Points Per Game

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the points against and points for through the years.

• Can you imagine having the D from 2002 to 2007 during the CPJ years?
  • Tevin's offense years don't look so bad
  • The O has fallen back a little...
  • Can you see how the D really counts in games?
  • What is the difference between Groh/Roof and Woody?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Here are the points against and points for through the years.

• Can you imagine having the D from 2002 to 2007 during the CPJ years?
  • Tevin's offense years don't look so bad
  • The O has fallen back a little...
  • Can you see how the D really counts in games?
  • What is the difference between Groh/Roof and Woody?

I think the D ends the year around 22 ppg and the O around 33

Matt E

GT Athlete
I don’t know the exact stats, but in 14 the O #s as an outlier had to do with 2 things:

1. Explosive plays- it seemed we led the country in plays greater than 30 yards.
2. We generated a lot more turnovers on D. The last two years the O production numbers have to be somewhat effected by this

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
14 had the highest turnover margin (in our favor) by along ways! I wonder why it did not lower the defense points per game?

Matt E

GT Athlete
14 had the highest turnover margin (in our favor) by along ways! I wonder why it did not lower the defense points per game?

We had turnovers in bunches the last 5 games if I recall. The first half of the season we gave up a ridiculous amount of points if I’m remembering correctly . Even despite the turnovers, we still weren’t very good on D. Didn’t we set a record for most yards given up in an Orange Bowl?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this will hold true in 2018... if they score less, the O will score more. I’ll call 1.3 points more for every point less compared to 2017... if you can figure out what I mean :)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Iurc
In 14 in last half of year we ran Erin Joe and shamire in 3 rd and 4th quarters w in th great success. With our offense scoring quickly, our BBC end b oh t dknt break AND NEVER SUBSTITUTE DEFENSE ran out if gas.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When we talk about all the issues around GT and recruiting, I am always perplexed by why we over the last 3 decades have managed to be really good to great on one side of the ball and the complete opposite on the other. From GOL to CCG to CPJ. I don't think that we funnel our best athletes to one side over the other (or do we?). My theory is we have not been able to put together the right coaching staff like Coach Ross did.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The offense needs to be back about 30 pts for this to be a special year. I think they have a shot to do that, but have to figure out a way to hit pay dirt against Clemson and uga to do it. I think the D can get it down a few points this year. Watching the App St. D under Woody was a thing of beauty. We will stumble at times, but I think they will be better.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you also have to take college football into account when considering this. There was a significant style change and shift in offenses from the 2000's to the teens.

I do think we had more talent on defense, especially on D-line. But I bet if I can find some stats it will show that overall offensive production is up across college football. A defense that averages 20 ppg means more now than it did 15 years ago.

Edited to add:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...age-increases-to-highest-ever-in-2016-season/

Last edited:

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll say the college game is a bit different than it was in the early 00s. More people running spread vs NFL-lite offenses. Rich-Rod and Chip Kelly were the main guys, with Malzahn being another early adopter. More points and more plays are going on in a typical college game.

That being said, I think we've underperformed on D for a while, especially with the time on the field they typically have. We've had 3-4 NFL guys on the field, and still been in the 50s-90s on team defense.

I'm really hoping Woody is the fix. There is little excuse for the mediocre defenses we've had over the years. I don't think we've had worse talent with CPJ than we had with Gailey/Oleary. I'm thinking we haven't put them in places to shine.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys think we'll average more possessions per game this year thanks to our aggressive new D? That has to result in a higher scoring average. I just hope it doesn't cause a higher points against average as well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys think we'll average more possessions per game this year thanks to our aggressive new D? That has to result in a higher scoring average. I just hope it doesn't cause a higher points against average as well.
I think we will get more offensive possessions for sure. The TBD is whether we give up a ton of big play TD's...