Perkins to A-back

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not odd at all, both were recruited as Strong Safeties and Waller was thought to be able to grow into an OLB with great speed and mobility.

S. Days was offered by Okie State and pursued pretty hard as a potential S. safety IIRC.

Ok, you want odd, I thought Waller should've been made into a DE similar to what Bruce Irvin (WVU, now Seahawks) is.

Ok, you want odd, I thought Waller should've been made into a DE similar to what Bruce Irvin (WVU, now Seahawks) is.

No way would CPJ ever think outside the box and do anything like that, those 23 catches in two years by Waller were much too important to our team's success during that time frame.

Chad

Georgia Tech Fan
Our back field should ok with Perkins,Andrews,and Laskey/Custis. Does anyone else agree with this?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Laskey is proven. He is gutsy and explosive for short yardage. He also has shown he can catch passes thrown to him. Custis is not proven at this time, but that does not mean he can't do the job. I certainly hope we have more potential B-Backs than this. Redshirt players often fill in nicely and sometimes even better than the previous players, so there is hope for all the backfield positions. I believe Perkins will do well at A-Back. Game exposure does wonders for some players. Playing more this year may bring out the best in some of last year's reserves.

Speed is really needed for the A-Back positions, but, personally, I also like to see an A-Back explode into the tacklers. Often, an explosive back can burst through the crease between two tacklers if he uses strength and another gear. The situations where the defenders have been blocked out of the play is fine, but often the back has to create his own yardage to keep a drive going. Personally, I detest seeing a back or quarterback go out of bounds when he could cut inside and gain a few extra yards.

However, the effectiveness of the option depends on the actions of the quarteback. Either the coach must use a quarterback adept with the option or change the offense to the talents of the non-option quarterback. If this is not done, it will make little difference who plays A-Back or B-Back.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Perkins has been at A Back this entire season. There was no intent to move him back to B Back. He has a reconstructed shoulder that has limited his playing time and could end his career at any time if he takes a hit that causes any further damage. Doctors advised him not to play but he wanted to try it one more time. He got a head injury in the Clemson game that kept him out of the last couple of games this season.

Charles is a good young man and will do well in life. I hope he stays healthy and can contribute next year but I think his role will be somewhat restricted just due to his physical situation.

Go Jackets!

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Perkins didn't touch the ball much, but when he did he was effective. I'm not sure of the YPC stat but I would guess it was close to 10. Idk who will fill Godhighs shoes but Perkins could be a strong candidate.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Perkins didn't touch the ball much, but when he did he was effective. I'm not sure of the YPC stat but I would guess it was close to 10. Idk who will fill Godhighs shoes but Perkins could be a strong candidate.
Dennis Andrews has been the most dynamic Aback with the ball in his hands that will be playing next year. He needs to block better and get better at some other things. However, the coaches will tell you right now he has the most potential at that position.