Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
The refs about made me have a stroke. Not one to blame refs but the officiating this year has been a nightmare.

Rest easy, guys. The NCAA, ACC, and refs still hate Georgia Tech.

Also idk if Pitts running back was that good or our inability to wrap up let that dude run wild.

So many blown chances. So many bad calls. So many penalties. So many tantrums thrown by yours truly and upsetting the wife.

Sigh. Season is about wrapped up. Looking forward to Miami and next season.
The holes for the Pitt RB were absolutely massive on all of his long gains.

Scubapro

Banned
Um, careful with the stats, we picked up about 60 yards in the last garbage drive. They shut us down tonight.
And we got 70 on a single pass play during our 2nd drive....and almost got held to a FG from the four yard line. Yeah...stats cant hid the genius of Dave

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And still the D played well enough for us to win. The offense is garbage. Even if PeeNut had all the players he wanted he would still struggle to average more than 24 per game....his play calling is horrible.
Our offense performed as well as the average team has vs. Pitt's defense. All with a walk-on center and without our #1 RB.

Our defense performed worse than average for a Pitt game, yielding 34 points (vs 29 avg) and 513 yds (vs 365 avg).

I'm sure the per drive stats can change things, but it could be argued you're comparing apples and oranges.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I hit 6th gear once ... then I woke up. :confused:

...... ya know what else, the more I think about the refs the madder I get. What was the line tonight? Anybody know?

Yes, I'm serious. We should've scored that last drive. Wouldn't have changed the game but could've changed somebody's pocket......
6.5 I read somewhere. Don't know if that is accurate or not. They kicked four field goals. Could have been much worse.

Scubapro

Banned
Our offense performed as well as the average team has vs. Pitt's defense. All with a walk-on center and without our #1 RB.

Our defense performed worse than average for a Pitt game, yielding 34 points (vs 29 avg) and 513 yds (vs 365 avg).

I'm sure the per drive stats can change things, but it could be argued you're comparing apples and oranges.
There is zero rhyme or reason to this offense. You can color it how ever you want but they are undisciplined and poorly coached.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There is zero rhyme or reason to this offense. You can color it how ever you want but they are undisciplined and poorly coached.
I posted stats around today's performance. Can you refute it with something other than opinion?

Your pre-held beliefs prior to CDP's first game have been clear, and I think that jades your opinion a bit, even though there are fair criticisms.

Scubapro

Banned
We didn't lose the games because of the refs, but they damn sure made it impossible for us to have a chance to win which is what pisses me off. It could have been 23-15 if they hadn't called the bull**** PI against Camp. On the ensuing drive, we had Pitt in a 3rd and 16 and they called the weakest unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen. We didn't have a chance to stop them and get the ball back to the offense. And then, Pitt proceeds to eat up 7 minutes thanks to more bull**** penalties. **** that.
Yep...honest assessment

So here is where I am , this season was just weird. It does bother me that again this year we seem to be an injury prone team and that may be because of lack of normal practicing. We are not a good team. Sporadic offense, defense is good at times, we clap when we make an extra point....embarrassing. If we play Miami we will probably lose and be 3-8. So to me next year is the marker. We will have plenty of players and the world will hopefully be right. If we can get to a bowl...6 wins...then we are making progress. If we don't then we need to start looking for a new staff. We will not beat the UGAs and Clemsons next year but we better beat the Dukes, Pitts and UVAs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And we got 70 on a single pass play during our 2nd drive....and almost got held to a FG from the four yard line. Yeah...stats cant hid the genius of Dave
That's why explosive plays are important in CFB. And why we missed Gibbs last game and today. You can't hide explosives from the stats. Same reason our prior offense was better with guys who could house a run or pass.

Scubapro

Banned
I posted stats around today's performance. Can you refute it with something other than opinion?

Your pre-held beliefs prior to CDP's first game have been clear, and I think that jades your opinion a bit, even though there are fair criticisms.
Did you watch the game? Did you see him call pass plays short of the first down marker? Didnt he call a thirty yard pass play on 3rd and three....GTFO that I have to provide stats. I can watch the game and see he doenst know what the f he is doing.

Scubapro

Banned
That's why explosive plays are important in CFB. And why we missed Gibbs last game and today. You can't hide explosives from the stats. Same reason our prior offense was better with guys who could house a run or pass.
One play doesnt make an offense...

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Dude, there’s a pattern of underperformance over 2 seasons. Nobody would be frustrated if our offense was performing well and we had an average night against Pitt. Think about your implicit argument, that folks should be happy about performing just below average in points against Pitt.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We gave up 156 yards rushing the previous two games combined. Tonight we gave up 317 to a team that is ranked 119th in the country in rushing averaging 100 yards a game. After a pretty good performance last week defensively, im not sure you can just write off tonight's performance as a lack of available talent.
So we should expect a DL that at times had 5-7 P5 offers to hold up over a season and never get gashed? I'm not writing it off solely on talent, but I literally cannot think of another ACC DL that I would choose ours over, based on who we had to run out there tonight. That means we are at a competitive disadvantage.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
Some positive notes, since I hardly ever provide any. :)

• Jamious showed some really good signs at the end of being a player that will still make a difference for us (yes, not as fast as Gibbs, but fast enough and tough)
  • Curry has the heart of a lion - probably one of the few players who does "overachieve" at times with his actual "God-given" talent
  • I like that CGC showed some passion and anger on the sidelines - I think that is a good sign going forward
  • Once again, the team kept fighting and didn't give up, even with a lot of "at best", questionable calls (I know, some were just bad)

Now, there are lots of "bad" as well, and I am sure it will be outlined (tackling, dropped passes, questionable play calling, etc.). But, I want to say something about next year. I still don't think we can turn the corner next year - just don't see our DL and OL improving enough next year. I just want to see us average less than 6 penalties a game, and less than 2 turnovers per game. I also want to see a MUCH better kicking game. If we can do at least those things and improve slightly, I think 5 wins is "par" for next year. I want to turn the corner next year like all of you and see 6-8 wins, so I hope I am wrong.
I definitely agree with the thoughts on OL/DL. Just didn’t want to “like” that fact. Imo Sims and all the rbs were eaten alive today.