[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Milwaukee, are you just trying to piss off all the alums here speaking like a know it all? .

He is such an angry person. He seldom has much to contribute. I put him on ignore a long time ago so I did not have to read his venom.

I really wish we had the majority of our fans as sidewalk fans. I attended Tech and got to be here for the 1990 year. Some of the best fans I have met are sidewalk fans. Or generational fans, where the family has been Tech fans for generations.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Grew up in south Atlanta. My grandmothers house was on State street ( now part of campus). Father did not attend college ( post WWII ), but was a rabid gt fan of both athletics and academics. Therefore , I attended via coop program and am a 73 I E graduate.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm in college now and only applied to 3 schools (Tech was one) and was accepted to all of them. I decided not to attend Tech and attend North Georgia because it's a hell of a lot cheaper and they offer the degree that I want which Tech doesn't. When recruits complain about not having degree options, that's a real thing.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm in college now and only applied to 3 schools (Tech was one) and was accepted to all of them. I decided not to attend Tech and attend North Georgia because it's a hell of a lot cheaper and they offer the degree that I want which Tech doesn't. When recruits complain about not having degree options, that's a real thing.

I totally understand. My oldest son was accepted to GT but declined due to lack of majors/limited curriculum. Yet he remains a die hard GT fan.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Did not attend. Been a fan since 1980’s, but tech was not best choice for law school prep and back in the mid 90’s, tech had few women, and that was important to me... I am also fed up with the thought tech grads are smarter. I ain’t no dummy

I’m glad to see 40% (so far) Did Not Attend. I’m thankful that that many folks choose to be fans of GT. My kind of people. You don’t choose the easy route. You have some backbone.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m surprised at the many of non-attendees on here. Bravo to you all!

As @GT_05 said, we need fans in the stands and I really don’t care where they come from. A GT fan to me is a better person than a factory fan & certainly much better than a barking mutt fan. Where are they today?

GT alumni are generally very smart, but we don’t own the universe on smarts. There are smart people that went everywhere, even smart people that did not go to college. What generally separates GT alumni from others is the combination of intelligence & drive, again just a much higher percentage possess this. GT alumni are more willing to get abused and keep on going.

In my career I’ve seen thousands of despicable incidents towards people that were perceived to be “beneath them”. Codels referring to junior military members as if they were their foot servants or worse, senior Executives making disparaging comments about workers that provided their precious salaries & gave them their bonuses, extremely high ranking government officials demeaning nearly everyone below them as if people had no worth. You see it everywhere from your country clubs, in stores, at your kid’s sporting events, even at your churches & at every level of success. Engineers, and not just GT Engineers, are the absolute worst except for maybe women in high positions of power.

At GT in athletics we use it as a crutch. The Institute and its alumni celebrate this. It is a fact that many are not eligible to attend, but we’ve got to figure out how to win on our terms. There are good athletes that are smart enough to attend GT, we can coach them up given superior resources & school them up to compete efffectively. Why we can never get over the mental hump that it’s impossible to do these things is beyond me other than we lack desire. A single coach or even a coaching staff can not do this alone. It’s a complete Institute change that’s required, from the top down. I sincerely hope Stansbury is the guy that can drive this change.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
OldJacketFan, I agree with you. I'm a grad but all of my other fan buddies didn't happen to go to Tech. A fan is a fan is a fan. My son goes there now but just isn't interested in football (through no lack of effort on my part.) He'll watch, and understands well enough, but he's got a lot going on in his life that he values more and I respect that. I just wish more on this board understood that as well, as there seems to be this mentality of "But of course football is the most important thing after family. Anyone who doesn't get that is a loser." It creates this us vs them mentality that is exactly why (I suspect) this thread pisses you off. It makes two groups out of what should be one.

I'm glad you are a fan!

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
Glad to see all the Nos on here, we need to continue building our fan base by engaging folks regardless of if they went to school at GT. Have to tip the cap to those who have been fans over the years because GT has not always made it easy lol. Todd seems to get it so things will get better IMO for every fan of GT athletics (Alumni or non Alumni).

I went to Georgia Tech because my grandfather (who didn't finish middle school) was always a huge GT fan in both athletics and academics. I was legitimately shocked they accepted me...had been so sure I wasn't getting in that I had already given deposit money to another school. I ended up graduating with an Ivan Allen degree from GT and it has worked out great so far. I will mention that some of our Alumni turn folks off by acting like engineering is the only way to success.....plenty of other ways to succeed in life there is no shame in riding the M train or IAC at GT.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Glad to see all the Nos on here, we need to continue building our fan base by engaging folks regardless of if they went to school at GT. Have to tip the cap to those who have been fans over the years because GT has not always made it easy lol. Todd seems to get it so things will get better IMO for every fan of GT athletics (Alumni or non Alumni).

I went to Georgia Tech because my grandfather (who didn't finish middle school) was always a huge GT fan in both athletics and academics. I was legitimately shocked they accepted me...had been so sure I wasn't getting in that I had already given deposit money to another school. I ended up graduating with an Ivan Allen degree from GT and it has worked out great so far. I will mention that some of our Alumni turn folks off by acting like engineering is the only way to success.....plenty of other ways to succeed in life there is no shame in riding the M train or IAC at GT.
The Business School is only ranked Top 25 & it’s probably only that low because of the relative newness of many of the changes. Another decade from now that program will be borderline Top 10. You can’t hide in the M train either.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I ended up graduating with an Ivan Allen degree from GT and it has worked out great so far. I will mention that some of our Alumni turn folks off by acting like engineering is the only way to success.....plenty of other ways to succeed in life there is no shame in riding the M train or IAC at GT.

I agree with this point. We have a few people that overreact when a kid picks large State U over GT. The implied assumption is that they will end up living homeless and under a bridge. But I have lived in several states since leaving Tech. And I have lived in neighborhoods with people that attended schools that I have never heard of or dismissed by some of us as "bad schools" or never even went to college, belonged to private golf courses with the same people,etc. So I have to assume that they are doing as well or better financially and in their careers as I am. I also assume this to be the case for all my fellow engineering alums. I have never understood why some of them choose to overlook the data. If you have a work ethic and a desire to succeed, you will no matter where you did (or did not) attend college.