PITT's other Opponents

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PITT has now played 3 well respected opponents. Yes, I include us in that category. Every game is different and transitive property doesn't mean much in CFB, but I thought it would be pretty neat to see how GT compared to PSU and OKST against this one opponent. Both of them are top 20 if not top 10 type teams.

First Downs (for, against)
OKST (27-17) PSU (14, 24) GT (25, 11)

Time of Possession (for, against)
OKST (28:28, 31:32) PSU (21:40, 38:20) GT (35:02, 24:58)

Total Offense (for, against)
OKST (676, 391) PSU (312, 342) GT (484, 235)

Turnovers (forced, lost)
OKST (2, 2) PSU (3, 1) GT (1, 4)

Score (for, against)
OKST (59, 21) PSU (33, 14) GT (35-17)

The thing that jumps out at me is how we dominated yards, TOP, and first downs compared to the other two even while losing the TO battle 1-4. How would PSU's game have turned out if that were the case? What does all this mean? Discuss.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
PITT has now played 3 well respected opponents. Yes, I include us in that category. Every game is different and transitive property doesn't mean much in CFB, but I thought it would be pretty neat to see how GT compared to PSU and OKST against this one opponent. Both of them are top 20 if not top 10 type teams.

Turnovers (forced, lost)

Score (for, against)

The thing that jumps out at me is how we dominated yards, TOP, and first downs compared to the other two even while losing the TO battle 1-4. How would PSU's game have turned out if that were the case? What does all this mean? Discuss.

I think it means that the Pitt coach needs to talk to his AD about scheduling. As far as comparing Tech to the other two teams is concerned, I do not think it is a valid comparison except that we were the only team to have a lopsided TOP advantage. That coupled with losing 4 fumbles is quite the paradox. IT DOES NOT mean we are a top 25 team...yet.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it means that the Pitt coach needs to talk to his AD about scheduling. As far as comparing Tech to the other two teams is concerned, I do not think it is a valid comparison except that we were the only team to have a lopsided TOP advantage. That coupled with losing 4 fumbles is quite the paradox. IT DOES NOT mean we are a top 25 team...yet.
No, but it does mean we have the ability, if we keep improving to be a top 10 team this year. I think he is projecting potential. I'm not saying we will but it is certainly there for us to go for it. Cannot keep putting the ball on the ground when our backs are just running with it or jumping offsides.

Turnovers (forced, lost)

Score (for, against)

CPJ said something like if we had not had the turnovers the score could have easily been 50-10. I agree. Pittsburgh is giving up 37 points per game. There is a reason for that. They are very weak offensively, can't keep their defense off the field. True, they did get three tough opponents right out of the gate.

Jmonty71

Banned

Turnovers (forced, lost)

Score (for, against)

Using that logic, I can say UMass held UT to 17 points. How many did they score on us?? So, does that mean UMass has a better defense?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. As I said in another thread, Pitt has good talent. Their problem is that it is young, inexperienced, or both. They aren't a nullity on O either. Yet we made them so. That tells us something and give out D confidence (that's a large part of playing D) going forward. Maybe they'll come up with a nickname by the end of the year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. As I said in another thread, Pitt has good talent. Their problem is that it is young, inexperienced, or both. They aren't a nullity on O either. Yet we made them so. That tells us something and give out D confidence (that's a large part of playing D) going forward. Maybe they'll come up with a nickname by the end of the year.
I think the only other game I think Pitt wins the rest of the way is the game with Rice.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, nobody here thinks it is significant that OKST gave up 391 yards to PITT and PSU 342, while we held them to 235 yards, even after we lost the TO battle 1-4? Look, I am not a believer in the transitive property for football, but you really can't look at this stat and say that it supports an argument that we are a weaker defensive team. I'm not ready to say we are better than either of those teams, but I am not ready to say we aren't either. Overall, I look at our results this season as very encouraging and an indicator of progress.

I understand that OKST plays up tempo compared to us and that tends to skew stats ('87, I can already hear you typing) when compared to us. Let's take a look at 3rd down isolation: PSU held them to 5-17, OKST 5-17, TECH 1-13.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, nobody here thinks it is significant that OKST gave up 391 yards to PITT and PSU 342, while we held them to 235 yards, even after we lost the TO battle 1-4? Look, I am not a believer in the transitive property for football, but you really can't look at this stat and say that it supports an argument that we are a weaker defensive team. I'm not ready to say we are better than either of those teams, but I am not ready to say we aren't either. Overall, I look at our results this season as very encouraging and an indicator of progress.

I understand that OKST plays up tempo compared to us and that tends to skew stats ('87, I can already hear you typing) when compared to us. Let's take a look at 3rd down isolation: PSU held them to 5-17, OKST 5-17, TECH 1-13.

LOL I did reach to turn on my wifi after reading the first paragraph on my phone.

For what it's worth, PSU held Pitt to 3.98 yds/play and OK State held them to 5.67. We held them to 4.28 yds/play, which aint bad. However, it's hard to know how to interpret the OK St stats given that the game was looking like a blowout early.

Regardless, our D played well, but their O is not yet that good. I agree that 3rd down stat is big, and I'm hopeful that it points to greater things to come.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
No, but it does mean we have the ability, if we keep improving to be a top 10 team this year. I think he is projecting potential. I'm not saying we will but it is certainly there for us to go for it. Cannot keep putting the ball on the ground when our backs are just running with it or jumping offsides.

"if we keep improving..." Will we keep improving on defense? Will the offense become more efficient in getting touchdowns with all the yardage? Will the kicking game improve to the point where every kickoff and punt doesn't become an adventure? Will the offense keep turnovers to a minimum? Until all of that is accomplished then no we are not a top 25 team much less top 10.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

We did give them less time to run their offense because of our dominance but clearly our defense played great. If the defense can continue this type of play the some swarm members will have little to say :)

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
"if we keep improving..." Will we keep improving on defense? Will the offense become more efficient in getting touchdowns with all the yardage? Will the kicking game improve to the point where every kickoff and punt doesn't become an adventure? Will the offense keep turnovers to a minimum? Until all of that is accomplished then no we are not a top 25 team much less top 10.
Why would you think we wouldn't? Most of the mistakes that I have seen us make are fixable. Also have you watched the teams that are considered top 25 right now. Most of them can not do what you expect Tech to do.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The stats are impressive. I am just waiting for GT to start playing complete games on both sides of the ball. If we can, the stats will be off the charts.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
In our first 3 games we were clearly the better team. That is why I am optimistic. Three games does not a season make but last. year by mid season I was wondering if we could maybe finish strong enough to win a couple more. A decent defense and our offense makes for a hard team to beat.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
OSU was up 49-14 against Pitt at halftime. I think they probably mentally checked out of that game in the 2nd half or thy could've scored 75 on them,

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Take one game at a time. A journey of a thousand miles starts one step at a time and persistence to accomplish the end goal one step at a time.

Ratings will sort itself out. Beat NC cheats next! That has to be the focus and the goal for now. If Saturdays D is a real step forward then this could be a very special year. Next Saturday will reveal a little bit more of how good we may be. One game at a time. Stay focused. GO JACKETS!! THWG!!!

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Oklahoma state had 2nd string D in second drive if the second half. Id say they are the only team to have garbage time that early but we did get a drive or two of Garbage time and I didn't watch the PSU game so no comment there. Agree that YPP is a better measure due to Oklahoma states offenense giving them more drives and plays for both sides. PSU-Pitt is also a rivalry and that always skews things

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Why would you think we wouldn't? Most of the mistakes that I have seen us make are fixable. Also have you watched the teams that are considered top 25 right now. Most of them can not do what you expect Tech to do.

You must be new to these parts. It is a article of faith for any Tech fan to be questioning and hypercritical of his team. Being a Tech fan is sort of like undergoing a ritual of pain and sacrifice in order to purge oneself of weakness and sin. Even when I sat at the Citrus Bowl watching us destroy a Nebraska team that was favored to beat us, I really thought that at the last minute something would happen to deny us a well earned national championship. Actually, it did a phantom clipping call wiped out a Notre Dame punt return that would have beaten Colorado and given us an undisputed national championship but that's another story. Point is, when you have recruiting rankings typically in the 3os or worse the margin for error is pretty small. It is true that we could beat a lot of teams currently in the top 25 as you say but the fact remains there are plenty of teams currently ranked much worse than we are that could on a good day beat us as well. It is just that close.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
Our defense is better than it was last year. That second half against UT was tough, but overall a definite improvement. With 4 turnovers even a bad team can slip up and beat you, no matter how good your O is. Heck, we had four turnovers AND gave up a special teams TD and still won handily. Our D bowed their necks and saved us several times. Clean up the turnovers and we could have a special year.