Pittsburgh - ACC Weekend #3

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Why is Collin Hall still playing right now? He’s batting blowing .230 and has played terrible defense. If his name didn’t end in “Hall” he would not be starting. LITERALLY every game he is bating 1-6 in the order and playing center field. Reminds me of Rec league daddy baseball. I seriously Hope he improves because he’s is playing terrible baseball right now.

Assuming my math is correct, it might have something to do with him putting up a .333/.461/.571 slash line in his last six games. And if you want to stretch it back to the NC State series it's a .281/.425/.468 slash line over his last 9 games. If that's terrible I don't know what to tell you. That's great production from anywhere on the field let alone CF. He had a slow start but he's been very good since the first game of the NC State series. Before that he was still getting his walks so it's not like he wasn't seeing the ball. He appears to have cut down on the strikeouts and his power his starting to show up in game. Let's hope it continues.

As for his defense he's got 2 years and change of solid defensive work. I'd put more stock in that than a handful of mistakes at the beginning of the season.

To be frank, if his name didn't end in "Hall" I doubt you guys would be so eager to bench the kid when he hasn't even cracked 50 at bats on the season and is finally starting to come on at the plate. Trying to insinuate his dad is showing him favoritism is lazy at best.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Assuming my math is correct, it might have something to do with him putting up a .333/.461/.571 slash line in his last six games. And if you want to stretch it back to the NC State series it's a .281/.425/.468 slash line over his last 9 games. If that's terrible I don't know what to tell you. Both of those are great lines from anywhere on the field let alone CF. He had a slow start but he's been very good since the first game of the NC State series. Before that he was still getting his walks so it's not like he wasn't seeing the ball. He appears to have cut down on the strikeouts and his power his starting to show up in game. Let's hope it continues.

As for his defense he's got 2 years and change of solid defensive work. I'd put more stock in that than a handful of mistakes at the beginning of the season.

To be frank, if his name didn't end in "Hall" I doubt you guys would be so eager to bench the kid when he hasn't even cracked 50 at bats on the season and is finally starting to come on at the plate. Trying to insinuate his dad is showing him favoritism is lazy at best.
Well said @Squints ... well said.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming my math is correct, it might have something to do with him putting up a .333/.461/.571 slash line in his last six games. And if you want to stretch it back to the NC State series it's a .281/.425/.468 slash line over his last 9 games. If that's terrible I don't know what to tell you. That's great production from anywhere on the field let alone CF. He had a slow start but he's been very good since the first game of the NC State series. Before that he was still getting his walks so it's not like he wasn't seeing the ball. He appears to have cut down on the strikeouts and his power his starting to show up in game. Let's hope it continues.

And you don’t think someone else could produce better results given the opportunity? We have recruited multiple top 10 recruiting classes and have the biggest/ most talented roster ever.

Also, Hes not a natural CF and He’s betting below .240 and has SHOWN zero power(0 hrs). I like Collin hall and think he will improve, but it’s amazing the that the coaches kid has started and batted at the top of the lineup every game. Give Someone else a chance!

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow

Another thing, he has more starts/ABs/ playing time than that both Compton and Parada lol. Let that sink in!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Please there is another post to discuss Hall. I try not to discuss individual player difficulties in open post (not even that post) and would ask that we don't talk about individual player difficulties in open post (chat is fair game :poop: ).

To the general point of nepotism, I don't think that is the case. (Coaches are fair game in open post IMHO!) I think Danny Hall plays more experienced players who have MLB potential but aren't performing at the time at the expense of letting younger players play. As I said yesterday with the stats, "I'd sit some of the experienced players to get more time for Grenkoski, Jackson and Thomas.". There is nothing wrong in my feeble brain with playing a player situationally to match the needs of the game, i.e. need for offense or defense. https://gtswarm.com/threads/pittsburgh-acc-weekend-3.23098/post-786885

But looking ahead, this team has tremendous talent and great assistant coaching from Ramsey and DBo who I believe are taking us back to the next level. We'll make some noise this year and be battle tested next year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had set this Pitt weekend as a "relax" weekend... no such luck.

GT Baseball takes 5 years off your life...

....but it's the last 5. 😉

LMAO. I had to see if you appropriated that from Yogi it was so good. You didn't, a @FredJacket original? For more in that line, https://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoberra.shtml

For some strange reason, I'm in a great mood. Must be the chance to win the Pitt series today. Or the other round ball game doing ok. We are probably going to see a lot of pitchers today since Pitt's relievers have been better than their starters the last two weeks. But no predictions from me since, "In baseball, you don't know nothing." and since we have demonstrated that "We made too many wrong mistakes."

To be positive, I think Maxwell is going to be a very high draft pick next year (he was drafted in 2019 30th round by Yankees). We can see him getting better and I think he is consistently at 97-98. And coming to GT, he is going to make a boatload more being developed more by DBo. (Shameless plug for coming to GT now.) But putting Maxwell in and keeping him in when he didn't have control was an awful coaching decision IMHO. Here's that last inning which shortened our lives. PTSD to Friday on steroids, I'd have kept Finley in. Maybe the idea was to put in Maxwell with a three run lead and possibly have Finley ready for today. But we were just fricking lucky that Maxwell struck out the side before they got 3 or more runs. Double, wild pitch, walk, SO, single, SO, HBP and SO. Earl Weaver two-pack special for sure.

1615726334180.png

Attachments

• 1615726937263.png
    1615726937263.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 5

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
LMAO. I had to see if you appropriated that from Yogi it was so good. You didn't, a @FredJacket original? For more in that line, https://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoberra.shtml

For some strange reason, I'm in a great mood. Must be the chance to win the Pitt series today. Or the other round ball game doing ok. We are probably going to see a lot of pitchers today since Pitt's relievers have been better than their starters the last two weeks. But no predictions from me since, "In baseball, you don't know nothing." and since we have demonstrated that "We made too many wrong mistakes."

To be positive, I think Maxwell is going to be a very high draft pick next year (he was drafted in 2019 30th round by Yankees). We can see him getting better and I think he is consistently at 97-98. And coming to GT, he is going to make a boatload more being developed more by DBo. (Shameless plug for coming to GT now.) But putting Maxwell in and keeping him in when he didn't have control was an awful coaching decision IMHO. Here's that last inning which shortened our lives. PTSD to Friday on steroids, I'd have kept Finley in. Maybe the idea was to put in Maxwell with a three run lead and possibly have Finley ready for today. But we were just fricking lucky that Maxwell struck out the side before they got 3 or more runs. Double, wild pitch, walk, SO, single, SO, HBP and SO. Earl Weaver two-pack special for sure.

View attachment 10114
I can't take credit as my original. I heard a version of that a long time ago about smoking taking years off your life.

Re Finley. CDH said in his postgame that Finley experienced some forearm tightness after getting back in dugout in the 8th. They did not want to press it and went to Maxwell.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't take credit as my original. I heard a version of that a long time ago about smoking taking years off your life.

Re Finley. CDH said in his postgame that Finley experienced some forearm tightness after getting back in dugout in the 8th. They did not want to press it and went to Maxwell.

I'll still attribute to you. It ain't out there on the world wide web till you said it.

Re Finley, now that makes perfect sense. But I'd still question a more pedestrian closer. We can thisclose to blowing another lead in the ninth.

Today just whoop *** in an error free shutout please. (And no wild pitches or HBP.)

Now for a glorious trail run before the game.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
Pitt has a veteran staff and they all throw strikes. We've been patient at the plate, but they just keep pounding the zone.

Agreed, they are pounding the zone very well. The first pitch was the best pitch several times last night.

You can't exclusively work the count on guys that always throw first pitch strikes. Eventually you need to ambush a couple first pitches that are in your spot or you just give pitchers a free strike. You ambush a homerun and the pitcher feels pressure in an 0-0 count next time and hopefully gets behind. Then work counts if he starts to struggle.

I assume the coaches know this better than me and have already said it. Hopeful for a first pitch jack at some point today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is it just me or have we not gotten many walks this weekend?

4 BB and 0 HBP yesterday and 2BB and 1 HBP on Friday. Pitt has two legit starters and not the first time they've done that. Dudes swept FSU and were a 3-1 game from taking the Duke series.

Even without a good Sunday starter, they beat FSU and Duke on Sundays. Used 10 pitchers on Sunday to beat FSU (as I recall) and 3 to beat Duke 5-4.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In pregame interview, CDH said Maxwell not available today. That's no surprise. But he also said Finley wasn't available. That is a bit of a surprise. Might mean a little more to the forearm tightness thing.

ETA ...rest of bullpen available... including Wilhite... although, he hasn't worked (on pitching) since the nose injury.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
And you don’t think someone else could produce better results given the opportunity? We have recruited multiple top 10 recruiting classes and have the biggest/ most talented roster ever.

Perhaps. But I don't know that for sure because I can't see into the future. Neither can you. Just because you think someone else could do better doesn't mean they will. Benching someone who is giving you great production right now for an amorphous 'someone else', because he isn't the coach's son, who might do better strikes me as foolish. Maybe it's a blip and he goes back to struggling. Then the conversation has merit. Right now it doesn't imo.

Also, Hes not a natural CF and He’s betting below .240 and has SHOWN zero power(0 hrs). I like Collin hall and think he will improve, but it’s amazing the that the coaches kid has started and batted at the top of the lineup every game. Give Someone else a chance!

Hall's actually batting .245 and it's gone up every game for the past two weeks. Home runs aren't the only source of power and not having a lot isn't a big deal if you get on base and get other XBH and he's done both recently (fwiw he's been on base at least once in every game he's played). And he's been batting 6th which is hardly 'top of the lineup.' He started the season in the top 3 and that's where he hit in the line up last year so he's already been moved down.

Another thing, he has more starts/ABs/ playing time than that both Compton and Parada lol. Let that sink in!

You're grasping at straws here. Hall has got 2 more at-bats than Compton and Parada. He's got the same amount of games played as Compton and 1 more start. He's got 2 more games played and 1 more start than Parada which isn't unusual because Parada's a catcher and catchers aren't going to play every game. These are not exactly massive differences.

Look I get getting down on a struggling player, though as I've pointed out he's been pretty good lately. My issue is that creating an arbitrary bar he has to clear that other players don't isn't fair to him or his dad. He's been a productive starter for 2 of his 3 years on campus and we all know what happened to the 3rd. Players go through a cold streak sometimes. It happens. Why shouldn't he get a chance to play through it like any other player would? Because his last name is Hall? That's garbage.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
In pregame interview, CDH said Maxwell not available today. That's no surprise. But he also said Finley wasn't available. That is a bit of a surprise. Might mean a little more to the forearm tightness thing.

ETA ...rest of bullpen available... including Wilhite... although, he hasn't worked (on pitching) since the nose injury.

I cringe when I hear forearm tightness with a pitcher, as it's often been a sign of the need for a certain surgery named after a former Yankee and Dodger pitcher. Hope not in this case.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Please there is another post to discuss Hall. I try not to discuss individual player difficulties in open post (not even that post) and would ask that we don't talk about individual player difficulties in open post (chat is fair game :poop: ).

To the general point of nepotism, I don't think that is the case. (Coaches are fair game in open post IMHO!) I think Danny Hall plays more experienced players who have MLB potential but aren't performing at the time at the expense of letting younger players play. As I said yesterday with the stats, "I'd sit some of the experienced players to get more time for Grenkoski, Jackson and Thomas.". There is nothing wrong in my feeble brain with playing a player situationally to match the needs of the game, i.e. need for offense or defense. https://gtswarm.com/threads/pittsburgh-acc-weekend-3.23098/post-786885

But looking ahead, this team has tremendous talent and great assistant coaching from Ramsey and DBo who I believe are taking us back to the next level. We'll make some noise this year and be battle tested next year.
I completely understand, I hate calling specific players out too. I think Hall should be a starter, but if he’s struggling right now. We are a loaded team and should atleast give another kid an opportunity.

I think hall will be great later in the year but DH should let Hall take a couple games off.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I completely understand, I hate calling specific players out too. I think Hall should be a starter, but if he’s struggling right now. We are a loaded team and should atleast give another kid an opportunity.

I think hall will be great later in the year but DH should let Hall take a couple games off.

But if you look at the numbers he's not struggling right now. That's the whole point!

Last edited: