Pitch Selection

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For a snowy day .... just got done shoveling for 2 hours total and chores...... I was thinking about what @Chan15A said in the Kel Johnson thread, "I'd like to see Danny Hall move the lineup a bit (to move Kel) to the 5-spot or 2 spot, getting him more fastballs. He's still young so lets take some pressure off."

I thought pitch selection depended largely on
1) batter strengths / weaknesses
2) Men on base & # of outs?
3) Count & pitcher strength?

And as far as count goes, there is always the pitch sequence. Here's an article I found last year about pitch sequence. http://pitchingprofessor.com/Article_Pitch_sequence.html

Don't confuse me with someone who knows much about this subject, but it is interesting. There are articles on this site about "the benefits of unifying directional and rotational forces" and other stuff.

I don't think our guys need a lot of this, they just need to throw strikes. (tic) To me it's real simple, start off every batter with a strike and finish up every batter with a strike.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I liked John Smoltz's old line - "I want every pitch to be an OUT." (or words to that effect) I.e. Strikes aren't always what you really want.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I liked John Smoltz's old line - "I want every pitch to be an OUT." (or words to that effect) I.e. Strikes aren't always what you really want.

True, that's what you want every pitch to result in.

But there is only so much that a pitcher can do. He can throw strikes or balls. He can't get outs otherwise unless it's hit to him or a pick off. Pitchers need to worry about the things that they can control and rely on their D. I think a lot of pitchers get too worried about the ball going into play and try to get too fancy. Something about the game being 90% mental ......

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
True, that's what you want every pitch to result in.

But there is only so much that a pitcher can do. He can throw strikes or balls. He can't get outs otherwise unless it's hit to him or a pick off. Pitchers need to worry about the things that they can control and rely on their D. I think a lot of pitchers get too worried about the ball going into play and try to get too fancy. Something about the game being 90% mental ......

Excellent summary.