PJ on 680 earlier today...

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
excerpts of what he had to say from a listener:

1. QB development in the spring was good. JT played real well, Byerly was excellent.
2. Laskey was the best player on the team this spring.
3. Was happy with the D this spring. Showed a lot of improvement over this time last year.
4. WR is deeper then it's been since he arrived at GT. They just need to show it on the field.
5. The offense had more formations & packages last year then he's ever had at GT. There will be some real noticeable changes this year.

Pleased with the #3 comment. This will be the key to our season IMO.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Most pleased with #3 also. Curious about #5... did you feel he was alluding to their being some development of new formations and packages as we continue into the years... or did you feel he was saying we would be pulling that back. I have heard mixed things and honestly, feel like there is opportunity for honing the fundamentals but also focusing in on a few different packages.

Thanks!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe there will be less packages this year and the focus will be the QB and BB "reading" the same thing. I just think PJ wants to get his base offense rolling which in turn will open up the passing game. This is the area where I think Byerly will excel.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not so sure if we couldn't execute the base offense......just had a QB that was not willing to execute it.

I agree with the first part - we didn't execute the base offense well. I can't agree with the second part that Vad wasn't willing to execute it. I don't know what was going on in his head; I do think Vad tried (as did JT) and it just didn't work (loss of throwing mechanics, lack of fight for the extra yard, QB competence, OL blocking, AB whiff blocks, etc).

Vad leaving made this season's decisions easier. If Vad had stayed, he would be the top QB or else there would be a split on the team since he was the leader and had the stated loyalty of some.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He stated that there will be some noticeable changes in formation, that was very interesting to me.
He also stated that he wants GT to get back to what we do and that's run the football.
Maybe adding a few of the formations that Cook used as Cal Poly

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd rather have less packages, and more competence. What we're gonna do offensively has never been a secret. Let's just run it faster than they can defend it (and make sure we have the athletes to successfully run it faster)!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Byerly being "excellent" and Laskey being the "best" player on the team this spring bodes very well for the base offense IMO. If we can get decent line play this offense can really flourish this year.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Happy with #5. Sometimes less is more. It is interesting coach keeps stating that the guys here want to run the offense. I wonder when CPJ realized Vad didn't want to run the TO? Was it before or after his comment "The option really isn't my thing"?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather have less packages, and more competence. What we're gonna do offensively has never been a secret. Let's just run it faster than they can defend it (and make sure we have the athletes to successfully run it faster)!

you can run the exact same plays from different formations, giving the defense a new look and new alignment criteria and take advantage by confusing them doing this. We ran like 10-15 plays in the late 90s under fridge a game from 20 or so formations.....We simplified the offense by having a few good bread and butter plays, but made it complex by running it from a ton of different looks and the D would miss alignment and assignment and BAM big play

I expect paul to do this...I think it is the next step he needs in his offense and we can do it!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
the real noticeable changes will be hurryup, sideline signals and checks, and a few new wrinkles
cheering_minions.gif

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure this was actually it, but I think Coach wanted to open the O up more last year because he thought a) he had a QB who could throw the ball, b) he thought our OL would be good enough to let us do that more, c) Vad had looked ok running the ball too, and d) it was about time to get the run n' shoot package going.

The problem is that: b fell to pieces by game 4, c turned out to be more difficult as a consequence, and so did d.

Personally, I thought Vad looked like a first year starter last year; ups and downs. I believe he would have gotten better if he had stayed. Oth, since he really didn't want to run the base O, it is probably a good thing he left. We'll see soon enough.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought he said the reason he did not signal in plays were because they were so easy to steal.

he also said he had no need for a special teams coach, and he quoted as saying as long as he was coach at GT we wouldn't run out of the shotgun, there is no need for it. He said this numerous times on his coaches show, at one point even said stop looking for it....Give paul credit, he has gone against alot of things he has said publicly in the past.

if signals were so easy to steal, and everything in football was so simple, then why does everyteam that plays the game sideline signal?

lets face it, we can all make an argument for anything.