Pitching Rotation and Starting Lineup for Opening Games

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan
What say you insider guys about our starting lineup for this weekend? Who will be our starting pitchers for Fri/Sat/Sun? Who is supposed to be our closer this year? I have heard that we have a stud Frosh pitcher coming in that can hit 98mph but may be a bit erratic? Will be interesting to see if he gets a start this weekend....

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What say you insider guys about our starting lineup for this weekend? Who will be our starting pitchers for Fri/Sat/Sun? Who is supposed to be our closer this year? I have heard that we have a stud Frosh pitcher coming in that can hit 98mph but may be a bit erratic? Will be interesting to see if he gets a start this weekend....
I'll go with Roedig, Hughes, Maxwell with Archer and Bartnicki being the main guys out of the pen. I could also see Archer starting with Maxwell coming out of the pen. Barlow is my dark horse guy for the staff.

There are so many ways that we can lineup that anybody's guess could be right. I'll say that we go Waddell, Guldberg, Hall, Radcliffe, Compton, Jenkins, Wilhite, Turley/Holland, and Webb.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Opening weekend rotation will be Maxwell Friday, Hughes Saturday, Roedig Sunday. No idea on the lineup. Still a lot of question marks about certain guys. Hall has battled a back injury all off season, and suffered from vertigo. Unsure of whether he’ll start opening weekend. Waddell and Guldberg will almost definitely be 1-2, don’t know who will hit 3rd, especially if Hall isn’t playing, but Radcliffe probably 4th. Other than that, it’s anybody’s guess. Honestly a few of you guys could get some ABs on Friday and it would hardly affect the outcome of the game

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Honestly a few of you guys could get some ABs on Friday and it would hardly affect the outcome of the game
I'm not a believer in jinxes and/or hexes and/or mythical mystical magical powers that can cross time and space to impact baseball games anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world.

....buuuuuut IF I were, I'd warn you that you need to avoid stepping on any cracks/lines the rest of the week to make up for that... or whatever the equivalent neutralizing behavior would be to unhex and unjinx whatever you just put in motion.

...just to be safe.. do something!

...but seriously, I don't believe in any of that stuff. Seriously! ..for real. (y)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Opening weekend rotation will be Maxwell Friday, Hughes Saturday, Roedig Sunday. No idea on the lineup. Still a lot of question marks about certain guys. Hall has battled a back injury all off season, and suffered from vertigo. Unsure of whether he’ll start opening weekend. Waddell and Guldberg will almost definitely be 1-2, don’t know who will hit 3rd, especially if Hall isn’t playing, but Radcliffe probably 4th. Other than that, it’s anybody’s guess. Honestly a few of you guys could get some ABs on Friday and it would hardly affect the outcome of the game
Ok... I made my joke. So seriously...I like the rotation. I'd interpret that plan to be just for this weekend & expect more experience to get Fri going forward. But this weekend... Fri is clearly the weakest opponent of the 3 games & having Hughes & Roedig go against Cincinnati & St John's makes good sense. All I can ask for is good sense.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Ok... I made my joke. So seriously...I like the rotation. I'd interpret that plan to be just for this weekend & expect more experience to get Fri going forward. But this weekend... Fri is clearly the weakest opponent of the 3 games & having Hughes & Roedig go against Cincinnati & St John's makes good sense. All I can ask for is good sense.
I agree. It’s good to get Hughes and Roedig against the 2 better teams, but it will also provide a good look at Maxwell. The matchup itself won’t provide any juice, but making his first appearance on opening day will get the nerves up. Even if we pitch/play defense terrible, St. Peter’s gave up at least 20 runs on 6 occasions last year, and 15 or more 13 times. There’s going to be a lot of new faces make appearances on the mound and at the plate on Friday. Looking forward to it.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the rotation will settle into
Hughes
Roedig
Bartnicki or Maxwell

Bullpen
Archer
I think Jenkins gets a chance to be a 2 way player.

Lineup
Waddell - SS
Guldberg - RF
Webb - 3rd
Radcliff - RF
Compton - 1st
Hall - CF
Jenkins - DH
Holland - C
Wilhite - 2nd

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Hughes
Roedig
Bartnicki or Maxwell

Bullpen
Archer
I think Jenkins gets a chance to be a 2 way player.

Lineup
Waddell - SS
Guldberg - RF
Webb - 3rd
Radcliff - RF
Compton - 1st
Hall - CF
Jenkins - DH
Holland - C
Wilhite - 2nd
I really like Jenkins and DH is perfect for him. I think he is going to be another English and he could probably be the closer this year.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
The wildcard, IMO, at DH is Reid. You hear a ton of positive things about his power, but he might not be as far along in adjusting to the college game as the other guys.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given our coaching staff, I'm not worried.

First time in a decade I can say that.

Hughes, Roedig, Bartnicki start but short work of we get leads to develop middle relievers.

Archer and Maxwell close.

Just a guess. I am Charlie Brown ready to kick the carp (tic) out of the football.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck

Lineup
Waddell - SS
Guldberg - RF
Webb - 3rd
Radcliff - RF
Compton - 1st
Hall - CF
Jenkins - DH
Holland - C
Wilhite - 2nd

Not a ton of power in that lineup. Don't know much about Compton, Jenkins, Holland though, and they're playing 3 positions where you typically generate some of your power from.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Not a ton of power in that lineup. Don't know much about Compton, Jenkins, Holland though, and they're playing 3 positions where you typically generate some of your power from.
We don't need a lot of power. We have a lot of speed and the ability to get on base at an extremely high level.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
CDH mentioned we would need to manufacture runs more this year than we have in the past. I seem to recall bunting like 10x/game a season or two ago

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CDH mentioned we would need to manufacture runs more this year than we have in the past. I seem to recall bunting like 10x/game a season or two ago

A bit of hyperbole on 10x bunts per game I think. But yes we did a lot of bunt for hitting with our faster players. It's called an in-field hit when they do that.

I don't like trying to rely on home run hitting; it's too inconsistent. I'm worried about The Baron striking out as much as he did this summer. Especially against good pitching that knows what he has trouble hitting and has control.

Interesting, have we ever played "small" ball under CDH? This will be different if true....

I think we played a lot more small ball under Ramsey than we have before. And we were much more patient at the plate. Under Hall though, we typically have had a very good hitting team, just more power.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does anyone have a good place to view those detailed stats? I'd like to know our bunt attempts, bunts that resulted in hits, sac bunts.

Among other things.

No. But if someone does I'll be amazed. The reason is that the box scores don't usually break down bunts and weakly hit in field hits. I think sometime good fast hitters will hit into the ground to get a high hop and he able to let it out. A thing of beauty when we do it.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Those 3 are Big, Strong dudes whom I predict will supply plenty of power.