Pitching Question....

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know why freshman pitchers Jake Brace & Hugh Chapman have not thrown an inning yet? Curious minds would like to know. Also note that Gooden has not pitched yet either. Boy o' boy...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know why freshman pitchers Jake Brace & Hugh Chapman have not thrown an inning yet? Curious minds would like to know. Also note that Gooden has not pitched yet either. Boy o' boy...
I was wondering this too, but I feel like we'll probably see them this weekend.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Last year they pitched everyone by March so perhaps we should see a few more tomorrow especially after today's win. I am thinking redshirt for a couple too. After this weekend we should know more.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year they pitched everyone by March so perhaps we should see a few more tomorrow especially after today's win. I am thinking redshirt for a couple too. After this weekend we should know more.
Likely depends a lot on if injuries occur and also if we cannot find effective starters. Some P may have to be thrust into action even if CDH would rather try to redshirt them.

Ones we haven’t seen yet:
Combs
Carpenter (injured)
Gooden
Chapman (starting tomorrow)
Brace

Any other P that I’m missing? Mannelly got his first mound time tonight.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is there redshirt potential for anyone?

When was the last time we redshirted anyone for other than medical reasons? I don't read about a lot of other teams redshirting to preserve talent.

For college baseball, the large numbers going to the minor leagues after 3 years seem to make it of little use to red shirt to preserve talent for later years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When was the last time we redshirted anyone for other than medical reasons? I don't read about a lot of other teams redshirting to preserve talent.

For college baseball, the large numbers going to the minor leagues after 3 years seem to make it of little use to red shirt to preserve talent for later years.
Your question and point are well-taken. I've asked this question before; and frankly, have not "learned" anything new...because I haven't tried hard enough. I do catch myself applying the redshirt "philosophy" from football to baseball. That's obviously no correct...it's apples and oranges.

I have to just assume the answer to the question from the OP is that (assuming they are healthy) we'll see them when the situation and their perceived (by coaching staff) potential contribution dictate. We are only 5 games into the season and have had 3 quality starts that did not require digging deep into the bullpen over several games in a row. ...how great is that?! :)