Player Attrition Under CPJ

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great start to a complicated analysis - executive (high school football stars) recruitment, retention, and their impact on organization. You are truly devoted gt football fan.
One of your past analysis talked me into being totally for coach through next year no matter what = 2015 FSU and ND game will be source of pride or shame, thus making us ALL ready for major change or commitment.

Back to personnel turnover- The recent large turnover (personal and discipline) = I hope we are at this point due to a change management philosophy ( in past we believed in 5 the year senior, now we recruiting best we can and since only so many brass hats - you old farts need to move up or over- UP or OVER by mid career ).

If you can Please consider comparing BAYLOR (what I consider a premier programs data directly to GT for last 7 years.

6 years or so ago Both were new coaches and both run unconventional offenses. Baylor runs much more aggressive defense. Both are similar sized schools that have excellent academics. GT has much smaller range of courses .
My son went there 12 years ago and they stunk up the big 12. He teaches there and we have season tickets - game 1 in new stadium, lots of festivities - prez bush, Robert griffin , renewed traditions, favored to win b12, etc We had success early and they are now very successful . Lots of similarities but significant difference in direction of programs . Maybe you can identify something in the attrition between schools.
Thanks

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks IceEater. I do this to try and work things out in my head becasue I find it interesting. Writing it down force more clarity of thought than I'd otherwise have. Not that it is important, but I find it adds to the entertainment value. Hopefully others do to.

I'll take a quick look at Baylor after I get done with the GT side. The data is really hard to come for this since it is by exclusion and when someone leaves the team they fall into a black hole in many cases. And the school usually can't talk about it.

I don't know if this year's high attrition is random; but it speaks volumes that it is more than when CPJ came in and also the most we have had. But I still have work to do to see the details. There are probably several major reasons that have come together; some of which people won't talk about.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't see Phil Smith in your list.

True. I didn't include people who had been at GT for four years, one of which was a red shirt, and opted out for their last year. That's because they have gotten a full 4 years of scholarship and that's all I was thinking any player should expect. (Like the Presidential scholarship is only 4 years.) If they aren't happy and want to stop playing football, they have had a great ride.

Thinking about it more, which is why I asked for help, I probably should somehow include them to in the ones who left early. The players who red shirted and left after four years are:
Claytor Nick
Jackson Kyle
Lanier J.C.
Lockhart Jon
Machen B.J.
McKayhan Daniel
Moore Jeremy
Rocker Albert
Smith Phil
Watson Richard

So when I get back to this, I'll figure out how to classify them. Someone like Menocal has been on four years of scholarship and is opting to play somewhere else next year. So he is attrition under the program too.