Players losing trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
JD is just saying what many other GT fans are saying. It is time for CPJ to take some bold steps to salvage his legacy as a coach. And I am not talking about hiring a new line coach or throwing in diamond or pistol formations about five times a game. I mean evaluate every facet of this program and scrap the things that don't work.

I am sure his isn't concerned about his job, or his financial situation as he is probably set for life. But, like all people in high-powered, high profile positions like his, he IS concerned with how he will be remembered as a coach (IMHO). If we keep doing the same things we've done for the past four years (recruiting, play-calling, etc.) we are going to continue to be 7-6. And Johnson will be disgraced by being fired.

Just to be clear - I don't like Paul Johnson. I don't like his arrogant demeanor, his coaching style, his stubbornness, or his offense. But believe it or not, I am rooting for the guy. Even though I want him to be fired, I know it will not happen this year. If he is going to be here another season, he might as well win, and win big! Let 2014 be the year we get revenge on VT, Miami, and the mutts. If he does that, he will be signed to a long term contract and very few on this board will complain - even the CPJ haters like me!

We will never compete with a team like the 2013 version of FSU, but there is not a single other team in the ACC that I am scared of - and that includes Klimpson. The ACC is a weak conference that is easy pickins' for 8 or 9 win seasons every year. And Ibelieve CPJ CAN guide GT to those type of seasons. I just not sure he will make the necessary changes to be that kind of coach.

CPJ can keep winning 7 games a year and go to a meaningless bowl game and the hill will keep him as long as this continues........The Tech football team produced its highest APR to date with a score of 974. The previous high was 967 from the 2008-09 APR score. http://www.news.gatech.edu/hg/item/136911

Just look at his contract......the incentives.....i.e bonus money are more about academic progress and graduation than being ranked. Tech is getting exactly what they asked for.

Dirty Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
What is cryptic about what Dwyer is saying? He has been very vocal speaking out against Paul Johnson. If you consider that message "cryptic", then consider the link he posted on my wall of top assistant coaches in college football who he thinks should be considered to replace Paul Johnson. I'm still trying to decipher what that meant.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
It is true. I talk to quite a few current and former players and they are divided. I heard from a player that at least one starter is leaving the team.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
CPJ can keep winning 7 games a year and go to a meaningless bowl game and the hill will keep him as long as this continues........The Tech football team produced its highest APR to date with a score of 974. The previous high was 967 from the 2008-09 APR score. http://www.news.gatech.edu/hg/item/136911

Just look at his contract......the incentives.....i.e bonus money are more about academic progress and graduation than being ranked. Tech is getting exactly what they asked for.

On a certain level, it is sad. On another level, that is the academic side, it is very good news.

Ohhh the tribulations of being a GT fan.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I haven't met a GT football alum that like CPJ now my sample size isn't great but I do interact with many of them regularly.

Now what Bostic posted is probably shared in the locker room, but if he has gotten this frustrated to be that vocal about it then there is most likely a real problem.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
From people at GT, the atmosphere is toxic. One coach might leave, but not the one we all hope leaves.

Matt E

GT Athlete
It would certainly be a big back eye if our starting quarterback or some other high profile player leaves the program.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't want to say dville. Good player, though. There is a divide amongst the team and I feel it will only get bigger (I hope it doesn't because I love GT football).

PJ needs to make changes and it starts when he looks in the mirror.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
To be honest I couldnt believe Bostic singed at Tech.He was maybe 155 and skinny build in HS and he had speed but accordi
I'm sure BJ would disagree, but obviously the coaching staff thought they had the best players in to give us the best chance to win. If you don't earn your starting position during practice then they shouldn't whine about it.
Hope next year he (they) can take it to the next level and play productively.
Well not to give excuses but BJ played fair amount last year and first of this year..he got dinged some but folks remember he never sat on the bench in HS and certainly will rue the day when he types his disgust for the program.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Yep guess the Hill is satisfied but not..........some fans who like winning more than seven and losing to Georgie etc.he has done them proud at the Hill .

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I haven't met a GT football alum that like CPJ now my sample size isn't great but I do interact with many of them regularly.

Now what Bostic posted is probably shared in the locker room, but if he has gotten this frustrated to be that vocal about it then there is most likely a real problem.
You may be right something may stink in Denmark .I see some signs that this is what happened a few years ago when we won six..Now could be totally wrong but we dont look all that happy playing football at GT.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly don't know how PJ is behind closed doors with the players, I'm sure he's not quite the arrogant *** he comes off as on the sidelines during games or during media sessions, but I can see him still being an *** at times to the players.

He does seem to have a doghouse/favoritism factor about him though. Some players mess up once and you never see them again, others seem to do bonehead stuff a lot and still play all the time.

One of the biggest things I see in him now is that frustration is getting the best of him. I think he knows the offense isn't working without the athletes / gAme changers he had and all the people who have said "your offense wouldn't work in big boy leagues" are now having some room to say it and have evidence to back it up. Which is why I think he's been trying to give a crAp on recruiting now where he was really slack to begin with.

Where the problem lies with PJ is that I don't think he has a charismatic enough personality to recruit the kids we need here, as everyone knows it's hard to bring kids to tech for a variety of reasons and you really need a good salesmen to get them here and PJ just isn't that type. He fits at places like navy and southern because he isn't fighting for the same players against Uga,bAma,Clemson,fsu etc where you gotta put in a lot of effort, combine that with lack of winning/our offense, hard to sale.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
I honestly don't know how PJ is behind closed doors with the players, I'm sure he's not quite the arrogant *** he comes off as on the sidelines during games or during media sessions, but I can see him still being an *** at times to the players.

He does seem to have a doghouse/favoritism factor about him though. Some players mess up once and you never see them again, others seem to do bonehead stuff a lot and still play all the time.

One of the biggest things I see in him now is that frustration is getting the best of him. I think he knows the offense isn't working without the athletes / gAme changers he had and all the people who have said "your offense wouldn't work in big boy leagues" are now having some room to say it and have evidence to back it up. Which is why I think he's been trying to give a crAp on recruiting now where he was really slack to begin with.

Where the problem lies with PJ is that I don't think he has a charismatic enough personality to recruit the kids we need here, as everyone knows it's hard to bring kids to tech for a variety of reasons and you really need a good salesmen to get them here and PJ just isn't that type. He fits at places like navy and southern because he isn't fighting for the same players against Uga,bAma,Clemson,fsu etc where you gotta put in a lot of effort, combine that with lack of winning/our offense, hard to sale.

You nailed it in that last paragraph. Not a good fit at Tech IMO

Matt E

GT Athlete

+1

I would venture to guess that PJ is much softer than we think. His public persona is one thing but his teams don't see to play with an edge or a nastiness. Could you EVER forsee George O'Leary bringing a freaking ice cream truck onto the practice field during camp? Further illustrates that potentially he is softer on the guys than he appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.