Picnic with Mario, Synjyn, Buzz and Free King of Pops

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
When: Saturday, May 19, 12:30-3:30pm ET
Where: Fowler Park in Cumming, GA

The event is 100% free of charge. No catch. Just come out and join. For the full details, click here or send me a PM, as this is an event I helped coordinate. I'm interested in hearing if anyone from GTSwarm is planning to join.

We're open to GT alumni, family and friends in Cumming, GA. Bring your own food if you'd like to picnic at the pavilion.

Schedule:
  • 1-2:30pm - Buzz will be there for shenanigans and pictures
  • 2:30-3pm - Mario West and Synjyn Days will speak. Both will talk about their path thru GT and beyond, and I may throw a few questions at them as well.
Both Mario and Synjyn offered to stick around for a short while before and after and I'm sure will be open to some photos.

But wait, there's more...
There will be an auction of 1 Paul Johnson signed football and 1 Josh Pastner signed basketball.
We'll have free King of Pops
There will be yard games and music.

Hope to see some of you there!

upload_2018-5-4_14-19-44.png

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll have to run the Greenway that day, park at Fowler Park, hit about a 6 mile run. I'm not an Alumi so I may have to be a friend of someone.
ChasonBaller, I may have dunked on you at Fowler Park, if you played on the outside courts by the track.

Deleted member 2897

I'll have to run the Greenway that day, park at Fowler Park, hit about a 6 mile run. I'm not an Alumi so I may have to be a friend of someone.
ChasonBaller, I may have dunked on you at Fowler Park, if you played on the outside courts by the track.

If you're not an alumni but a fan of the program, you should get double points! Thank you for being a fan!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Your spring game report was really appreciated and i hope this year proves u correct on lucas.

I hope u have a blast at the party. S Days is a great team player at Ga Tech. At the walk ups he would go get a family group hug just as he stepped up on to the gt stadium curb.

NOD, if u get to see him, please ask him a question about his sideline decorum during an interception pic 6 in the 2014 Clemson game.

As the gt db was going into score, SD went prancing and celebrating down the sideline right past coach johnson. Coach saw him wizz by and started to say something . I think when he saw it was SD, he smiled and shook his head realizing that even a 5TH YEAR SENIOR IS STILL A KID THAT LOVES FOOTBALL. Also, I wonder if coach called him out later.
CLASS - HE AND LASKEY both stayed for their 5 th year WHILE SHARING BB! He and laskey hit stride and were a big part of the 14 run. I hope we get that team spirit again.
Now i m glad to have guys like him and TEVIN on staff

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Your spring game report was really appreciated and i hope this year proves u correct on lucas.

I hope u have a blast at the party. S Days is a great team player at Ga Tech. At the walk ups he would go get a family group hug just as he stepped up on to the gt stadium curb.

NOD, if u get to see him, please ask him a question about his sideline decorum during an interception pic 6 in the 2014 Clemson game.

As the gt db was going into score, SD went prancing and celebrating down the sideline right past coach johnson. Coach saw him wizz by and started to say something . I think when he saw it was SD, he smiled and shook his head realizing that even a 5TH YEAR SENIOR IS STILL A KID THAT LOVES FOOTBALL. Also, I wonder if coach called him out later.
CLASS - HE AND LASKEY both stayed for their 5 th year WHILE SHARING BB! He and laskey hit stride and were a big part of the 14 run. I hope we get that team spirit again.
Now i m glad to have guys like him and TEVIN on staff

I met Synjyn when he was a recruit watching brother Jabari, I sat by their family during one of the open fall scrimmages, briefly gave greeting to him at this year's spring game, he retuned greeting as if he remembered me but not sure.
If I see him, I bring up the Clemson pick 6.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing that an pretty small town like Cumming is able to arrange something like that, and there is NOTHING EVER like that in Augusta.
It wasn't Cumming that organized it, rather it was the Alpharetta & West Lanier alumni network. I'm guessing there's a network that covers the Augusta area?

Before I started volunteering, I viewed the alumni association as an entity that generally existed to solicit money. Sound familiar? I wanted to change that, and I also wanted (and still want) GT athletics to be more front and center, both in school and in the community. We have fundraisers for scholarships at some events throughout the year. This is an event to give back, and I'd be happy to share details with those who want to try something similar.

Our numbers at events aren't always huge, so it'll be interesting to see how a free event not far from ATL with big names, Buzz and free popsicles will do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I met Synjyn when he was a recruit watching brother Jabari, I sat by their family during one of the open fall scrimmages, briefly gave greeting to him at this year's spring game, he retuned greeting as if he remembered me but not sure.
If I see him, I bring up the Clemson pick 6.
We watch the player walk up - mainly to watch the kids and their families greet each other. After Jabari bowed up , his family stayed strong and insisted he work his way back . Coach let him on scout team in 14 and Roof moved him to DT. On game day 1 Coach let him walk with him at the head of the team. Coach as walked passed the family waiting on the curb to Gt football , the family waited until Jabari stepped up and they gave him a huge (and they are not small) family hug. Jabari did his best but the bend but don't break defense was a disaster for him.
I wonder what SD would say about JDH would do in our new attacking defense. I think his LD agility and strength would make him an ideal quick NT. ???

It wasn't Cumming that organized it, rather it was the Alpharetta & West Lanier alumni network. I'm guessing there's a network that covers the Augusta area?

Before I started volunteering, I viewed the alumni association as an entity that generally existed to solicit money. Sound familiar? I wanted to change that, and I also wanted (and still want) GT athletics to be more front and center, both in school and in the community. We have fundraisers for scholarships at some events throughout the year. This is an event to give back, and I'd be happy to share details with those who want to try something similar.

Our numbers at events aren't always huge, so it'll be interesting to see how a free event not far from ATL with big names, Buzz and free popsicles will do.
Augusta used to have a large Tech Club here, but since the middle years of Chan's time at Tech, there has been nothing. I think the one or two people who made it go here have passed on, and nobody stepped up to take things over. The last thing we had here in Augusta was the last year they had the coaches' caravan. I get various emails from our local "network," but all they have are game-watching get-togethers, and since I go to all the home games, I'm not interested. I have no idea what kind of turnout they get. Bud Petersen is coming here in June for some sort of shindig, and I am going to try to go, but I want some coaches and former players to come, but sadly, there's nobody here to get that to happen.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Augusta used to have a large Tech Club here, but since the middle years of Chan's time at Tech, there has been nothing. I think the one or two people who made it go here have passed on, and nobody stepped up to take things over. The last thing we had here in Augusta was the last year they had the coaches' caravan. I get various emails from our local "network," but all they have are game-watching get-togethers, and since I go to all the home games, I'm not interested. I have no idea what kind of turnout they get. Bud Petersen is coming here in June for some sort of shindig, and I am going to try to go, but I want some coaches and former players to come, but sadly, there's nobody here to get that to happen.
Looks like that should be you

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Event is happening tomorrow, rain or shine. Plenty of space under the pavilion, unless we drastically exceed attendance expectations. Please feel free to spread the word if you know anyone who might be interested - alum, family or friends - doesn't matter.

upload_2018-5-16_13-40-34-png.3556

Forecast looking better right now... and at least it won't be hot as blazes
upload_2018-5-18_8-42-7.png

Looking forward to meeting folks there.