Pitt is favored

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Having some time to soak in the last few days, I imagine Pitt will force us to stop the pass. We haven’t seen much of a passing threat offense. Yeah absolutely UNC is a passing threat offense but they got punched early and never got into a rhythm.

I think they’ll try to use Pickett to dink and dime on our corners then try to integrate their run game.

But here’s to our D, hoping they can punch Pitt early on too.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I try not to harp too much on the numbers. I had us around + 3 or +3.5 territory PRIOR to the UNC game. Typically books and people tend to overadjust based on the prior weeks’ game. But no adjustment whatsoever is interesting. 3-2 odds on a coin flip is a pretty good proposition :)

slugboy

Staff member
Looks like the line is 3.5 now(??), and Bill Connelly forecasts Pitt by 8 (but take the under):

He predicts Pitt 31-GT 22 (margin rounds to 9 here), and has Pitt as a strong 69% favorite.

kalld12

Banned
Would he pick UNC over Pitt?
LOL... nope, but this is a game that we NEED to win to send a message to not only the ACC but the entire country that were FOREAL, and will command respect from opponents moving forward. People still aren't taking us serious or giving us the respect we deserve, but we win another game against a very worthy opponent who has a win against an SEC opponent, that will change! GO JACKETS!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have this weeks’s numbers, but as of last week, it looks like he’d have picked UNC by at least a TD over Pitt.
Interesting. Acknowledging that there isn't a commutative property in football, that makes me feel better about our chances against Pitt.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Acknowledging that there isn't a commutative property in football, that makes me feel better about our chances against Pitt.
It makes me feel better to know that Tech beat the point spread by 3 TD's against Clemson and 5 TD's against UNC. So, if we're beating the point spread by an average of 4 TD's against ACC competition, that would put us at 4 1/2 TD's better than Pitt. No commutative property in football for sure, but if we do beat the snot out of them it would definitely establish a trend that cannot be ignored.

That being said, I'll be happy with a one-point win.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. It’s position matchups, systems and timing on the schedule that seems to count more than results against common opponents. I have been consistently more afraid of our matchup with Pitt than with UNC. I think we should all be pretty sky high if we beat Pitt. Seriously, the ACC would be there for the taking at that point.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I'm obviously biased even tho I try not to be but I am really struggling to understand all the love Pitt is getting. Its October and they have yet to set foot in the ACC. They played one reasonably decent team and three warmups. We played a then top-ten team on the road and hosted a ranked scoring machine and a tough NIU team. We are battle-tested whereas Pitt hasn't broken a sweat yet.

Maybe they really are better - I just don't see it. I guess I'll get my answer in three days.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm obviously biased even tho I try not to be but I am really struggling to understand all the love Pitt is getting. Its October and they have yet to set foot in the ACC. They played one reasonably decent team and three warmups. We played a then top-ten team on the road and hosted a ranked scoring machine and a tough NIU team. We are battle-tested whereas Pitt hasn't broken a sweat yet.

Maybe they really are better - I just don't see it. I guess I'll get my answer in three days.
I agree with all of this except the part about NIU, that's just gold tinted glasses.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I don't know that it is love for Pitt as much as people aren't fully convinced yet that we have improved enough to beat them. Even if we played UNC again this weekend we wouldnt be favored. It takes time to build your reputation back up. We need to string some wins together. Winning this weekend would be the first time we have had back to back wins since 2018. If we do, and we follow that up with a Duke win, the discussion around us will change.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
From what I’ve seen, Pitt is better than UNC. Their offense has been good every week. UNC put up points the two weeks before playing us, but haven’t been as consistent as Pitt. I think this will be a fight. Hope our defense comes to play.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Pitt blew out 2 FCS teams so who cares. they did their job. Pitts defense is B A D. If Milton from Tenn didn't miss a bunch of wide open receivers in the first half of their game, Tenn would have run away with it. Their DBs are very undersized. Malachi and Kyric should tear them up. We should not have to worry about scoring. If they commit to stop the run, Jeff and the WRs will have a field day.

The only concern is our defense. They played their best game of the CGC era last week. Pitt will air it out on us with their 8th (?) year QB. Can we stop it? Only if we get the pressure we saw last week. Also Pickett has some sneaky wheels so we'll see what factor that plays. I suspect we also may be playing against the refs again this week.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Pitt blew out 2 FCS teams so who cares. they did their job. Pitts defense is B A D. If Milton from Tenn didn't miss a bunch of wide open receivers in the first half of their game, Tenn would have run away with it. Their DBs are very undersized. Malachi and Kyric should tear them up. We should not have to worry about scoring. If they commit to stop the run, Jeff and the WRs will have a field day.

The only concern is our defense. They played their best game of the CGC era last week. Pitt will air it out on us with their 8th (?) year QB. Can we stop it? Only if we get the pressure we saw last week. Also Pickett has some sneaky wheels so we'll see what factor that plays. I suspect we also may be playing against the refs again this week.

Interesting you say that. According to DFEI, which factors out non-FBS opponents and garbage time, Pitts defense is rated #35 vs our #46. Pitt is a quality opponent that may very well win the ACC Coastal this year. (I doubt it but they are as good as anyone else not named Duke in our half of the ACC)

I mean, you could argue that since they lost a close game to a directional school from the G5 that they can't be that good, but that's not an argument anyone in this fan base should consider using this year...

Edit to add Pitt has only played one FCS opponent.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting you say that. According to DFEI, which factors out non-FBS opponents and garbage time, Pitts defense is rated #35 vs our #46. Pitt is a quality opponent that may very well win the ACC Coastal this year. (I doubt it but they are as good as anyone else not named Duke in our half of the ACC)

I mean, you could argue that since they lost a close game to a directional school from the G5 that they can't be that good, but that's not an argument anyone in this fan base should consider using this year...

Edit to add Pitt has only played one FCS opponent.
FWIW, UMASS might as well still be FCS. Cant believe it's almost been a decade for them back in FBS.

I cant tell you about all these fancy stats but watching both of Pitt's games vs Tenn and WMI I can tell you what i saw. It was undersized DBs getting burned by WRs. Milton for Tenn stinks and missed a bunch of wide open big throws...funny enough he's not their starting QB anymore

I've got respect for Pitt and don't take any matchup for granted. It will come down to whether our defense can stop Pickett and their offense. It also may come down to special teams. I don't know what the Pitt fans are saying on their board but Im sure theyre hoping that Pitt can drop 40+ again otherwise they're in trouble.