#PittvsGT Postgame

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Class of 2021 – James Forrest (men’s basketball), Vance Walker (football), Jen Yee (softball), Irina Falconi (women’s tennis), Alphonso Jordan (track and field), Derek Dietrich (baseball), Travis Bell (football), Agnus Berenato (head women’s basketball coach)

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I had to turn that off before halftime it was that bad. Did anybody end up having a good game worth recognizing in the 2nd half?
Rutherford. He’s quick and had some burst. He also made a really nice catch fully extending on a corner route.

I missed the first half (thankfully it seems) and am a glutton for punishment.

I thought Sims played well in the 2nd half too. Made some good throws that showed why everyone is so high on him.

On defense Ivey played well before he got hurt. Hope it’s not serious. Not sure if he came back in after going down.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m surprised there weren’t more questions about the offensive scheme and it was primarily about the defensive struggles.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m surprised there weren’t more questions about the offensive scheme and it was primarily about the defensive struggles.
Really? Pitt has nearly 600 yards of offense and Pickett could’ve taken a nap in the pocket. If we had been scoring with them, they might have put up 70 and 700+ yards.

Offense, despite suspect OL play, had a decent day. Now maybe specifically questions about struggles inside the 10 were warranted.

Sims completed 72% of his passes and threw for 360 yards. 2 INTs on tipped balls obviously hurt the stat line, but the offense definitely wasn’t the unit struggling the most today.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He kind of addressed it all early. Turnovers, inability to convert 3rd downs, inability to convert 4th downs, red zone struggles, etc. Plus we were moving the ball pretty well at times. And we were down both starting guards at one point apparently. Not much else to say. Reading between the lines on his answers about defense, though, I think the front 7 (front 6?) are going to have sooooo much fun this week in practice. He looked like it took everything he had not to say that we got dominated at the line of scrimmage.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bobby Dodd has been mostly a disaster for this team so far this season. We have a win against an FCS team, a loss to a G5 program and a blowout loss to a division opponent.

Let's see how our 2nd game out of state goes. Both teams are coming off of smackdowns, will be interesting to see which one performs better.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bobby Dodd has been mostly a disaster for this team so far this season. We have a win against an FCS team, a loss to a G5 program and a blowout loss to a division opponent.

Let's see how our 2nd game out of state goes. Both teams are coming off of smackdowns, will be interesting to see which one performs better.
Playing at Duke has been a disappointing experience in recent years. I have watched three lopsided losses in a row in Durham. That said, we should win this game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One more thing. We are still a very young team and the inconsistency we see is something we should expect. Especially with our young linemen on both sides of the LOS. We could not pressure Pickett and he is a very good passer with a group of really good receivers. Pitt exploited our weakness.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One more thing. We are still a very young team and the inconsistency we see is something we should expect. Especially with our young linemen on both sides of the LOS. We could not pressure Pickett and he is a very good passer with a group of really good receivers. Pitt exploited our weakness.

I was amazed at both how much time he had and how open his receivers were giving we were dropping a lot into coverage. OTOH, when we did cover well he threw nice balls and his receivers had good hands. He seems to move well enough in the pocket to avoid pressure. At the end of the day, I truly don't know how good the guy is as I have only seen him against GT defenses for the last 8 years he has been their QB. He must be older than some of his professors and coaches by now. ;)

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Rutherford. He’s quick and had some burst. He also made a really nice catch fully extending on a corner route.

I missed the first half (thankfully it seems) and am a glutton for punishment.

I thought Sims played well in the 2nd half too. Made some good throws that showed why everyone is so high on him.

On defense Ivey played well before he got hurt. Hope it’s not serious. Not sure if he came back in after going down.
Yes, Ivey returned after the injury. Really need White and Clayton to recover quickly.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe we turned a corner last week but we looked hungover from the high of.last week.
We looked I'll prepared for Pickett,
Coaches should be embarrassed
We approached a corner last week with UNC
Beating Pitt (or a team like it) gets you to the corner
Another such win gets you around it

To truly turn the corner as a program, you have to stack wins
That hadn’t happened yet