PFF Season Grades to date

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I know Pro Football Focus isn’t the gospel, but it’s pretty much the only quantitative player data we have access to outside of box scores. First pic below is the order of offensive player grades (best to worst). The TOT column is # of snaps. Second pic is the same for defense.

I won’t post details since this isn’t free, but if anyone has specific questions just PM me. They even have details such as where players lined up, their grades on specific plays (run blocking, receiving, etc.), and a bunch of other cool stats you can’t get anywhere else.

Initial comment I’ll make in regards to the grades below is Ryan Johnson and Ayinde Eley haven’t missed a snap this year. But each have graded out as pretty much the lowest on their respective unit so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’ll post some grades that pop out to me. These rankings do require a minimum number of snaps to qualify (only FBS players are graded during the season).

Jordan Yates ranks 20/164 of all QBs in his passing grade.

Charlie Thomas currently ranks as the 6th best linebacker in the country (out of 461). Ayinde Eley is 399th.

Jordan Dominick currently ranks as the 12th best edge defender in the country (out of 461).

Devin Cochran is the #2 graded pass blocking tackle in the nation, out of 399 (yet only grades out at #110 overall).

Nick Pendley grades out as the #339 tackle out of 399. Jordan Williams is #255.

Ryan Johnson grades as the #310 guard, out of 410.

Ja’Quon Griffin is the #40 graded interior defender out of 534 (his 43 snaps do qualify him for the minimum threshold, but only 4 players ranked ahead of him have played fewer snaps).

Kyric McGowan grades out as the #44 WR out of 555.

Juanyeh Thomas’ pass coverage grade is #458 out of 471 safeties.

Wesley Walker’s run defense grade is 5th in the nation out of 471 safeties.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This following is somewhat of a less significant stat because of limited sample size and obviously against lesser talent. But I think it may reveal something more about either the player or the program as a whole.

Out of 320 RBs graded, Jahmyr Gibbs is ranked #5 in PASS BLOCKING. The best player in our program with the most NFL money potential, doing thing that sacrifices his body the most.

I could be over-reacting/reaching, but to me this either shows that 1.) the program culture Collins is selling/pushing may actually be BS or 2.) Jahmyr Gibbs is a very selfless football player.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’ll post some grades that pop out to me. These ranking do require a minimum number of snaps to qualify (only FBS players are graded during the season).

Charlie Thomas currently ranks as the 6th best linebacker in the country (out of 461). Ayinde Eley is 399th.

Jordan Dominick currently ranks as the 12th best edge defender in the country (out of 461).

Devin Cochran is the #2 graded pass blocking tackle in the nation, out of 399 (yet only grades out at #110 overall).

I'd like to see Kirby get more snaps on the OL. I wonder what the deal is there...maybe just not enough practice snaps for Key to feel comfortable? I think Cochrane graded out high as a pass blocker at Vandy...might be his run blocking that's knocking him back. Our OL overall...dang.

Eley grades out poorly by PFF, but the guy is a tackling machine. I haven't really paid attention to him outside of him putting up big numbers.

Our best safeties have been the backups. Crazy how much Juanyeh and Tariq have taken steps back since their early years. IMO, both have outgrown the position.

Kyric McGowin was such a fantastic transfer pickup. He doesn't have the deep speed that Ahmarean Brown had, but McGowin is a better overall slot receiver. BTW, McGowin's numbers vs Brown's at USCe after 2 games is not even close.

Dontae deserves more carries. He's developed into a REALLY good player. His stat line is ridiculous (9 att, 97 yards, 2 TDs.). He has more TDs rushing than any other RB.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This following is somewhat of a less significant stat because of limited sample size and obviously against lesser talent. But I think it may reveal something more about either the player or the program as a whole.

Out of 320 RBs graded, Jahmyr Gibbs is ranked #5 in PASS BLOCKING. The best player in our program with the most NFL money potential, doing thing that sacrifices his body the most.

I could be over-reacting/reaching, but to me this either shows that 1.) the program culture Collins is selling/pushing may actually be BS or 2.) Jahmyr Gibbs is a very selfless football player.
Past the edit time, but think it’s obvious I meant to say may actually not* be BS

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Here’s Ryan Johnson and Ayinde Eley’s career PFF grades. All this says to me is the performance this season (albeit according to PFF) isn’t an outlier.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Here are the career grades for Tariq Carpenter (first picture) and Juanyeh Thomas (second picture).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here’s Ryan Johnson and Ayinde Eley’s career PFF grades. All this says to me is the performance this season (albeit according to PFF) isn’t an outlier.

View attachment 11173

View attachment 11174

Johnson has more history to read from at GT than Eley. Johnson left UT with fairly good numbers in 2019, but has regressed since he's been at GT. His pass blocking 2019 at UT was actually good...though he was mainly used as a reserve. He's hitting all time lows in overall blocking and pass blocking...and he's doing it against NIU and KSU. Does not make me feel good heading into our ACC schedule.

Eley's overall tackling rate is at an all time high here...and the stats are showing that. He just needs to clean up his pass coverage.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Tre Swilling’s career progression according to PFF:

I’ll probably do a single game grade post after Clemson and then a season grade update after Carolina.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’ll post some grades that pop out to me. These rankings do require a minimum number of snaps to qualify (only FBS players are graded during the season).

Ja’Quon Griffin is the #40 graded interior defender out of 534 (his 43 snaps do qualify him for the minimum threshold, but only 4 players ranked ahead of him have played fewer snaps).

If you are a graduate of GT and you look at the FACTS. Can you blame Geoff Collins for these numbers? Juanyeh is #458 out of 471

We are way less talented than our fans think.

Guards in the 300s.

Sure there’s coaching issues and I dont Want to rip players either BUT….that’s bad.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If you are a graduate of GT and you look at the FACTS. Can you blame Geoff Collins for these numbers? Juanyeh is #458 out of 471

Guards in the 300s.

Sure there’s coaching issues and I dont Want to rip players either BUT….that’s bad.
Geoff Collins made Tariq and Juanyeh get bigger, remember? That was his great plan, make everyone on the team bigger. So yes I can at least partially blame him.

slugboy

Staff member
Geoff Collins made Tariq and Juanyeh get bigger, remember? That was his great plan, make everyone on the team bigger. So yes I can at least partially blame him.
I know he wanted bigger linemen. When did he say he wanted Tariq and Juanyeh to get their current size?

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

Guards in the 300s.

I think you can wonder why players have regressed over the last few years, and why transfers are performing worse than at previous schools.