Pnode to ODU as OC

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I always thought Patenaude was doing pretty much what Collins told him to. His offenses before he came to Temple were very run oriented and pretty successful. But then he switched to a more pass oriented, "balanced" offense. I think this was done more for recruiting purposes then anything else; both Temple and (God knoweth) Tech had very run heavy offenses before Collins and Patenaude arrived. The results are, I think, self-evident. I'd be surprised if ODU doesn't suddenly develop serious running chops next year.

But … I'll admit that this is sheer speculation. Could be he was just overmatched in P5 contexts.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I always thought Patenaude was doing pretty much what Collins told him to. His offenses before he came to Temple were very run oriented and pretty successful. But then he switched to a more pass oriented, "balanced" offense. I think this was done more for recruiting purposes then anything else; both Temple and (God knoweth) Tech had very run heavy offenses before Collins and Patenaude arrived. The results are, I think, self-evident. I'd be surprised if ODU doesn't suddenly develop serious running chops next year.

But … I'll admit that this is sheer speculation. Could be he was just overmatched in P5 contexts.
I've never really understood this. He has stiffer competition, but he also (supposedly) should have better players.
Some may look at this as a dumb question (and it may be), but what would be the difference between running an offense in P5 as opposed to G5? Isn't it the same game, but just on a slightly different scale?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I was in the minority that thought he wasn't at all a negative for the program. I think he has good football IQ and designed really good opening drive scripts. He did struggle as the game went on and whenever we reached the RZ, but I think that was more due to the lack of ability of our OL than his playcalling/designs.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I've never really understood this. He has stiffer competition, but he also (supposedly) should have better players.
Some may look at this as a dumb question (and it may be), but what would be the difference between running an offense in P5 as opposed to G5? Isn't it the same game, but just on a slightly different scale?
I would imagine it's mostly in game adjustments. It wasn't abnormal for our offense to just disappear for long stretches in the middle of games. The higher you go up the ladder the harder the chess match is.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess I was in the minority that thought he wasn't at all a negative for the program. I think he has good football IQ and designed really good opening drive scripts. He did struggle as the game went on and whenever we reached the RZ, but I think that was more due to the lack of ability of our OL than his playcalling/designs.

I thought Patenaude wasn't as bad as some GT fans thought. I also think he could have called a different game with guys like Sims/Yates/Graham...games more similar to the UNC game.

CGC is a defensive guy. He's had to study and coach against all kinds of offenses...especially coaching at places like Florida/Miss State/Alabama. He's a lot of things, but I don't think he's dumb. He can probably look at offensive tape on OCs and tell you what schemes and concepts that are sound and problems to deal with as a DC. Given the offenses Patenaude ran before he was OC for CGC, you would think guys like Sims/Yates/Graham were close to perfect for those offenses.

I think Patenaude will do well at ODU. I think he got the short end here...wish him the best. Will be interesting to see how the ODU offense will develop next season.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Being a GT alum AND an ODU.......just my luck...Maybe I will hit a game at SB Ballard stadium in Norfolk and wear my GT gear...
Id stick out like a ruby in a goats butt😂😂
I honestly think when hes not being instructed he must be balanced and run nfl plays you'll see a better coach p. My issues with him came from him being to much of a yes man