#PittvsGT Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As opposed to the SEC Platform of Suck, where ten teams that totally suck prop up the rankings of the other four—because losing in an SEC matchup is equivalent to winning a game in any other conference matchup.
Yeah, here’s a test. Arkansas lost worst to uga than we lost to Pitt. Will they drop out of the top 15 as a result or will the uga slaughtering count as a “quality” loss?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, here’s a test. Arkansas lost worst to uga than we lost to Pitt. Will they drop out of the top 15 as a result or will the uga slaughtering count as a “quality” loss?
The difference between the talent & depth of talent for the top 2 teams vs everyone else has never seemed any larger - maybe this is not true, but it feels that way. Bammer’s Oline & UGAG’s Dline appear to be NFL quality.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't watch the game (just as well), but I did see the condensed version. Impressions:

1. I said this once before and got all kinds of flak about it. MOVE GIBBS TO WR. AND START SMITH AT RB. Gibbs has always reminded me of the great Bama WRs; fast, elusive, and able to find a seam with th best of them. But … he doesn't run as hard as Smith or Mason and that's what we need at RB, given the state of the OL. Get Gibbs out to the borders and target him 10 - 15 times game.

2. RUM SIMS MORE. Last weekend we did that and got great results. Yesterday we didn't and, while Sims had a good game, imho he could have been more effective if he had run more. The designed runs worked just fine. More of that, please.

3. Any team that gives Pickett that much time to throw is asking for it and will get it. The guy is a premium QB and you just can't give him that kind of leeway. Of course, the Pitt OL had a lot to do with that.

4. Our OL didn't tear up the pea patch yesterday, but they looked about average. Btw, I now think it is clear why Saban was willing to see Key leave without a counter offer.

5. A technical point, The first Sims interception was not his fault and shouldn't be counted against him. I hav long thought that tipped balls should be counted against the entire O as a tip interception. He should have eaten the ball on the second one, however.

6. And a major gripe against the Tech football site. Used to be that you could easily find the box scores for each game. Now they are buried so deep you need a backhoe to find them. I don't know why this happened, but it needs to stop. Hard to analyze a game without the stats ready to hand.

Well, enough.
You know what's funny about how much I disagree with Point #1? When Gibbs trucked a Pitt defender yesterday I was trying to recall which poster called him "cute" and assumed that play might settle things and this wouldn't come up again. Then you posted this to remind me today.

I say that as a colleague and fan and not to get under your skin. You are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate different points of view. I just think this "cute" and "slot receiver" take is so wrong. If anything, I'd say a different play call mix is more appropriate. Shifting his position doesn't make sense to me.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have a stable of really good RB’s. Unfortunately for Mason he is not built to succeed behind a bad line. I can see Mason getting drafted late and having a good pro career. He just can’t ground and pound at GT. Gibbs and Smith at least have the jukes to dance behind a bad line. Our OC is destroying these young QB’s and RB’s. Last year and this year are just empty reps. They aren’t learning on the job, they are just trying to survive. No progress is being made at all on offense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We have a stable of really good RB’s. Unfortunately for Mason he is not built to succeed behind a bad line. I can see Mason getting drafted late and having a good pro career. He just can’t ground and pound at GT. Gibbs and Smith at least have the jukes to dance behind a bad line. Our OC is destroying these young QB’s and RB’s. Last year and this year are just empty reps. They aren’t learning on the job, they are just trying to survive. No progress is being made at all on offense.
Explain how its the OC fault?

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Being at the game yesterday was frustrating. Watching the game again today changed my opinion on a few things.

I only saw maybe 3-4 play calls that seemed really bad on Coach Pats part. The rest was just our inability to execute. I do think Sims shouldve attempted to keep more, but i was unable to determine if this was on Sims or Pat.

Also, we had over 400 yards of offense, so there shouldve been more points. Norris failed to make a 50/50 catch late in the game. We had a holding call cost us another chance on Gibbs big run. And too often our O Line failed our RBs and QB in providing any lanes of opportunity. If we cant run at all, thats not good against anyone. Gibbs average on runs yesterday was -1 ypp.

On D, there wasn’t pressure enough on Pickett. However, their WR did make some really good catches that werent all failures are n our behalf anymore than they were just great playing on their behalf. Worth noting is that Pitt effectively made Charlie Thomas a non-factor in that game. They knew his ability to make TFL and kept him busy with distractions while throwing away from him or ran away from wherever he was in the field.

At the end of the day, take away the 14 we gave them in turnovers and it was a completely different game. We held them to 10 points in the second half which is not bad. We also only allowed there offense to EARN 7 in the first which again isnt bad. The second quarter our D choked and cost us.

What i am saying is that its not all as bad as it seemed. We can still win 6 this year, just depends on how our team reacts. Our O Line, or lack thereof, still baffles me though…

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I couldn't watch the game (just as well), but I did see the condensed version. Impressions:

1. I said this once before and got all kinds of flak about it. MOVE GIBBS TO WR. AND START SMITH AT RB. Gibbs has always reminded me of the great Bama WRs; fast, elusive, and able to find a seam with th best of them. But … he doesn't run as hard as Smith or Mason and that's what we need at RB, given the state of the OL. Get Gibbs out to the borders and target him 10 - 15 times game.

2. RUM SIMS MORE. Last weekend we did that and got great results. Yesterday we didn't and, while Sims had a good game, imho he could have been more effective if he had run more. The designed runs worked just fine. More of that, please.

3. Any team that gives Pickett that much time to throw is asking for it and will get it. The guy is a premium QB and you just can't give him that kind of leeway. Of course, the Pitt OL had a lot to do with that.

4. Our OL didn't tear up the pea patch yesterday, but they looked about average. Btw, I now think it is clear why Saban was willing to see Key leave without a counter offer.

5. A technical point, The first Sims interception was not his fault and shouldn't be counted against him. I hav long thought that tipped balls should be counted against the entire O as a tip interception. He should have eaten the ball on the second one, however.

6. And a major gripe against the Tech football site. Used to be that you could easily find the box scores for each game. Now they are buried so deep you need a backhoe to find them. I don't know why this happened, but it needs to stop. Hard to analyze a game without the stats ready to hand.

Well, enough.
Moving Gibbs to WR is insane. He runs hard as s*** through tackles, not his fault we have a swiss cheese OL. Every handoff he breaks and shakes a few guys before three more come and swallow him up, idk how that's his fault. Gibbs runs just as hard as Mason that's for sure, and Smith is a special type of explosive, but he couldn't do that 25 times a game which is why he ideally would see around 10 carries.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Moving Gibbs to WR is insane. He runs hard as s*** through tackles, not his fault we have a swiss cheese OL. Every handoff he breaks and shakes a few guys before three more come and swallow him up, idk how that's his fault. Gibbs runs just as hard as Mason that's for sure, and Smith is a special type of explosive, but he couldn't do that 25 times a game which is why he ideally would see around 10 carries.
Maybe not WR but at slot back that way he can still have running plays plus it puts him in the open field more which is what you want .

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You know what's funny about how much I disagree with Point #1? When Gibbs trucked a Pitt defender yesterday I was trying to recall which poster called him "cute" and assumed that play might settle things and this wouldn't come up again. Then you posted this to remind me today.

I say that as a colleague and fan and not to get under your skin. You are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate different points of view. I just think this "cute" and "slot receiver" take is so wrong. If anything, I'd say a different play call mix is more appropriate. Shifting his position doesn't make sense to me.
I have called his running style cute previously, but not as as a pejorative statement. I say it in the same way you or others might call him elusive or shifty. I think his balance of speed and ability to change direction is higher use to the team than straight up the middle bruising and bouncing through contact.

He is more dangerous in space than anyone else in the room (save maybe 2KTae) so I only mean I would rather the balance of his carries be outside the tackles. Sure he has to run some interior stuff to keep defenders honest but grinding him through the middle when the lanes aren’t there seems wasted possessions and runs the risk of hurting him IMHO.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

To echo the disagreement with the “cute” assessment, Gibbs also chipped one fo the Pitt DEs in pass pro before releasing into a route. He may have cracked the guys rib, he definitely needed assistance after the play.

Roddy made a point to talk about that’s how you do it and Choice would be really happy about that play when they were watching film.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The difference between the talent & depth of talent for the top 2 teams vs everyone else has never seemed any larger - maybe this is not true, but it feels that way. Bammer’s Oline & UGAG’s Dline appear to be NFL quality.
Sad to contemplate that there may only be two complete / total teams in the nation and everyone else is just varying degrees of also ran.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I re-watched a good chunk of the game on youtube and it looks a lot more evenly matched than what the scoreboard would reflect. We moved the ball well on them but just had a lot of crucial mistakes and Kenny Pickett can just make plays. Their OL was really good at holding off the pressure (and yes, literally holding many of the times) and when some pressure would get to Pickett he was really good at evading it getting out of the pocket and making an excellent throw for chunks of yardage. There was obviously some broken coverage but there were also many times where the ball was just thrown perfectly.

That holding call on Gibbs' TD run was a backbreaker. Obviously the game of hypotheticals is a futile one but so is posting on a message board about football results :p. If we were able to score a TD after Gibbs' long catch and run and then not get dinged with holding on that Gibbs TD run that's another 14 pts. Take away the pick 6 and we'd be at 35-28 in the 3rd instead of 42-14. Then have Pickett miss on just 1 or 2 throws and that's a tie ball game. But none of that happened and the offense seemed impotent in the red zone. Really wish they did more with the QB run game when we were that close.

Hope the team can bounce back and put on a show against Duke, get a win and get into the bye week. Coming out of the bye week we definitely have a chance to go on a run if things click. UVA, VT, Miami, BC, ND all look to be good games.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Explain how its the OC fault?
It was the same terrible play calls he made against Clemson in the red zone. Have you seen the running stats? Who keeps calling these plays that get stuffed and loses yards? I know the OLine is bad. In that case you don’t call plays where Sims and Gibbs just stand 6 yards behind the line deciding who keeps the ball. Patenaude did some good play calling but it’s like he doesn’t believe in himself enough to keep doing it. I would have thrown way more of the short passes like the ones to Carter and had Sims roll out. In other words, play to our strength which is speed in space. He turns Sims into a statue when thats not what he is good at. The turnovers from the pocket are no longer random. We have 2 years worth of data that shows Sims in the pocket is not the way to go. Use his legs to get away from the OLine. We’ll see the same thing against BC and VT.