Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude, you think there might be a reason for that? IF you expected anything from suck from last years offense (before all the Oline injuries) you need to get your head checked.

This year has been up and down. Who would've thought that would be the case with a true freshman starting at QB behind the worst returning Oline in college football (they have been better this year, but are still not close to what we need in pass pro) all while our best two weapons on offense have missed significant time with injuries.

I only got to see the 4th quarter, but the offense looked fine to me. The defense was terrible (no help from the refs), but we moved the ball just fine. Saw some drops from WRs that wouldn't be playing if we were healthy or had the guys we need there.

We have also significantly improved on offense from last year. Is it where any of us would like it? No. But to place all the blame on the guy calling plays without acknowledging the limitations he's working with is asinine.
We’ve scored 21 points or less this year in 7 games. Our only good offensive games were against Duke and Louisville, two of the worst teams in the conference. Outside of Clemson and ND, we haven’t played world beaters.

Acting incredulous to concerns about the OC is ridiculous.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Different game same old stuff. Penalties, poor play calling, poor offensive line play, defense cannot pressure qb or make a third down stop, db's cannot defend the ball. etc. etc. etc. Just a bad football team. It happens. This is developing into a trend. Need some significant changes if we want different results.

Go Jackets!

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
We played 5?

I said as much. Again, it's clear the offense didn't set the world on fire. CDP didn't give up 250+ yards on the ground to a 160lb soaking wet RB, did he?

I am interested in what happened early. Looks like Mason had a bad game. Our running game had been humming. They just sell out to stop the run?
Pitt is a top 5 run defense. They are just good. But CDP couldn't change that by rolling Sims out of the pocket every other play and throwing screens on the other plays so a couple of usual suspects in here are ****ting their pants.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You tell me with a straight face this offense looks good to you? Does it look like it can win the ACC? Not the players. THE SCHEME. Go ahead
I'm discussing the Pittsburgh game in the Pittsburgh postgame thread.

We basically performed on average against the Pitt D, a unit which is obviously really good. That is despite costly drops (scheme was good). Our receiver fell, causing an INT (scheme was fine). Our QB missed open receivers (scheme was good). None of that is players, even though players matter.

Now if you want to discuss the last two years of offense, I'm not interested.

Scubapro

Banned
And the year before we scored 35....yes bad reference.

We played 5?

I said as much. Again, it's clear the offense didn't set the world on fire. CDP didn't give up 250+ yards on the ground to a 160lb soaking wet RB, did he?

I am interested in what happened early. Looks like Mason had a bad game. Our running game had been humming. They just sell out to stop the run?
We didn't commit to the run. He didn't give up yards of course but he gave up multiple short drives.
This is maddening....it like watching Chan and Nix V.2 without Choice and Calvin.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, guys, you can nitpick the offense all you want. ~250 yards to a running back who hasn't rushed for >100 yards all year. That's comically bad and the primary driver for the loss.
Sadly, I posted that Pitt had little to no running game to speak of after watching them play NC State and BC but somehow that guy Davis who had not carried for more than 69 yards all night beat that with one run. They had over 500 yards total offense and about 17 more minutes or so in TOP. If they had been able to finish drives with TDs instead of field goals it may have been worse. From what I could tell our defense played their hearts out when they got near the goal.

Scubapro

Banned
I'm discussing the Pittsburgh game in the Pittsburgh postgame thread.

We basically performed on average against the Pitt D, a unit which is obviously really good. That is despite costly drops (scheme was good). Our receiver fell, causing an INT (scheme was fine). Our QB missed open receivers (scheme was good). None of that is players, even though players matter.

Now if you want to discuss the last two years of offense, I'm not interested.
Wow...enjoy sticking your head in the sand.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
We’ve scored 21 points or less this year in 7 games. Our only good offensive games were against Duke and Louisville, two of the worst teams in the conference. Outside of Clemson and ND, we haven’t played world beaters.

Acting incredulous to concerns about the OC is ridiculous.
Continuing to ignore the facts laid out is ridiculous.

I'm not saying he's some genius, but you and some others act like he should be putting up 40 a game with the "talent" we have. Watch the LOS. It all starts there. We are better than we were last year, but still nowhere near the top half of the ACC there.

Having a guy like Gibbs allows you to cover some of those deficiencies, but he and Brown (our other homerun threat) being out for a large part of the season is more impactful to a GT than most other teams as we transition out of our old offense.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I watched the whole game and I can definitively say that our running game could not get going if their lives depended on it. We’re usually a pretty good run team so I’d say that significantly impacted our play calling in this game. My opinion on the matter is that pitts dline is legit.
Yeah they are good even without the guy who sat out to declare for the draft. That said, Clemson hung over 50 on them and NC State went up and down the field on them as well. They were 5-5 coming into this game for a reason. They are a pretty mediocre team, not terrible but not great either.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
We gave up 156 yards rushing the previous two games combined. Tonight we gave up 317 to a team that is ranked 119th in the country in rushing averaging 100 yards a game. After a pretty good performance last week defensively, im not sure you can just write off tonight's performance as a lack of available talent.
Can you please describe or define the “available talent”?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I could tell our defense played their hearts out when they got near the goal.
This.
It was terribly frustrating watching their little dude scamper about so much but overall I was encouraged by our D's ability to hold them out of the end zone and put some good pressure on the QB. Recruits, transfers, and further development gives me hope for next year. And that's what this game was, development for next year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This.
It was terribly frustrating watching their little dude scamper about so much but overall I was encouraged by our D's ability to hold them out of the end zone and put some good pressure on the QB. Recruits, transfers, and further development gives me hope for next year. And that's what this game was, development for next year.
"scamper" that pretty well describes it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you are correct, that is piss poor coaching and officiating. I am not seeing it on the play by play in espn though

View attachment 9576
I’ll watch the replay tomorrow to double check. What gives me confidence is that was after the 3rd quarter the side judge had to yell to the idiots who spent half the game huddled up discussing calls to move the ball because the chain gang didn’t know where to go. It was par for the night.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach needs to back off harping about the incredible effort our team is giving and the improvement our team is making. Effort without results equals frustration. Improvement should equate to winning or at least coming close at some point.

Go Jackets!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That's why explosive plays are important in CFB. And why we missed Gibbs last game and today. You can't hide explosives from the stats. Same reason our prior offense was better with guys who could house a run or pass.
This is the first smart post I’ve seen in 3 pages. AB & Gibbs being out hurts us really really really ..........bad. We need more depth at all positions and we are still waiting to fill those gaps. Patience people.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
This is on the ESPN homepage. I hate the headline and that the handshake is the clip they are showing but I do find it humorous that they switched the coaches up

GT Postgame ESPN.PNG