Pittsburgh Postgame

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This one hurts for a lot of reasons. I don't even think about how our final record is impacted. I'm just miffed we are 0-1 this weekend. We really need to go 1-0 next weekend, then we can take it from there.

A few thoughts:
This is the first game our defense didn't really play well enough to give us a good chance to win. I never really believed we would go the entire season without having a game like this happen to them. It happens. It hurts when it happens.

When the time came for the 4th and 1, I was yelling at the TV emploring CPJ to go for it. I am so glad he did and I stand behind his decision 100%. This is the way I look at it: you have to play to win. Playing not to lose doesn't sit well with me. You have to try and control the outcome if you can. Truthfully, in my mind, we weren't likely to win without making that first down whether we punted or not. Our defense was gassed and not playing well. Our offense was moving the ball well most of the day despite not having the ball as often as one would like. In my estimation we were a 90% chance to convert and a 75% chance to not stop them if we punted. I'll bet if you surveyed the crowd on that 4th and 1 at the instant we lined up to run that play (whether PITT fan or TECH) and asked who was in better position to win the game? The answer would be for TECH. We can second guess the play call, whatever. Generally speaking I like the call to give #26 the ball there. I don't take much solace coming back after a play fails and second guessing the decision. Unless you were specifically calling for a different play before the ball was snapped, don't even talk to me.

As in most close games, there were a handful of plays that swung the outcome. These are the four that come most quickly to my mind (other than 4th and 1):
1. MLD's drop on the first down throw.
2. LA's drop on the pick 6.
3. CG failing to tip the ball away.
4. Doink! Good. instead of doink! no good.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Think the only chance we really have this year is to let the D loose with blitzes, etc...maybe we can create some turnovers doing it. If we get beat in the process, then so be it...we are getting beat anyway. The offense looks good at times and horrible at others...no consistency. Overall, there seems to be a lack focus and intensity with this team.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Not sure about the blitzes. Ours blitzes today were very slow developing almost as if the guys were afraid that the play was a screen pass.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
What did you all think when Goose was about to replace Lil' Joe? Not like Goose had a ton of snaps prior.
Honestly I thought we weren't going to be nearly as good. And I was extremely happy when Goose got loose against ugag.

Generally speaking first year starting QB's aren't that great no matter what the team. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but I am not banking on being anywhere near as good at the QB position next year. I hope to be pleasantly surprised! Maybe we have the next Goose, Joe, Josh, JT or Shawn Jones waiting in the wings.

Jmonty71

Banned
The problem with the defense stems from its DC. His style is outdated, lackadaisical and non aggressive. It shows on the field. No pre snap movement to remotely confuse the QB. They fell back into a zone after we got the lead and didn't even contain it. That is a coaching issue. No pressure, bad reads and lack of even jumping to knock down passes. All due to lack of coaching. I cannot be the only person that was taught the breakdown of defenses in this group. Roof is not the DC that GT needs. We need one that brings a modern defense, with multiple formations. Someone that can teach the basics of smoke and mirrors. Someone that can mix, disguise and administer blitzes right. Roof does none of this right.

Jmonty71

Banned
If we fire Ted Roof who are we going to bring in? Our biggest problem is lack of funding. If we're going to get rid of Roof we need to bring in a 1st rate Defensive coordinator and we don't have the budget to do so. We need to figure out how to get money into the budget so we can actually have a staff on par with what we should have for a Division 1 program.
You would be surprised on how many D2 and FCS DCs want a chance. Roof isn't the answer, though. He'll cost us missing another bowl. Which is worse? He can recruit, he just can't coach.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This one hurts for a lot of reasons. I don't even think about how our final record is impacted. I'm just miffed we are 0-1 this weekend. We really need to go 1-0 next weekend, then we can take it from there.

A few thoughts:
This is the first game our defense didn't really play well enough to give us a good chance to win. I never really believed we would go the entire season without having a game like this happen to them. It happens. It hurts when it happens.

When the time came for the 4th and 1, I was yelling at the TV emploring CPJ to go for it. I am so glad he did and I stand behind his decision 100%. This is the way I look at it: you have to play to win. Playing not to lose doesn't sit well with me. You have to try and control the outcome if you can. Truthfully, in my mind, we weren't likely to win without making that first down whether we punted or not. Our defense was gassed and not playing well. Our offense was moving the ball well most of the day despite not having the ball as often as one would like. In my estimation we were a 90% chance to convert and a 75% chance to not stop them if we punted. I'll bet if you surveyed the crowd on that 4th and 1 at the instant we lined up to run that play (whether PITT fan or TECH) and asked who was in better position to win the game? The answer would be for TECH. We can second guess the play call, whatever. Generally speaking I like the call to give #26 the ball there. I don't take much solace coming back after a play fails and second guessing the decision. Unless you were specifically calling for a different play before the ball was snapped, don't even talk to me.

As in most close games, there were a handful of plays that swung the outcome. These are the four that come most quickly to my mind (other than 4th and 1):
1. MLD's drop on the first down throw.
2. LA's drop on the pick 6.
3. CG failing to tip the ball away.
4. Doink! Good. instead of doink! no good.
If it makes you feel any better (it won't), we roughed the kicker on the 'Doink good' FG. So, Pitt would have had another opportunity had it gone 'Doink no good'. Could have been a more painful loss, if that's possible.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They have realistically had one bad game this year but ok..... Against Miami we had 4 bad plays besides that they were good enough to win just like today.

So besides the things we did wrong we did well? You don't say... Also, there is really no argument for the BC game not being bad on offense.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
The ball hits the upright and goes in to win the game. I guess it was not meant to be our day. I'm starting to think this won't be our year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
The ball hits the upright and goes in to win the game. I guess it was not meant to be our day. I'm starting to think this won't be our year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not but honestly what did everyone expect?? 10 win season? Sometimes I wonder what you guys saw last year and think.."Ya we are going to be soooo good next year!!"

We are 3-3 with losses to (currently):

#3 Clemson (possible Heisman/#1 pick/ great defense)

#10 Miami (another top QB/great defense/2 fumbles for touchdowns)

Pittsburgh (on the road/ last second field goal/ tipped pass for touchdown/ couldn't get 1/2 yard.)

....We'll see how the rest of the year goes..patience.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Did only 2 DTs get in the game today? I am now wanting to know if we burned Adams shirt or if there is some kind of 3 game thing going to keep said shirt intact? Would really like to have seen at least Glanton make it in to play. If he did play i missed it. Just seemed soft and slow on the D today. The happiness is not overwhelming. If Tech is going to lose at least go out flaming. Blitz. Play up close man to man. Geez something new cause we are losing the same old way.
Prob just frustrated. Would really like to see a defense break down like longestday does for the O.