Pistol - Flexbone advantages

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Was hoping that this video would have had some kind of narration that explained the advantages instead of just showing highlights of a team running it.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Was hoping that this video would have had some kind of narration that explained the advantages instead of just showing highlights of a team running it.

Sorry that it doesn't. I can look for one. I posted this to see what everyone thought of the advantages or disadvantages.

Me personally, and I am not a coach, I am thinking that backing the QB and BB up 3-5 yards behind center would give the QB a half of a second longer to look down his read during the mesh... Just me. Maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
This is a play, if you want to coach triple option football, your players have to know like the backs of their hands. Why? Because this is the play that all the other plays in this offense feed off of. If this play is unsuccessful, you're going to have a long day on offense.
Thanks. I'll need to watch it in pieces but the first minute, the above quote has me hooked.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
This was the system I coached.
We did very well for our level when we had a QB that could execute - led league in passing yards, passing TDs, rushing yards, the QB was the league leader in rushing, etc.

When he left, we struggled.

It's just like anything else. If you have players that execute well, you do good things. If you don't, you struggle.

I know GT ran some pistol veer as a double option in the Spring and once or twice v Duke. It didn't look smooth

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Sorry that it doesn't. I can look for one. I posted this to see what everyone thought of the advantages or disadvantages.

Me personally, and I am not a coach, I am thinking that backing the QB and BB up 3-5 yards behind center would give the QB a half of a second longer to look down his read during the mesh... Just me. Maybe I am wrong.

The pistol or diamond gives you more ability to make the D bite on a run fake. Fake the mesh, and even pretend to ride it to the line before pulling in an throwing it. We are not built to throw on every play out of the diamond or pistol. If the safeties are trying to key in on the run (as they should in our offense) the diamond is another dimension to make them respect the pass. It is typically easier to throw out of that formation. To run out of this formation the QB must be quick, decisive, make the correct read, and players must block. In the flexbone, if a block is missed or the QB incorrectly gives the ball it should be a one yard gain or no gain. In the diamond or pistol it is at least a 2-3 yard loss. The QB has more space to try to read the DE or LB, but the defense will have more time for the safety to charge the alley, and the LBs will have more time to flow to the play side for run support. The way CPJ probably wanted to use the diamond and pistol was to run first, then fake the run and throw to an Aback opposite the playside fake. We were not effective executing the run, so we were not able to get the D to over commit to the run fake.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
The diamond gave us the potential for certain quick throws and easier pass lanes, but took away two vertical pass threats and thus allowed secondaries to cheat up.

It's not necessarily a better passing formation than our base formation