it will be a crap ACC Coastal until next year. A whole lot of movement through the portal can change a bunch. Personally, I want them to be strong and for us to still beat them.

Last edited: