Players choice

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Finally got a chance to listen to the coaches show this year, which was very good. Thanks to @Longestday insightful question, I got some info that didn’t know. Many have been asking for some adjustments and some evolving with our pass pro. Last night, we learned not only it’s at the discretion of players whether to cut block or not, but we learned last night that the OLineman are allowed to get in a 2 pt stance, IF THEY WANT TO. The questions remain: why won’t they do it? Creatures of habit? Uncomfortable?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Finally got a chance to listen to the coaches show this year, which was very good. Thanks to @Longestday insightful question, I got some info that didn’t know. Many have been asking for some adjustments and some evolving with our pass pro. Last night, we learned not only it’s at the discretion of players whether to cut block or not, but we learned last night that the OLineman are allowed to get in a 2 pt stance, IF THEY WANT TO. The questions remain: why won’t they do it? Creatures of habit? Uncomfortable?
Yea, we need to start drive blocking on the perimeter some with our A backs. I've seen many times a player get cut but still make a play because he was able to recover and the pitch had not been made yet. You can make a good cut block and a guy not be taken down but him still make the tackle if the play is slower developing. I also think if the guys mixed it up more with cut and drive blocks it would be more effective.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed hearing @Longestday as well.
Hoping we can ban Jim from Auburn.
Some of the other morons calling in should cease as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yea, we need to start drive blocking on the perimeter some with our A backs. I've seen many times a player get cut but still make a play because he was able to recover and the pitch had not been made yet. You can make a good cut block and a guy not be taken down but him still make the tackle if the play is slower developing. I also think if the guys mixed it up more with cut and drive blocks it would be more effective.
In 14 When made our run, coach had been playing erin joe at rt . He added Shamire late in games and went to power blocking. Chamberlain was about 290 plus, shamire 370, center was 300++, Shaq godlike, Erin Joe 330 = we were massive .
During those late drives the ol would drive block into a cut block - beautiful.
Shaq would generally block like he was pushing a grocery cart and never leave his feet.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

As Roddy said when he did sideline a couple weeks ago, they stay in 3pt to try and keep the D option sound. If they went into 2pt, it would remove any doubt about whether we were passing. I'm not saying it's the right decision, just saying that probably answers your "why" question.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d just be curious how often they actually practice run blocking out of a 2pt stance. I’ll have to re-listen to what CPJ said but it sounded like they were using it primarily during 2 min or 1 min offense practice.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
As Roddy said when he did sideline a couple weeks ago, they stay in 3pt to try and keep the D option sound. If they went into 2pt, it would remove any doubt about whether we were passing. I'm not saying it's the right decision, just saying that probably answers your "why" question.

That’s why I laugh when I hear “obvious passing downs” bc there is no such thing to CPJ, but it was interesting to hear that if the lineman wanted to they could

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
In 14 When made our run, coach had been playing erin joe at rt . He added Shamire late in games and went to power blocking. Chamberlain was about 290 plus, shamire 370, center was 300++, Shaq godlike, Erin Joe 330 = we were massive .
During those late drives the ol would drive block into a cut block - beautiful.
Shaq would generally block like he was pushing a grocery cart and never leave his feet.

No doubt about it. Look at some of the 2014 drives vs ugag. Drove those aholes back like they were on skates.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d just be curious how often they actually practice run blocking out of a 2pt stance. I’ll have to re-listen to what CPJ said but it sounded like they were using it primarily during 2 min or 1 min offense practice.

Agree with this. The way that I heard it is that during the 1 or 2 minute type of offense they have the option. I don't think that applies all the time, but I could be easily misinterpreting what was said.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd love to see a combo of drive blocks and cut blocks by the ABacks. Why? Deon Hill. When we played USC in the Sun Bowl, Deon Hill went to block the LB on a play. The LB was expecting a cut block and was leaning forward ready to defeat it when Hill came in with a drive block. The LB was totally offbalance and unprepared and got absolutely demolished in one of the most epic blocks I've seen.

Anyone have that gif? @Longestday ?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Then sprinkle in plays running with 2pt etc

Teams do this all the time not rocket science. So for me its an easy fix or tweak.

I also find it hard to believe each play a player can determine 2pt or 3pt. It was never like that in past offenses.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One of the considerations in Aback blocks is size.If you are smaller on bigger (LB),the cut is probably better.If on smaller (DBs) maybe drive and hold.(see Jeune-may not be great receiver but one the best blockers PJ has had.).
I know this from personal experience.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Herbstreit thought that the counter option in the end zone was a pass. It looked like linemen were downfield, but I wondered then if we have RPOs off speed option.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Herbstreit thought that the counter option in the end zone was a pass. It looked like linemen were downfield, but I wondered then if we have RPOs off speed option.

Definitely looked like Green was running a route and the play was taking awhile to develop. I thought the same watching it live and replay.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looked to me that it was run - roll left run right. I base that on the way Devine turned his man in to create the lane. Devine had his problems with backside cut blocks but on that play, he created a lane.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm talking about the TD. Not the failed 3rd down - sorry.
Oddly, Shamire's block on the 3rd down was a drive and he was downfield. TM set his feet for a throw, JJ was wide open, but everything else looked like a run. Just not sure if it was "players choice", a pure PA or missed assignments..