PFF Grades Through UNC Game

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Apologize if it's been answered somewhere and I've jut missed it, but I've seen lots of oblique references to White perhaps playing in each game and nothing yet. I'm not clear if it is injury or something else keeping him out. Do we have any answers or strong theories?

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
Apologize if it's been answered somewhere and I've jut missed it, but I've seen lots of oblique references to White perhaps playing in each game and nothing yet. I'm not clear if it is injury or something else keeping him out. Do we have any answers or strong theories?
I saw he had been injured and was expected to miss a few games

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just a guess: he doesn't have the footwork down for right tackle. He can only play left tackle, and he can't beat out Cochran. No telling what kind of coaching he got at Norfolk State. He's only had a fall with us. Wish he was like White and Eley and had 2 years with us.

I like him better at guard, and I believe I read somewhere that's where the scouts thought his NFL future was. I thought Key cross trained guys across the line. Maybe he's not willing to move from OT?

Jolly Good Fellow
2 thoughts based on the above

1. I understand we have several "big uglies" as Keith Jackson called them who post here (some of whom actually played FB! ;)). Regarding Cochran, my understanding was/is that run blocking is easier than pass blocking. Am I incorrect? If not, why the discrepancy on Cochran's numbers?

2. A trio of effective interior DT's!!!! Did you ever think you would live long enough to see that. Plus Zeek B looks to have enormous upside as does Stone. Hallelujah.
"....run blocking is easier than pass blocking...."
Absolutely, positively true....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

@7979 I thought that was the case. Can you speak then as to why someone could grade at higher then as a pass blocker ? I am struggling to understand this.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can some one advise about this Pff stuff relative to hiking the ball- low; high, just right?

A few years ago Cooper gave it a try - iidc it was at end of game - we lost.
Iirc Some one else was trying last year and now Minnhan is our center. Earlier this year ( i deleted those game) I remember he was low on a lot of snaps .

I did re watch the UNC game and his snaps looked very good to me.

That is an easily Measured and Tracked Stat which is very important. If pff had some info on that - i bet we looked very good in UNC game.

Ps my son coached ol and had a great blocking center but under pressure - here comes johnny.!!

Last edited:

Jolly Good Fellow

@7979 I thought that was the case. Can you speak then as to why someone could grade at higher then as a pass blocker ? I am struggling to understand this.
Two distinctly different skill sets...you can get away in run blocking by being lower body strong and by playing pissed off...pass protect is combo of GREAT feet and upper body strength..
The great Kent Hill was a very average run blocker while at Tech....couldn't get on the field as Fresh or Soph while we ran wishbone...but in '78, Pepper dropped the bone and Kent became a future NFL all-pro...because he could pass protect.....the under-rated and overlooked Billy Shields was an NFL'er who was super soft run blocker in college but fabulous pro pass blocker...Shaq Mason was a devastating run blocker who made himself an above average NFL pass blocking OG...I thought Parker Braun was best run blocker I ever saw playing at GT but apparently he struggled once he left Paul's TO and had to dance around with rush Dline guys... Of course, the GOAT of all Tech linemen was John Davis...who came in a beast in both aspects of OL play...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Two distinctly different skill sets...you can get away in run blocking by being lower body strong and by playing pissed off...pass protect is combo of GREAT feet and upper body strength..
The great Kent Hill was a very average run blocker while at Tech....couldn't get on the field as Fresh or Soph while we ran wishbone...but in '78, Pepper dropped the bone and Kent became a future NFL all-pro...because he could pass protect.....the under-rated and overlooked Billy Shields was an NFL'er who was super soft run blocker in college but fabulous pro pass blocker...Shaq Mason was a devastating run blocker who made himself an above average NFL pass blocking OG...I thought Parker Braun was best run blocker I ever saw playing at GT but apparently he struggled once he left Paul's TO and had to dance around with rush Dline guys... Of course, the GOAT of all Tech linemen was John Davis...who came in a beast in both aspects of OL play...

It's going to be really interesting to see how Cochran develops. He was one of the best pass blockers in the SEC (that includes those 'Bama OLs), and he's rated as an elite pass blocker so far with GT. He's not as strong in run blocking. Prototypical NFL OT...6'7, 330+ lbs. Long arms. He's going to be on an NFL roster next year.

Devin Cochran, OT, Georgia Tech

Devin Cochran is someone I’ve been waiting to watch for a while and he hasn’t disappointed this season. He initially made my board as a sophomore at Vanderbilt, where he was a 32-game starter. Cochran transferred to Georgia Tech in 2020, opted out last year, then returned to grab the starting left tackle job this season. He’s a massive lineman (6’7″ and 325 pounds) who shows great strength at the point and blocks with solid fundamentals. Mostly ignored by NFL scouts entering the season, Cochran could definitely play right tackle at the next level.

The year off didn't hurt him in terms of performance, but I expect Cochran to be dominant once he gets his feet under him in the coming games.