Perkins to A-back

Ramblinwreck7

Georgia Tech Fan
I like the move. It adds size and a different type of player/ability to the position. Hopefully it will work out for him. I'm still rooting for the guy and hope it all comes together for him this year.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Perkins should have been an A-Back from the git-g0. So should Sims & Snoddy. Daniel Drummond's career has been wasted at Tech, he and Zack Laskey should have been the number 1 candidates at B-Back. Synjyn Days may have been another candidate for B-Back. The need for a B-Back is a big body to get 4-10 yards on each carry. They do not need to take it to the house on every play, that is only a dream of the coach. There are few around who have the strength and accelleration of Dyer. Even Custis will not have the accelleration of Dyer. Drummond was a B-Back in High School, has the weight and toughness to keep the middle honest. Zack Laskey is the best we have at present for B-Back. I would not care if the back was the best blocker on the team as long as he got the yards when he had the ball. He could be a mediocre blocker as long as he could pick up the required yardage.

GTJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
1. Dwyer*

2. Days had serious fumbling issues when he was playing QB, so it's not unreasonable to think that the staff wouldn't trust him to hold onto the football at B-Back. And he's done a fine job playing A-Back.

3. What is your issue with Sims? He was a very good B-Back for us, and I'm confused why you think Drummond would have been better. As I recall, Drummond was given his shot at B-Back when we brought him in, but he ended up being a better fit at LB. If you have any other reason to back that up, I'd love to hear it and discuss.

4. I completely agree that Laskey is our best option at B-Back for 2014. Once we get Custis in practice we'll be able to know for sure, but I would be shocked if Laskey didn't at least get the job to start the season.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the correction "Dwyer". I have no issue with Sims in particular. He has done a good job for the B-Back position pushed on him, but I believe he would have been much better and more explosive at A-Back. To me, he is a tweener at B-Back. I prefer the bigger backs for this position even though they may not be quite as fast when they break through the line, but they are generally harder to hold to just a few yards. The bigger B-Backs begin to punish the linebackers and make themselves more dangerous to the middle of the defense. The B-Backs should be punishing the middle of the defense. I think Drummond was taken out of the B-Back competition because he was not fast enough to take it to the house on a frequency which PJ wanted. However, I believe he would have been effective with his toughness and extra weight. I don't think Days would have fumbled anymore at the B-Back position than catching the lateral on the sweep or option. I think Days is a very strong back and is a tough back. Sims also appears to have good hands for catching passes and may have proven to be a better asset at A-Back. We all have our opinions, but these are mine. By the way, Drummond was a defensive end in High School. He was moved to linebacker, but has not played that much at that position. That is the reason I consider his career somewhat of a waste. He was considered a very good defensive end, but may have been more of tackler than a pass rushing end.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
B Back is required to read the defense the same as the QB. The ability to read the defense is critical to being a B Back. A Back reads nothing.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Collegeballfan: I can understand the reasoning that the B-Back has to read the defense, but this does not mean that the other backs could not learn to read the defense, however, for all I know, Drummond might have made it known that he only wanted to play defense. I followed his progress and had high hopes for him. I guess my statement of "wasting his career" was overstating the situation. I knew he was a bruiser in High School as a running back.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Perkins should have been an A-Back from the git-g0. So should Sims & Snoddy. Daniel Drummond's career has been wasted at Tech, he and Zack Laskey should have been the number 1 candidates at B-Back. Synjyn Days may have been another candidate for B-Back. The need for a B-Back is a big body to get 4-10 yards on each carry. They do not need to take it to the house on every play, that is only a dream of the coach. There are few around who have the strength and accelleration of Dyer. Even Custis will not have the accelleration of Dyer. Drummond was a B-Back in High School, has the weight and toughness to keep the middle honest. Zack Laskey is the best we have at present for B-Back. I would not care if the back was the best blocker on the team as long as he got the yards when he had the ball. He could be a mediocre blocker as long as he could pick up the required yardage.

Are you a new Tech fan? Perkins was tried at A Back, but the position didn't fit his style of running. Drummond started his career at Tech with a one year NCAA suspension in which compliance probably affected his athletic ability. Weather Sims or Laskey is the better B Back is a matter choice. Laskey started out at safety because of lack of depth and need for a punt returner. Sims and Days (I think it was their choice) started out at quarterback.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
RK, I think you're overestimating Drummond a bit. He was a 4-star in HS but that ranking may have been smoke/mirrors. iopjacket's assessment may be accurate there. Plus you can't dismiss Laskey's blocking troubles, especially since we all want to see us open up the passing game.

Speaking of odd opinions, I've always thought Days should've been on defense. Waller too.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
kgo1: I too have imagined the combination of both of the Day brothers at linebacker at the same time. Again, it is possible Syngyn did not want to play on the defense, but I would like to have seen the trial of that combination. I also understand that Drummond may have been overrated, but I still would like to see him at the B-Back position, especially at the beginning of his College Career. I probably would have used him there for the first year, to see how he progressed, since he did well there in High School. I also understand that his physical makeup might have made him look better as a back in high school, but does not insure the same results on the College level.

Since, Tech attempts few passes, I would have overlooked Laskey's blocking on pass plays because he is such an agressivc runner from the B-Back position. Since PJ often rotates Sims and Laskey, I doubt if the opposition would notice a pass play by the absence of Laskey in the game.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Drummond was taken out of the B-Back competition because he was not fast enough to take it to the house on a frequency which PJ wanted.

I would find it very hard to believe the reason drummond wasn't given more a shot at bback is because he couldn't take it to the house. I really don't hink he's that much slower then sims/laskey. Even if he is lets face it neither of the other two are barn burners. How many times have they taken it to the house? If drummond was our best bet to get yardage up the middle and keep the oppossing d's honest he would've been in the backfield regardless of speed.

Macon Bee

Georgia Tech Fan
Anything that can improve our perimter blocking is wuthr the shot. Obviously, our o-line hasn't lived up to expectations, but when we did reach the edge we weren't getting safeties, olb's and corners on the ground like we did with Roddy, Lucas Cox and ohers were around. This is as critical to explosive plays as having a b.back that can take it to the house.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd love for Curtis to be the next Dwyer but I'm cot counting on him winning the starting job. He has to learn the offense first and that could take time. I'm hoping Perkins stays healthy next year. I think learning the offense and the mental side of the game, being zoned in and giving 100% in practices limited his play his first two years. Since then injures seemed to have slowed him. I think we can expect Bback by committee again next year.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"I also understand that Drummond may have been overrated, but I still would like to see him at the B-Back position, especially at the beginning of his College Career. I probably would have used him there for the first year, to see how he progressed, since he did well there in High School."

Drummond spent his first year at BBack and was not productive. So the move to LB.
Perkins started out at BBack and was not productive. So the move to ABack.

This has really hurt BBack play the last 3 years. The two guys especially recruited for the position did not produce at that position. So Sims was moved there and has been productive. Laskey was moved there and has been productive. Both productive, but not stars.

The next "great hope" is Custis who was recruited especially for the position. We shall see. And we will probably pray a bit.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
Hard to believe Drummond's time at Tech is up already. I've been surprised we never saw him on offense that I recall. I have to assume the coaches did look at him there and decided he should play defense. Good stand-up kind of player though.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
RK, I think you're overestimating Drummond a bit. He was a 4-star in HS but that ranking may have been smoke/mirrors. iopjacket's assessment may be accurate there. Plus you can't dismiss Laskey's blocking troubles, especially since we all want to see us open up the passing game.

Speaking of odd opinions, I've always thought Days should've been on defense. Waller too.
Drummond wasn't a 4 star?? He wasn't any good once we got him off the juice. Just not talented enough to crack the two deep

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Daniel was our starter at Mike for a while. He contributed well for us, not superstar, but good contributor. When not starting, he was #2 for a good part of last year.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Daniel was our starter at Mike for a while. He contributed well for us, not superstar, but good contributor. When not starting, he was #2 for a good part of last year.
He lacked the hip flexibility and lateral quickness necessary to play Defense for a D1 football team. If you watch his game tape you'll see it. RBs run literally right by him because he couldn't move fast enough to get infront of them.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He lacked the hip flexibility and lateral quickness necessary to play Defense for a D1 football team. If you watch his game tape you'll see it. RBs run literally right by him because he couldn't move fast enough to get infront of them.
This. We all need to stop wondering what could or should have been with Drummond. The sad truth is that he just isn't that good an athlete. He runs too upright and is far too stiff to change directions. You can shake a tree and a guy who looks like a weight lifter will fall out. They are that common. Guys who can run, stay low, change direction, keep their balance through contact, and see the field are a lot harder to find. I have seen enough of #30 on film, on defense, to know he is no runner. Lets all just wish him well with his GT degree and be thankful for his contributions.

Not odd at all, both were recruited as Strong Safeties and Waller was thought to be able to grow into an OLB with great speed and mobility.

S. Days was offered by Okie State and pursued pretty hard as a potential S. safety IIRC.